Depth Chart Concerns

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OG market was red-hot this offseason. I heard on some podcasts that some people were saying that OG is actually more important than OT now, which is deranged and hilarious.

If Evan Brown and Jonah Williams are the worst players on your offensive line, you can probably still have a good offense.
Yeah… I’m still hopeful that the O-line is a real strength for the team, at least as far as run blocking is concerned. If it’s not, this could be a really ugly season.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have to let the chips fall where they may. Wilson isn’t hurt until he’s hurt. We ran the ball like demons at the end of last year.
If we pick up where we left off we can win at least 1/2 of our games. Our passing attack I think is going to have more explosive plays based off of play action.
Defensively, let’s face it. We are going to have to be creative and sometimes sell out to get to the QB. Sometimes we’ll be the dog and sometimes we’ll be the hydrant.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think we have to let the chips fall where they may. Wilson isn’t hurt until he’s hurt. We ran the ball like demons at the end of last year.
If we pick up where we left off we can win at least 1/2 of our games. Our passing attack I think is going to have more explosive plays based off of play action.
Defensively, let’s face it. We are going to have to be creative and sometimes sell out to get to the QB. Sometimes we’ll be the dog and sometimes we’ll be the hydrant.
I heard on The Athletic Football Podcast that Kyler was 4th in the NFL in EPA/play off playaction last year. He really struggled in the dropback game; that's where he has to improve.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That opinion of the offensive line may be true, but I will not accept Dan Bickley's take on any sports. He definitely knows less than the other radio hosts about football, and his promo states that he is "provocative", which is all he has ever tried to do since he started in Phoenix as a newspaper sports reporter.

It was Kyle Vandenbosch stating the depth concerns again. Bickley was more reacting to it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The OG market was red-hot this offseason. I heard on some podcasts that some people were saying that OG is actually more important than OT now, which is deranged and hilarious.

If Evan Brown and Jonah Williams are the worst players on your offensive line, you can probably still have a good offense.
It was crazy a couple of those guards got like 18m a year.
In a few years having $80m tied up in the oline will be very possible.
I think it will lead to a lot more free agent movement

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was crazy a couple of those guards got like 18m a year.
In a few years having $80m tied up in the oline will be very possible.
I think it will lead to a lot more free agent movement

Salary cap jump so everyone had money.

Right now having a QB on that rookie contract is an unreal competitive advantage

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
This is nonsense. Every team has crap depth on both lines. Every once in a while there’s a backup that you know is going to slide in as a starter, but other than those outliers it’s the starters, followed by luck and hope. Across the league. Name any of KC’s backup o-line depth. Or Baltimores. This isn’t college football with 90 man rosters.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is nonsense. Every team has crap depth on both lines. Every once in a while there’s a backup that you know is going to slide in as a starter, but other than those outliers it’s the starters, followed by luck and hope. Across the league. Name any of KC’s backup o-line depth. Or Baltimores. This isn’t college football with 90 man rosters.

This I can kind of answer. They heavily drafted offensive line including Suamataia LATE round 2, who I believe is fantastic value.

Outside of that, not sure.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Williams pressure rate was 8% last year while Paris's pressure rate was 3.7%. Are you sure Williams was better statistically?
More context is needed here. Burrows could barley walk last year with his legs issues, while Dobbs and Kyler were pretty darn mobile. So, this stat by itself doesn't paint the entire picture. I'm not saying Williams will be good, but to throw this stat in a vacuum is very misleading.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I heard on The Athletic Football Podcast that Kyler was 4th in the NFL in EPA/play off playaction last year. He really struggled in the dropback game; that's where he has to improve.
You must be registered for see images attach

This is an interesting split for Kyler from last year. 16.4% play action rate. Brock Purdy attempted a pass about 21% of the time from play action last year; Patrick Mahomes used play action 13.2% of the time last year.

The 2022 Browns used play action 23.5% of the time.

Josh Dobbs as a Cardinal used play action 16.9% of the time also.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
More context is needed here. Burrows could barley walk last year with his legs issues, while Dobbs and Kyler were pretty darn mobile. So, this stat by intense doesn't paint the entire picture. I'm not saying Williams will be good, but to throw this stat in a vacuum is very misleading.
He was an average piece on the worst line in the nfl.
A lot goes into how a guy performs. Blocking schemes, play calls, the guy next to you, coaching, etc... Williams has physical ability. We just have to wait and see how that translates in our offense

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was an average piece on the worst line in the nfl.
A lot goes into how a guy performs. Blocking schemes, play calls, the guy next to you, coaching, etc... Williams has physical ability. We just have to wait and see how that translates in our offense
Thats why scouts watch 100s of hours of film on players! At least, you hope they do!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This I can kind of answer. They heavily drafted offensive line including Suamataia LATE round 2, who I believe is fantastic value.

Outside of that, not sure.
Yea except Suamataia is starting though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think it is reasonable to expect the Cardinals to add a player like Zeitler/Simpson at OG at 6 mil per (at 1 or 2 years which they signed for) along with signing Evan Brown and drafting an OG in round 3 to ensure the interior talent is improved. Have those guys battle it out as there is no long-term hindrance in moving on from any of those players. Maybe then they could have targeted an OT in round 3 along with an OG.

Shaq Griffin signed for 4.4 mil as a vet CB. Sign someone like him along with SMB, and then maybe you don't have to draft two CBs in the first three rounds. If your young players outperform him, great. If not, you can always cut or bench him later in the year to get your young guys more playing time.

I know Dvontel disagrees but signing someone like Clowney or Chase Young to battle with Ojulari isn't a bad thing if you can get those vets on a 1 or 2 year deal. It doesn't hurt anything and adds depth.

Instead, we are stuck wondering why our 2nd round pick can't beat out an UDFA from the previous year, and can either be successful with an awful pass rush in front of them?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Salary cap jump so everyone had money.

Right now having a QB on that rookie contract is an unreal competitive advantage
That's why Kyler didn't turn out to be a good #1 pick (I won't say horrible, because, let's face it, he's no Rosen One). We needed him to be good enough to lead the team into and hopefully through the playoffs on his rookie deal. He crapped the bed on his rookie deal. 1 playoff beatdown is not a successful rookie deal.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's why Kyler didn't turn out to be a good #1 pick (I won't say horrible, because, let's face it, he's no Rosen One). We needed him to be good enough to lead the team into and hopefully through the playoffs on his rookie deal. He crapped the bed on his rookie deal. 1 playoff beatdown is not a successful rookie deal.
I’d argue the scheme crapped the bed.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Spot on. O-Line is a weak position group in terms of depth for every NFL team. Look at the 49ers. They have 3 starters that wouldn't start for us.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Yeah… I think Gannon even mentioned that the expected some kind of suspension.

Which means their attempt to get good WR depth is even more suspect than it already looked, especially considering the cap space they’re still sitting on.
Probably expected 2 games and not 5.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That playoff game kyler was rattled and way over his head. I honestly believe a portion of the blame for that lands firmly on the head coach. But a big portion is simply player maturity..the spotlight was too big and once things started going bad kyler was stuck in quicksand.

However... lots of quarterbacks didn't win a playoff game in their first contract...then went on to win the Lombardi...took manning six years was it? To win a playoff game??
As long as kyler stays healthy I ain't too concerned about him. Seems the injury and staff change have really helped him get his head straight and helped him become a professional...
That's why my biggest "want" is a clinching game...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky