Diamondbacks looking to trade Byrnes?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think there is any truth to the rumor, looks like AZ Republic is speculating on ways to get rid of Byrnes.

Kablansky

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The D'backs will be able to get rid of Byrnes' contract but will have to take an equally bad on in return. If Luis Castillo can bring anything to the table in terms of a lead off hitter, the D'backs have to call it a success

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
that would be a steal he's a career .292 hitter and won gold gloves in 03-04-05 and averages over 30 sb/yr

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Looks like CoJack will be in left and who knows who will play first.

Let's extend that concept. CoJack has stated that he is much more comfortable in LF than he was at 1B, which took pressure off him at the plate this season.

There are players who need to be in the middle of the action on every play (the infield) to keep their head in the game . . . and those who do better when camped in the outfield, without that pressure.

I believe that Mark Reynolds would be more comfortable at the plate if he, too, were playing RF, for example.

Conversely, I believe that Juston Upton would achieve his potential at the plate if he is brought back to the infield -- 1B, 2B, whichever. I think he would appreciate being occupied all the time.

Perhaps one of our coaches should be a sports psychologist.

Is there a LH hitting 3rd baseman RBI guy out there who could be a true cleanup hitter, with Upton batting third, moving Reynolds to RF and hitting 5th behind him?

I'd like to see that all taken into account.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Let's extend that concept. CoJack has stated that he is much more comfortable in LF than he was at 1B, which took pressure off him at the plate this season.

There are players who need to be in the middle of the action on every play (the infield) to keep their head in the game . . . and those who do better when camped in the outfield, without that pressure.

I believe that Mark Reynolds would be more comfortable at the plate if he, too, were playing RF, for example.

Conversely, I believe that Juston Upton would achieve his potential at the plate if he is brought back to the infield -- 1B, 2B, whichever. I think he would appreciate being occupied all the time.

Perhaps one of our coaches should be a sports psychologist.

Is there a LH hitting 3rd baseman RBI guy out there who could be a true cleanup hitter, with Upton batting third, moving Reynolds to RF and hitting 5th behind him?

I'd like to see that all taken into account.

Troy Glaus?

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope this is not true. As much as I hate Byrnes we have to remember. He didnt give up on us, so we shouldn't give up on him.

This isn't tee-ball. The tickets aren't free and I'm not related to anyone on the field. These are professional men who get paid very professional guaranteed salaries. There is accountability and competition. Kids and older women are the only people I know who really can't grasp that part of the equation.

JUp10 CY24

Reaction score
Ive heard a lot of White Sox fans talking about a trade centered around Paul Konerko for Byrnes. Possibly Konerko and a reliever for Byrnes... I still would prefer to keep him unless we get blown away by an offer

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Upton cant even play ground balls hit to the outfield cleanly, and you want him to move to the infield???

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive heard a lot of White Sox fans talking about a trade centered around Paul Konerko for Byrnes. Possibly Konerko and a reliever for Byrnes... I still would prefer to keep him unless we get blown away by an offer
No way. I am no longer a Sox fan if that happens. Unless it is Byrnes and a reliever and a prospect or three for Javier Vasquez and then maybe Pauly.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and that fake hustle crap of Byrnes would never play on the South Side. Nick Swisher is bad enough. The North Side maybe...:)

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Upton cant even play ground balls hit to the outfield cleanly, and you want him to move to the infield???
Yes, I believe he's the type of personality who would prosper using his previous infield experience, a much busier activity than standing in the outfield waiting for his next at-bat.

Conversely, Conor Jackson has demonstrated that he performs with more confidence when not playing in the infield.

And I believe that the same would be true for the confidence of Mark Reynolds, both in the field (where he led everyone in errors) and at bat (where he set a new record for strikeouts), while maximizing his RBI and clutch hitting performance of 2008.

Personalities do indeed factor in how they can best contribute.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Um, consider me blown away by that offer. Getting anything for Byrnes would be incredible, if we could get an everyday first baseman out of the deal Id be thrilled.

Yes, I believe he's the type of personality who would prosper using his previous infield experience, a much busier activity than standing in the outfield waiting for his next at-bat.

Conversely, Conor Jackson has demonstrated that he performs with more confidence when not playing in the infield.

And I believe that the same would be true for the confidence of Mark Reynolds, both in the field (where he led everyone in errors) and at bat (where he set a new record for strikeouts), while maximizing his RBI and clutch hitting performance of 2008.

Personalities do indeed factor in how they can best contribute.

Don't you think its a bit silly for you to be playing amateur psychologist though? Sure moving Jackson worked, but that doesn't mean shifting other guys around will work. You think Upton would be better served if involved in more plays, based on what? Have you talked with him about this? Spent excessive time with the team? He's been playing OF for a while now and the organization wants him out there so he can bulk up his body and hit for power, as well as avoid injuries, both sensible goals I think.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Um, consider me blown away by that offer. Getting anything for Byrnes would be incredible, if we could get an everyday first baseman out of the deal Id be thrilled.
I agree with that.

HooverDam said:
Don't you think its a bit silly for you to be playing amateur psychologist though? ... Have you talked with him about this? Spent excessive time with the team?
ASFN is an Op-Ed page, not news reporting. A place for ideas and opinions. Chill, HooverDam.

HooverDam said:
He's been playing OF for a while now and the organization wants him out there so he can bulk up his body and hit for power, as well as avoid injuries, both sensible goals I think.
And that's the other side of the coin. I see your point.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just read that the Mets have no interest in a Byrnes for Castillo swap.... that kinda sucks

NY never had an interest, this was just something the AZ Republic cooked up and had no basis of truth. We will be stuck with Byrnes until the end of the '10 season.

HooverDam

Reaction score
ASFN is an Op-Ed page, not news reporting. A place for ideas and opinions. Chill, HooverDam.

Chill? I'm not freakin' out, Im just saying I think any of us trying to read too much into the personalities of guys we've never met seems kinda silly.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Chill? I'm not freakin' out, Im just saying I think any of us trying to read too much into the personalities of guys we've never met seems kinda silly.
Conor Jackson was quoted as saying he was more comfortable playing in the outfield, and it showed immediately in his stats. The foundation for my thought does exist.

I raised the possibility (I said "I believe" . . . twice) of the same scenario with Mark Reynolds and one in reverse with Justin Upton.

But you repeated that suggesting that is silly.

Does that mean that you have thought about the specific points and disagree with them . . . or that you find any ideas beyond the status quo to be silly?

It's a good think that American independence in 1776 wasn't deterred by that kind of comment.

C'mon, HooverDam. There's a world of possibilities out there.

P.S.: Although my degree is in Marketing, I spent 30 years managing operations of up to 110 people, took post-grad courses in Industrial Psychology and have been a dedicated fan of Major League baseball since I was an eleven year old kid in 1952. I should hope I picked up some ideas along the way.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Im saying anyone who posts on a message board who thinks they have some insight to these guys emotions are where the best positions would be based on their internal mental makeup is kind of silly. Yes, it worked in CoJacks case, but it seems strange that you're offering to the solution to other players issues, especially when you and I don't know them. Thats not to say it wouldn't possibly work, just that trying to get inside of their minds seems odd to me.

Also, why do you keep typing my username? Doesn't that seem weird, BC867?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05