Do The Cavs Have A Chance Against The Spurs?

mr_sunshine

Veteran
Reaction score
Who on the Cavaliers can guard Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker?
Lebron James will get his points but this series will be over in 4 games.

Pavlovic, LBJ, Hughes, Gibson, and Snow. Some combination of those two will be able to shut them down.

spurs81

Reaction score
Pavlovic, LBJ, Hughes, Gibson, and Snow. Some combination of those two will be able to shut them down.

Man, the Spurs hate is strong around here.

Snow is out b/c the moment he hits the floor it will make it that much easier for the Spurs to double LBJ. Like Charles and Kenny said last night in the post game, the Spurs aren't going to sleep througha game or even a quarter like the Pistons just did.

Gibson isn't fast enough to stay with TP (I say this as a Gibson fan that watched him closely while he was in Austin) and he isn't strong enough to stay with Manu (Richard Hamilton just abused Gibson for 6 games).

Although its an intriguing possibility I doubt the Cavs put LBJ on TP b/c that will force Gibson to cover Manu or be the double man on TD (coming off of Bruce Bowen). If Brown is stupid enough to put LBJ on Paker then Pop could really punish the Cavs in stretches by playing Mike Finely and Manu together forcing Gibson to matchup with either of those two.

Pavolich is too slow to cover either.

Hughes will probably be an effective cover but he would be ideal to double off of.

Anyhow, would you care to define "shut down". I'm interested to find out what you expect the Cavs to be able to do to Manu and TP.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the spurs hate is strong because the spurs are a fraud...go away

spurs81

Reaction score
To paraphrase the great Mr. Bill Russell, Suns fans need to seek out a therapist...

mr_sunshine

Veteran
Reaction score
Man, the Spurs hate is strong around here.

Snow is out b/c the moment he hits the floor it will make it that much easier for the Spurs to double LBJ. Like Charles and Kenny said last night in the post game, the Spurs aren't going to sleep througha game or even a quarter like the Pistons just did.

Gibson isn't fast enough to stay with TP (I say this as a Gibson fan that watched him closely while he was in Austin) and he isn't strong enough to stay with Manu (Richard Hamilton just abused Gibson for 6 games).

Although its an intriguing possibility I doubt the Cavs put LBJ on TP b/c that will force Gibson to cover Manu or be the double man on TD (coming off of Bruce Bowen). If Brown is stupid enough to put LBJ on Paker then Pop could really punish the Cavs in stretches by playing Mike Finely and Manu together forcing Gibson to matchup with either of those two.

Pavolich is too slow to cover either.

Hughes will probably be an effective cover but he would be ideal to double off of.

Anyhow, would you care to define "shut down". I'm interested to find out what you expect the Cavs to be able to do to Manu and TP.

Look at what Manu did against the Cavs this year. He averaged an astonishing 10 PPG. Wow wow wow! Amazing. Admittedly Parker did do well against them, but he gets his no matter. Saying they would shut him down was an over exaggeration. I really think they can get away with putting LBJ on him, and this may change things though. Why wouldn't they be able to? This puts Pavlovic on Manu or Finley (whichever is on the floor) and Gibson/Hughes on Bowen. Those matchups are easy enough.

Also, I doubt they double TD. Z and/or Varejao should be able to single cover him. He'll get his, but I don't think they will be leaving anyone wide open looks.

Edit: Also, how can you say Gibson isn't strong enough to stay with Manu? Did he not shut down Billups, who is stronger than Manu, for the entire series?

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To paraphrase the great Mr. Bill Russell, Suns fans need to seek out a therapist...

but seriously, why are you here?

Seems strange to me, are you posting about the finals on the milwaukee bucks message board? how about the Knicks?

I know if the suns were in the finals (which they should be), I wouldn't be hanging around the Spers message boards.

spurs81

Reaction score
Look at what Manu did against the Cavs this year. He averaged an astonishing 10 PPG. Wow wow wow! Amazing. Admittedly Parker did do well against them, but he gets his no matter. Saying they would shut him down was an over exaggeration. I really think they can get away with putting LBJ on him, and this may change things though. Why wouldn't they be able to? This puts Pavlovic on Manu or Finley (whichever is on the floor) and Gibson/Hughes on Bowen. Those matchups are easy enough. ?

