Depth Chart Concerns

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Geez dudes….its opening day. We are tied for first. Why assume pending doom? Let’s wait a bit, hold our breath before we come to conclusions.
WE DON’T KNOW. We think we know, good and bad but is two days before opening day. Is this the time when we should be dragging our Richard’s on the ground?
You mean yours don't drag the ground all the time?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a message board, sir.
I get it . But it sure is easier to predict doom and then enjoy a big win than it is to predict victory and lose.

My point is we have plenty of time to sulk and bemoan the team. Just maybe not before the first game.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Did you see how many penalties the ravens had? And broken coverages? Just illegal formation penalties was off the charts and thought they played good?
I guess the NFL decided to actually enforce the rule that all linemen must be within the body of the center. How often have we seen tackles so far behind the line of scrimmage you could mistake them for a running back. You are going to see a lot of illegal formation calls the first week or so until teams decide their tackles need to be closer to the line of scrimmage.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I mentioned earlier I’ll hold my season predictions until after game one. I think this will be a great test. The Cards have historically struggled with running QBs. Allen is a monster in that regard. I’m not sure even if you spy him you can be assured of making one on one tackles. He scares me. The Cards overachieved on defense in some games last year. How much is the defense improved? If they’re better and the offense looks polished, the Cards could surprise. I just don’t see it. If I’m wrong and the Cards even make it close, then this could be an exciting season. If it’s another close first half, but the Cards can’t sustain pressure into the second half this will likely just expose the areas of concern still unresolved. If, heaven forbid, the Cards get blown out; this could be a long season. There has been so much change and the depth is questionable that it seems more likely the Cards are decent. It seems unlikely they are special. I just think this game will go a long way to inform us how much progress has been made.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess the NFL decided to actually enforce the rule that all linemen must be within the body of the center. How often have we seen tackles so far behind the line of scrimmage you could mistake them for a running back. You are going to see a lot of illegal formation calls the first week or so until teams decide their tackles need to be closer to the line of scrimmage.
I don't remember any of those calls in last night's game?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If, heaven forbid, the Cards get blown out; this could be a long season.
truth, but not a stranger

I really don’t think the Bills are strong enough for a blow out especially their opening game in front of their own fans. There will be a lot of pressure on them.

They will be prepared for our running attack early in the game. I would call pass plays early and often then pound the rock relentlessly wearing down their defense for the second half. I would use MHJ as a decoy in the first half and unleash him when the CB is tired from chasing him.

Run, run then throw will be playing into their hands.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think our tight end and running games will be better than 2015
The 2015 running game was beastly. We were three deep with our best of the bunch being 3rd and our first leading the league in rushing before getting injured.

That said, Kyler’s running adds a completely different element to the rushing game 2015 didn’t have.

Man, I hope this offense is good.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer finger injury and Pat Peterson punt muff cost us a super bowl appearance.
Palmer looked just fine after he injured his finger when we destroyed the Packers in week 16. He just choked hard in the playoffs like he always did.

We were a VERY GOOD team but very finesse at the same time, and that Panthers physical style on both sides of the ball was likely always going to pound us, especially once the D lost Mathieu, who was its best player/leader.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Palmer looked just fine after he injured his finger when we destroyed the Packers in week 16. He just choked hard in the playoffs like he always did.

We were a VERY GOOD team but very finesse at the same time, and that Panthers physical style on both sides of the ball was likely always going to pound us, especially once the D lost Mathieu, who was its best player/leader.
thats fair, forgot about that game we smoked the packers. We just no showed for that Carolina game

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
Unless the Cards have unprecedented few injuries, their depth chart is their biggest hindrance to achieving a winning season. I guess it’s not fair to expect them to fix everything in 2 years. Still I had hoped for a more substantial depth of support focused on the O-line. Seeing names like Gaines, Colon and Adams as primary backups tells me that injuries could easily derail this season. It’s fine to say the Cards aren’t expecting to compete for the playoffs. However, it’s not fine in my mind to once again potentially expose Murray to extreme pressure. They need to keep him healthy and avoid him becoming gun shy; always having to run for survival.

I’m also concerned about the receiving corps depth. I know Pascal is useful on special teams, but with Wilson having a concerning injury history I’m not reassured that Pascal is the answer if Wilson can’t play. I know Jones let the Cards down, but there was time to secure a better backup once he was suspended. Then there’s the idea of Dortch being the primary return guy. I thought that was why they acquired Dallas. I don’t understand that investment if they weren’t protecting Dortch. Weaver’s injury is the type that can linger. So getting Dortch hurt could cause a significant negative impact.

I’m not as worried on the defensive side. The pass rush concern remains high. That will put extra pressure on the secondary, but at least there is improved depth in that group. It will cost points, but maybe not discourage the younger players.

Overall this is certainly a deeper team than last season. Nonetheless it appears any hope for major improvement will rest on keeping the offensive first string on the field and finding some way to create a semblance of a pass rush.
Harry unfortunately you called and it looks like week 1 we are already living this - hopefully he is only out a couple weeks but if he is out for good, our season could be in trouble.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Jonah Williams is OK. Because the health of this OL is key for offensive success. There is not much experience at OT past Beach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky