Divisional Round Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
* Bizarre that the Colts' owner and CEO Jim Irsay, despite indicating to GM Ryan Grigson and HC Chuck Pagano that they will be back---spoke to Jon Gruden about becoming HC. Apparently, Gruden would only consider the job if Irsay fired Grigson and gave Gruden full power of the roster decisions. And Irsay balked. Now what?

* Pagano wouldn't be out of a job for long---BA would scoop him up in a nano-second, probably as AHC and the chief overseer of the defense. Interestingly, it was Pagano who hired James Bettcher as his personal assistant in 2011.

* Hot-lanta, wow. Not only are they playing at an elite level, they look like they could become a perennial juggernaut with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, the dynamic RB duo of Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman and with Dan Quinn building a young, fast, hard-hitting defense.

* Atlanta gave up a lot in the Julio Jones trade, but that's looking real good right now. Jones is a fast version of Fitz. Not quite hands-wise, but pretty close.

* The Seahawks' first drive was a work of art. But then so was the Falcons'. Two long, multi-play drives that consumed 17 minutes. Superb.

* The Cardinals returned the favor on the Seahawks this year by beating them at home late in the season and planting those added seeds of doubts heading into the playoffs. The Cards missing Honey Badger and the Seahawks missing Earl Thomas, their respective lightning rods. Both teams were crushed on the road in their second game.

* It should be a very interesting off-season in the NFC West with the Seahawks and Cardinals trying to reload, with key decisions about aging, but still valuable veterans, while the Rams and 49ers rebuilding under new coaching staffs.

* Classic Patriots' defense on display last night---bracketing the #1 WR in Hopkins and putting their #1 CB Butler on the Texans' #2 WR Fuller. The interception FS McCourty made on Hopkins was perfectly baited.

* What Dion Lewis is for the Pats (receiving TD, kickoff return TD, rushing TD) is what i envision Christian McCaffrey could do for the Cardinals. First we saw with the Falcons how dynamic their offense is with 2 versatile RBs in Freeman and Coleman, both of whom are hard runners and outstanding receivers. Their offense does not skip a beat because of how good both Freeman and Coleman are---and they can stay fresh for their respective shifts. One could easily make the case that Lewis was the MVP last night. He certainly was the game changer.

* The curious case of Brock Osweiller---people seem to forget that this was his first year as full-time starter---and in a new system there were bound to be growing pains. Now people are writing him off---but not only did he play well last week---he played very well in spots last night and threw two picture perfect passes dropping the ball in the bucket to Fedorowicz and Fuller, only both sure TD passes were dropped. I tell you what---if O'Brien gives up on him, I would like to how well he could do with the Cardinals. His mobility is appealing and with time and confidence, I think he could be a very good QB. Heck, Matt Ryan had some tough growing years. It takes time and patience and good coaching.

* Was happy to see Ray Lewis mock Tom Brady for his tantrum after getting hit a nan-second after throwing the ball away on a scramble. Brady is an exceptional QB, no question, but tantrums like the one he threw last night are why some people harbor such disdain for him.

* Michael Floyd's assimilation into the Pats' offense has been slow---while the pass Brady threw him on the slant was a tad too ahead of the route, Floyd didn't explode off his break as he should have---which is the Achilles heel of his game, his tentative play on short to intermediate passes over the middle.

* CB Logan Ryan made a lot of money for himself last night. He is one of the UFA CBs I've been hoping the Cardinals sign. Imagine this---Ryan as a CB was the leading tackler on the Patriots' defense, with 93 tackles. Now---let's remember how Belichick plays Ryan as the team's #2 CB. He assigns him to cover the #1 WR where he can play super aggressive versus pass and run because he knows he has FS help over the top, as the Pats' bracket the #1 WR. Could you imagine if the Cardinals did that and put Pat P. on the other team's #2? That would force teams to try to throw at Peterson in single coverage. Man, that would present teams with a dilemma, wouldn't it?

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excuse my language Mitch, but absolutely the hell not at giving Osweiler any time of the day.

