Did the Football Gods Descend on Foxboro?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Pretty much all of what transpired at Gillette Stadium last night before and during the NFL's kickoff game of the 2017 season was a nightmare for head coach Bill Belichick. Belichick is all about earning respect through sustained dedication and not through one iota of pomp or self-aggrandizing talk. In fact, recently Bill Belichick was invited back to his high school (Annapolis H.S.) to speak to the current football team and to laud the efforts of his old head coach who was one of the first coaches to welcome players of any color or background. Bill's talk to the team was classic Belichick --- he passionately spoke about how talk will get teams nowhere, and how respect is only earned through sustained effort and through having your teammates' backs. The players in the room were staring on with mouths agape.

Thus, just about everything that occurred in Foxboro last night, was repulsive to the principle engineer who has brought 5 Super Bowl trophies to New England. The self-congratulatory video of the historic Super Bowl win over the Falcons...Mark Wahlberg all miked up and shouting out superlatives to the rabid crowd, deeming Tom Brady the GOAT and calling Robert Kraft "my friend"...to Kraft, clad in his customary white collared blue button-down shirt and Patriot red tie, plus donning the sneakers he's currently peddling, hoisting the Lomabrdi trophy triumphantly to the delirious crowd beside four former Patriots who hoisted the 4 Lombardis of the past...the dazzling unveiling of the 5th banner amidst musket explosions and pyro-techie orgasms...

One might imagine that even the giant billboard outside of Gillette of Roger Goodell sporting a bright red clown nose, a la defensive coordinator Matt Patricia's t-shirt unveiling after the Super Bowl last year...in addition to the cascade of boos the fans thundered at the very mention of Goodell's name and his galling presence in their sacred arena...had a way of nettling Belichick...because to Belichick, all of that is now in the past and has absolutely no bearing on what's at stake this year. That's how this guy works.

All Belichick wanted to do was get the game started. One can assume Belichick wasn't exactly too thrilled either that his flurry of remarkable trades during the off-season created wide-spread speculation that the 2017 Patriots are even more talented than the 2016 Patriots, to the point where numerous pundits were predicting a 19-0 season and the Pats' 3rd Super Bowl win in 4 years. Like Denny Green said so infamously, "Let's crown their a---."

Boston area anchormen and women were ending their broadcasts imploring the viewers to check back for the post-game coverage "after the win." After all, Tom Brady had never lost on Thursday nights at Gillette and a win was as certain as New England clam chowder on the menu and a Dunkin' Donuts on every street corner.

Thus, the expectation, even from the NBC crew who unanimously predicted a big win from the Patriots, was a litany of post-game gushings about Belichick, Brady, Mike Gillieslee, Brandin Cooks, Rob Gronkowski, Dont'a Hightower and Devin McCourty...and yet...is this where the football gods stepped in said not so fast???....Who could have ever imagined that the post-game gushings would be all about Andy Reid, Alex Smith, rookie sensation Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Demetrius Harris, Justin Houston and Eric Berry!

But even the football gods would have to explain why they couldn't spare cancer survivor and free safety extraordinaire Eric Berry (who made the 1st quarter 4th and 1 tackle on Mike Gilleslee that very likely prevented the much anticipated blowout win for the Patriots), from suffering what appears to be a torn Achilles. Perhaps this win by the Chiefs, as stunning and brilliant as it played out, was a pyrrhic victory.

Maybe there really aren't football gods after all...

Regardless, as odd as this may sound, Bill Belichick is no stranger to using humiliation to motivate his football team and to appease the football gods...Belichick's first emphatic post game comment was "we need to coach better." Who knows? Maybe in practice this week, Belichick, Patricia and Josh McDaniels will don the spanking red clown noses...and fining any player who ever utters the phrase "Roger That" again, even if reiterated by the Dorian Gray GOAT of NFL stardom, Tom Brady.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was 1 game. People are going overboard in regards to how the Patriots and/or Tom Brady is done. That's the worst thing about playing the opening game on Thursday, the rest of the league and analysts will talk about that game ad nauseam until Sunday.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was 1 game. People are going overboard in regards to how the Patriots and/or Tom Brady is done. That's the worst thing about playing the opening game on Thursday, the rest of the league and analysts will talk about that game ad nauseam until Sunday.

Exactly.. good post

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Patriots pass rush sucked, and their best pass rusher is currently in AZ for the next 5 years, but "trading with Belichek is always a bad idea". Belichek is a genius because he never pays top dollar for anything. But, I guess having cap room is more important than a pass rush in football, and it sure helped the Patriots last night.

Last night the Patriots got beat, I am sure all the apologist will be out in droves today, which will amount to the same situation as it stands this morning, Patriots are 0-1 for the 2017 season. But do not worry, it is not an ego problem like the Cardinals have here, it is a "lesson in humility".

I am sure the Chiefs will take the win, and injuries are injuries, it sucks to see Eric Berry go down for the year, but the NFL season has started, and injuries are part of the game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
And this is Cardinals related how ?

Because the Patriots pass rush sucked, and their best pass rusher is currently in AZ for the next 5 years, but "trading with Belichek is always a bad idea"

But it is nice to see Belichek get a pass for getting his tail whipped on national TV, after all offseason hearing 16-0 coming from New England.

Guess it is only hubris and poor coaching when the Cardinals do it.

Personally, I could not care less about in depth Patriots analysis, and I really hope not to hear about the Patriots every week since I am here for the Cardinals.

Last night the Patriots got beat, I am sure all the apologist will be out in droves today.