He stays throwing at his teammates' foot.
He stay throwing batted balls, even when he is 6'8.
He has an extremely slow throwing motion.
He's not mobile.
He's inaccurate 95% of the time.
He's the worst QB OB has ever had & he has had a bunch of journeymen QB during his tenure. Hell, he might be the worst QB in the league & this is a league where Ryan Fitzpatrick & Matt Barkley got a good amount of playing time. That's saying something.
We can do way better than giving him a look.

At the end of the day, he shouldn't be starter in the league & I expect he won't be very soon.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Excuse my language Mitch, but absolutely the hell not at giving Osweiler any time of the day.

He stays throwing at his teammates' foot.
He stay throwing batted balls, even when he is 6'8.
He has an extremely slow throwing motion.
He's not mobile.
He's inaccurate 95% of the time.
He's the worst QB OB has ever had & he has had a bunch of journeymen QB during his tenure. Hell, he might be the worst QB in the league & this is a league where Ryan Fitzpatrick & Matt Barkley got a good amount of playing time. That's saying something.
We can do way better than giving him a look.

At the end of the day, he shouldn't be starter in the league & I expect he won't be very soon.

The slower than ideal throwing motion is an area he has to improve, that's for sure.

I don't think he's played enough for anyone to be certain of what his ceiling is. You could be right (although saying he's inaccurate 95% of the time is hyperbole---he threw 4 passes last night versus a Belichick defense that should have been TDs, two of them were dropped on perfect throws), but the Broncos wanted to re-sign him and the Texans' GM has been very high on him, obviously.

That said, I like Mike Glennon's upside better. Always have. I wonder if SK has his eye on Glennon.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of good thoughts. I remember thinking that when the Cards played the Vikings in that playoff game that A Williams should have been put on their #2 QB and the Cards bracket Moss but I guess the Vikings simply had too many weapons. Anyway I do like the idea of putting PP on the #2 and giving our #2 CB some help on their #1 WR.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bizarre that the Colts' owner and CEO Jim Irsay, despite indicating to GM Ryan Grigson and HC Chuck Pagano that they will be back---spoke to Jon Gruden about becoming HC. Apparently, Gruden would only consider the job if Irsay fired Grigson and gave Gruden full power of the roster decisions. And Irsay balked. Now what?

Peyton Manning even turned Irsay down. No surprise. I see Grigson as the one who needs to go.

* Hot-lanta, wow. Not only are they playing at an elite level, they look like they could become a perennial juggernaut with Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, the dynamic RB duo of Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman and with Dan Quinn building a young, fast, hard-hitting defense.

I suspect they will rule the NFC South for a few more years.

* Classic Patriots' defense on display last night---bracketing the #1 WR in Hopkins and putting their #1 CB Butler on the Texans' #2 WR Fuller. The interception FS McCourty made on Hopkins was perfectly baited.

Fuller cannot catch. Not a bust but Texans overdrafted for need with him.

* What Dion Lewis is for the Pats (receiving TD, kickoff return TD, rushing TD) is what i envision Christian McCaffrey could do for the Cardinals. First we saw with the Falcons how dynamic their offense is with 2 versatile RBs in Freeman and Coleman, both of whom are hard runners and outstanding receivers. Their offense does not skip a beat because of how good both Freeman and Coleman are---and they can stay fresh for their respective shifts. One could easily make the case that Lewis was the MVP last night. He certainly was the game changer.

Yes, yes and yes.

* The curious case of Brock Osweiller---people seem to forget that this was his first year as full-time starter---and in a new system there were bound to be growing pains. Now people are writing him off---but not only did he play well last week---he played very well in spots last night and threw two picture perfect passes dropping the ball in the bucket to Fedorowicz and Fuller, only both sure TD passes were dropped. I tell you what---if O'Brien gives up on him, I would like to how well he could do with the Cardinals. His mobility is appealing and with time and confidence, I think he could be a very good QB. Heck, Matt Ryan had some tough growing years. It takes time and patience and good coaching.

I don't believe O'Brien is the great offensive genius and QB guru he thinks he is.

* Michael Floyd's assimilation into the Pats' offense has been slow---while the pass Brady threw him on the slant was a tad too ahead of the route, Floyd didn't explode off his break as he should have---which is the Achilles heel of his game, his tentative play on short to intermediate passes over the middle.

Bad route by Floyd. Round and fearful.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hiring Pagano or Bowles to keep them in the game until they find a better position is just the way the coaching fraternity works.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why would BA hire pagano? Because they worked together in the past....so he is going to hire Bowles back....and every other coach he has worked with?

Tuis post was sent from mu smartphine so please excuwe any typos or gramatical errors
Some people are better coordinators than head coaches. Take Wade Phillips. Horrible head coach but I'd take him as my DC in a heartbeat. Same with Whiz. Don't like him as a HC but as a OC he's very good.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Some people are better coordinators than head coaches. Take Wade Phillips. Horrible head coach but I'd take him as my DC in a heartbeat. Same with Whiz. Don't like him as a HC but as a OC he's very good.
Yeah but our coaching staff is already filled out.

Tuis post was sent from mu smartphine so please excuwe any typos or gramatical errors

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Bizarre that the Colts' owner and CEO Jim Irsay, despite indicating to GM Ryan Grigson and HC Chuck Pagano that they will be back---spoke to Jon Gruden about becoming HC. Apparently, Gruden would only consider the job if Irsay fired Grigson and gave Gruden full power of the roster decisions. And Irsay balked. Now what?

Peyton Manning even turned Irsay down. No surprise. I see Grigson as the one who needs to go.

I suspect they will rule the NFC South for a few more years.

Fuller cannot catch. Not a bust but Texans overdrafted for need with him.

Yes, yes and yes.

I don't believe O'Brien is the great offensive genius and QB guru he thinks he is.

Bad route by Floyd. Round and fearful.

I don't think Obrien is a good HC, at all. That team has a bunch of talent, across the board and I think their record has been achieved in spite of their HC, not because of him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Obrien is a good HC, at all. That team has a bunch of talent, across the board and I think their record has been achieved in spite of their HC, not because of him.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Maybe some day these owners and GMs will figure out it is not Bill Belichek's staff it his Bill. O'Brien ex Patriot OC.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pagano wouldn't be out of a job for long---BA would scoop him up in a nano-second, probably as AHC and the chief overseer of the defense.

Why the hell would the Cardinals want him??

The Cardinals returned the favor on the Seahawks this year by beating them at home late in the season and planting those added seeds of doubts heading into the playoffs.

Gimme a break... do you seriously believe that the Seahawks were affected by their loss to the Cardinals three weeks ago, while they were preparing for their game against the Falcons?! You have a vivid imagination.

The curious case of Brock Osweiller [...] if O'Brien gives up on him, I would like to how well he could do with the Cardinals. His mobility is appealing and with time and confidence, I think he could be a very good QB.

You have got to be freaking kidding. Osweiler BLOWS!!!

Mitch, i enjoy a lot of your posts, but sometimes it seems as though you just make crazy stuff up just to get attention. Pagano & Osweiler to the Cardinals, and Seahawks having "seeds of doubt" because they lot to the Cardinals... This is all nonsense.

...dbs

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Why the hell would the Cardinals want him??

Gimme a break... do you seriously believe that the Seahawks were affected by their loss to the Cardinals three weeks ago, while they were preparing for their game against the Falcons?! You have a vivid imagination.

You have got to be freaking kidding. Osweiler BLOWS!!!

Mitch, i enjoy a lot of your posts, but sometimes it seems as though you just make crazy stuff up just to get attention. Pagano & Osweiler to the Cardinals, and Seahawks having "seeds of doubt" because they lot to the Cardinals... This is all nonsense.

...dbs

Yeah, Dave, you're right. I just make things up to get this kind of a visceral response from posters. I guess you took the bait, right?