Wow. I thought you might find this take amusing and hopefully worth the read. You know, it's becoming obvious that I am wearing myself too thin on this board. I think I need to take a break. It's been a long time coming.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I find my self looking at the Patriots front seven, especially with Dona Hightower out, and don't see anyone that scares an offense

It seems like the Pats have subbed out impact players--Jones, Collins, etc. - and replaced them with avg players. eventually those cumulative substitutions catch up with you

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me what the game proved, was that Andy Reid is probably the second best coach in the NFL. Nuf said.
Andy Reid is an enigma. His teams are usually contenders for a playoff spot and yet he's one of the worst game managers of all time. Watching him in Philly all those years would lead one to scratch one's head when a critical time in the game would come around. That said, I got a kick out of KC spanking the Pats especially considering the Chiefs were going up against the Pats and the officials. I mean, there was one pass play where Brady had a week to throw a pass which was incomplete but the Chiefs were flagged for defensive holding and when they showed the play, there was not even a modicum of defensive holding, however, they were showing the Pats superb pass protection. Yeah, an offensive lineman had a Chiefs lineman literally around his waist with both arms like they were doing the tango right in front of the officials and no flags were thrown.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wow. I thought you might find this take amusing and hopefully worth the read. You know, it's becoming obvious that I am wearing myself too thin on this board. I think I need to take a break. It's been a long time coming.

THIS AGAIN ?!?!?!

Mitch, you have every right to post whatever you want.

I have every right to state my opinion on it.

If you want to take time off then do it. Hopefully you enjoy your time and use your time watching things you enjoy.

But, your over dramatic passive aggression is not going to effect me, my day, or how I continue to interact with people on the board. I guess maybe you are right, I have grown tired with your "take your ball and go home" bull-pucky. And I won't sit here and be manipulated like that.

I have always made it a point to try and be respectful of replying to you because of crap like this, but I am done walking on the egg shells because it may "upset" you because as we can all see, it is a waste of time.

You come on a Arizona Cardinals message board, and talk about the Patriots in every other post, and expect no one to question you, or call you out on it ? Who is fooling who here ?

Enjoy your time off, and come back when you can deal with people questioning you, and you realize you are just another person on the internet.

And whether you stay, go, or come back, I won't care. #ignore

Last edited:

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
THIS AGAIN ?!?!?!

Mitch, you have every right to post whatever you want.

I have every right to state my opinion on it.

If you want to take time off then do it. Hopefully you enjoy your time and use your time watching things you enjoy.

But, your over dramatic passive aggression is not going to effect me, my day, or how I continue to interact with people on the board. I guess maybe you are right, I have grown tired with your "take your ball and go home" bull-pucky. And I won't sit here and be manipulated like that.

I have always made it a point to try and be respectful of replying to you because of crap like this, but I am done walking on the egg shells because it may "upset" you because as we can all see, it is a waste of time.

You come on a Arizona Cardinals message board, and talk about the Patriots in every other post, and expect no one to question you, or call you out on it ? Who is fooling who here ?

Enjoy your time off, and come back when you can deal with people questioning you, and you realize you are just another person on the internet.

And whether you stay, go, or come back, I won't care. #ignore
This board is not just for you. I and I expect many others appreciate Mitch's posts and will care if he does not come back. I certainly would not miss you after such an intemperate post.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Patriots pass rush sucked, and their best pass rusher is currently in AZ for the next 5 years, but "trading with Belichek is always a bad idea". Belichek is a genius because he never pays top dollar for anything. But, I guess having cap room is more important than a pass rush in football, and it sure helped the Patriots last night.

Last night the Patriots got beat, I am sure all the apologist will be out in droves today, which will amount to the same situation as it stands this morning, Patriots are 0-1 for the 2017 season. But do not worry, it is not an ego problem like the Cardinals have here, it is a "lesson in humility".

I am sure the Chiefs will take the win, and injuries are injuries, it sucks to see Eric Berry go down for the year, but the NFL season has started, and injuries are part of the game.

Calm down. If you didn't want to read about the patriots then why did you come into this thread and read what mitch wrote? Clearly the title says Foxboro. There are plenty of other threads about the Cardinals you could read.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calm down. If you didn't want to read about the patriots then why did you come into this thread and read what mitch wrote? Clearly the title says Foxboro. There are plenty of other threads about the Cardinals you could read.

Mitch needs to keep writing and not freak out so much if someone says something snarky.

This has gone on for many years.

#totallyout

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score

Please don't go anywhere. Your posts are the ones I search for first. I am glad you picked up on Mark Wahlberg stressing the "my friend" part regarding Robert Kraft (threw up in my mouth), and nice Dorian Gray reference on Brady. Damn that Kareem Hunt bounced back very well from that opening fumble, and good luck to anyone covering Tyreek Hill. Bummer about Eric Berry.

Looking forward to your Cardinals post game analysis. Keep up the great work.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch. You can come sit next to me on my island. Everyone has their way of jabbing someone with a rebuttal and then look around and say What?! I have learned you dont worry about the ones who bother you and you write for the ones that enjoy or at least respond fairly. We all love the Cards and yet it seems like the board is sometimes is like poating on a general forum on ESPN. Dont stop writing Mitch ...you got some good stuff.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch. You can come sit next to me on my island. Everyone has their way of jabbing someone with a rebuttal and then look around and say What?! I have learned you dont worry about the ones who bother you and you write for the ones that enjoy or at least respond fairly. We all love the Cards and yet it seems like the board is sometimes is like poating on a general forum on ESPN. Dont stop writing Mitch ...you got some good stuff.

You do realize his 'act ' is designed to illicit this response.

P.S. I enjoy both his work and the counterpoints.