Seriously---BA has a bromance with Chuck Pagano to whom BA feels especially loyal for having reached out to him after the Steelers fired him. Is it that far of reach to assume that if and when Pagano gets fired, that BA will reach out to him? And as for why the Cardinals would want him---how were the Cardinals' half-time adjustments on defense this year? In more than half of the games the opponents marched right down the field and scored on the Cardinals' defense to open the 2nd half. Pagano could help stop that disturbing trend, for one. Bettcher could use a mentor, imo. Pagano hired Bettcher---I think they would get along just fine.

Were the Cardinals' affected by the Seahawks' beating of them in Week 17 last year? I don't think there is any question that the pounding and humiliation the Cardinals suffered in that game, started to burst their bubble, as the trouncing was duplicated in the loss at Carolina. I feel like the Cardinals payed the Seahawks back this year---the Seahawks got trounced themselves in Atlanta.

As for Osweiler, you think he blows. I don't. I don't think he fits Bill O'Brien's offense, but a coach like BA or Andy Reid could bring out the best in Osweiler. Obviously, both the Broncos and the Texans' front offices held a very high opinion of him, despite his lack of starting experience---which was part of my point. Osweiler is still getting his feet wet---it takes time and the right system.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
* Sunday's games stressed once again the critical importance of special teams, particularly the kicking game. Mason Crosby was sensational---without his leg the Packers likely lose that game. If 2nd year PK Chris Boswell missed just one of his 6 FG attempts in the frigid night air of KC, the Steelers likely lose their game.

* The legend of Aaron Rodgers rolls on. 35 seconds and one time out. He gets it done. Unreal.

* TE Jared Cook---what a difference a good QB makes.

* Dak Prescott---man, what a great game. How about the toughness he showed breaking a head-on tackle at the goal line. What poise and precision down the stretch. Zeke Elliot is the best RB in the game---he's the toughest, not just in rushing, but in pass protection. That draft class of the Cowboys'---particularly if LB Jaylon Smith returns to form, could well be be best draft of the century. DT Maliek Collins and CB Anthony Brown look like very good choices as well.

* It's amazing how the Packers with their decimated secondary still managed to win that game. But they did. The Packers' fast start offensively allowed it to stay a close game and with Rodgers at QB, close games can turn into stunning Ws.

* The constant holding and jersey grabbing by DBs is incredibly annoying---pretty much because the officials don't want to throw flags on every play.

* The Cowboys' FS Jeff Heath (6-1, 212, 4, Saginaw Valley St.) had one heckuva performance---showing great speed and anticipation on his interception of Rodgers and helping to break up other deep passes. Then his sack of Rodgers was huge---and absolutely amazing that Rodgers managed to hold on to the ball as he never saw Heath coming. Heath is a UFA and he is exactly the kind of FS the Cardinals need. Plus, he is an ace STs player. He is a UFA and I hope the Cardinals make a run for him. Signing Heath and either TJ or DJS would be huge.

* The STs player on the Steelers who stood out to me was ILB Vince Williams (6-1, 233, 4, Florida St.), who got to the 12 yard line in a hurry to stonewall the ever-explosive KR Tyriek Hill. Williams is a UFA and there are many Steelers' fans who think he's a very good starter at ILB waiting to happen.

* The Chiefs' "bend but don't break" defense raises the question of defensive philosophy---with all of the talent they have on defense, wouldn't it be better to try to create a monsoon of pressure and havoc, rather than to just try to keep everything in front of them? It would make even more sense for them to be super aggressive seeing as the Chiefs' offense doesn't score a lot of points.

* Was that Alex Smith's last game at QB for the Chiefs? Will Andy Reid turn the reins over to Nick Foles? Or would he make a run at Mike Glennon? It feels like Reid will make a change.

* Oh the irony of Mike Tomlin telling his team to keep a low profile on social media and WR Antonio Brown immediately goes and tweets Tomlin's speech? Just when Tomlin seems to deserve to be vindicated by Terry Bradshaw's scathing critique---basically stating that all Tomlin is is a cheerleader. Man, all these ex-pros like Joe Namath and Eric Dickerson ripping on current coaches---a sure sign of the times, isn't it?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
* Sunday's games stressed once again the critical importance of special teams, particularly the kicking game. Mason Crosby was sensational---without his leg the Packers likely lose that game. If 2nd year PK Chris Boswell missed just one of his 6 FG attempts in the frigid night air of KC, the Steelers likely lose their game.

Most boring game of the playoffs and why can't Haley get his team to finish?

* The legend of Aaron Rodgers rolls on. 35 seconds and one time out. He gets it done. Unreal.

Stone cold assassin.

* TE Jared Cook---what a difference a good QB makes.

Too many Cook drops earlier that required that play to be made. I can't imagine the train wreck that would happen if Rodgers went down and Hundley was called on.

* It's amazing how the Packers with their decimated secondary still managed to win that game. But they did. The Packers' fast start offensively allowed it to stay a close game and with Rodgers at QB, close games can turn into stunning Ws.

Ladarius Gunter is horrid. He was horrid at U of Miami. Sam Shields is sorely missed.

* The constant holding and jersey grabbing by DBs is incredibly annoying---pretty much because the officials don't want to throw flags on every play.

Agreed and the NFL dictates this. Most rare play is when a DB turns and finds the ball and goes for a pick. This BS "faceguarding" style blows chunks. How does the season intercept leader end up with about 6.

* The Cowboys' FS Jeff Heath (6-1, 212, 4, Saginaw Valley St.) had one heckuva performance---showing great speed and anticipation on his interception of Rodgers and helping to break up other deep passes. Then his sack of Rodgers was huge---and absolutely amazing that Rodgers managed to hold on to the ball as he never saw Heath coming. Heath is a UFA and he is exactly the kind of FS the Cardinals need. Plus, he is an ace STs player. He is a UFA and I hope the Cardinals make a run for him. Signing Heath and either TJ or DJS would be huge.

Reminds me of old school safety who uses his head for something other than a battering ram to dislodge balls.

* The Chiefs' "bend but don't break" defense raises the question of defensive philosophy---with all of the talent they have on defense, wouldn't it be better to try to create a monsoon of pressure and havoc, rather than to just try to keep everything in front of them? It would make even more sense for them to be super aggressive seeing as the Chiefs' offense doesn't score a lot of points.

Andy Reid is a horrible game planner. That roster is loaded.

* Was that Alex Smith's last game at QB for the Chiefs? Will Andy Reid turn the reins over to Nick Foles? Or would he make a run at Mike Glennon? It feels like Reid will make a change.

I don't see Alex as the problem.

* Oh the irony of Mike Tomlin telling his team to keep a low profile on social media and WR Antonio Brown immediately goes and tweets Tomlin's speech? Just when Tomlin seems to deserve to be vindicated by Terry Bradshaw's scathing critique---basically stating that all Tomlin is is a cheerleader. Man, all these ex-pros like Joe Namath and Eric Dickerson ripping on current coaches---a sure sign of the times, isn't it?

Hilarious sequence of events. I started a thread on this. " The Cheerleader" moniker is so spot on. No wonder Fisher tried to ban Dickerson.

P S : My prediction ....... Romo to the Broncos

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just very happy Seattle and Dallas are no longer in the tournament.

Your observation that Floyd was slow out of his break suggests, as you said, that either (1) Michael isn't explosive out of his breaks or (2) he's not sure of his routes and has to think too much before he makes his cuts.

Although 2+2 figures to = 4 with regard to BA hiring Pagano, trying to be mind-readers and predict what BA is thinking is kind of an iffy proposition.

One thought regarding Cuck Pagano and other so-called oldsters - Maybe the time is right for the Cards to restructure its front office to create some sort of "Senior Board of Counselors" consisting of Pagano, Moore, the pass rush maven and others. A key responsibility of the board would be to conduct an ongoing "how are we doing?" review of various aspects of the game that would give the Cards the opportunity to step back from the intensity of weekly game prep to review snapshots of our strengths & weaknesses...and how to fix them. (Ideally, the problems with our ST coaching and performance would be pretty early and high on their radar).