Manu had a horrible regular season. Its not like he was particularily impressive scoring 7, 32, & then 12 against the Suns this year in the regular season and then he exploded on the Suns in the playoffs.

Also, I doubt they double TD. Z and/or Varejao should be able to single cover him. He'll get his, but I don't think they will be leaving anyone wide open looks.

You're serious aren't you? If Brown wasn't willing to match Z up on Rasheed Wallace he certainly won't try to play him on Duncan. If the Cavs refuse to double on Duncan, TD will likely have a series like he had last year against the Mavs. Hell, if the Jazz weren't willing to single cover TD with either Okur or Boozer I find it hard to believe the Cavs will with Z or the hairdo. (Props to KT btw, very nice series for him this year)

Edit: Also, how can you say Gibson isn't strong enough to stay with Manu? Did he not shut down Billups, who is stronger than Manu, for the entire series?

He wasn't guarding Billups as much as he was covering Hamilton (who is a much closer comparison to Manu) and Hamilton absolutely torched Gibson.

spurs81

Reaction score
but seriously, why are you here?

Seems strange to me, are you posting about the finals on the milwaukee bucks message board? how about the Knicks?

I know if the suns were in the finals (which they should be), I wouldn't be hanging around the Spers message boards.

I'm here b/c I enjoy basketball conversation. Its not like this is a Suns topic on a Suns message board, is it?

For some reason I've got this crazy idea that a diversity of opinions is far superior to and of greater value than a homogenous set of opionins.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I'm here b/c I enjoy basketball conversation. Its not like this is a Suns topic on a Suns message board, is it?

For some reason I've got this crazy idea that a diversity of opinions is far superior to and of greater value than a homogenous set of opionins.

And it is. As long as people from other teams don't come here and start making posts simply to provoke suns fans, then I love when they come.

You have been adding meaningful points to the conversation, and that should be embraced - not pushed away simply because of where your loyalties lie.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

thats all fine and dandy, but i think people around here have a slight chip on their shoulder about the spurs beating the suns and in such a controversial fashion. keep making good points and adding to convos and eventually people will begin to accept you as a member of the board :)

CaptainInsano

Reaction score

Since you're a spurs fan, and so far 99.9% of spurs fans have made complete asses of themselves on here and various other places, you have a large mountain to climb before we even start to think about respecting you and your opinion. The fans of your team have made it this way. Understand now?

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
gibson is a great defender on driving players like parker, and is pretty strong/quick too. i think he matches up ok to parker. snow is an excellent defender who can guard either one of them. Lebron is a great defender and can handle one of them. larry hughes is a big PG and is very long/quick so he may be able to give parker some problems

Tony Parker and Manu are faster players and better at getting to the basket than Chauncey Billups/Richard Hamilton combo.

Gibson and Pavlovic have the best shot at slowing down the Spurs backcourt. Lebron would get into foul trouble trying to guard Manu and his antics. Larry Hughes has foot injury, which will limit his ability to defend Tony Parker. Snow may not have the foot speed to defend Parker and Ginobili.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Since you're a spurs fan, and so far 99.9% of spurs fans have made complete asses of themselves on here and various other places, you have a large mountain to climb before we even start to think about respecting you and your opinion. The fans of your team have made it this way. Understand now?

That makes zero sense.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
That makes zero sense.

I am sorry you don't get it. I respect fans of other teams until I see so many of them act like imbeciles, say for instance a rockets fan came on here. I would respect his opinion, but it is not the same way with spurs fans anymore.

You could say I am lumping all spurs fans into a category, and I definately am, but if it works out to my advantage 99.9% of the time then I will definately do it.

You guys can play the "were the classy guys classy classy classy" card all you want, but all I ask is that at least the slight majority of another teams fans such as say 55% them to at least make some type of attempt at being mature and civil. If not it is stereotyping time for me!

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It is hard to determine anything based on regular season.

IMHO, the key to the series will be in the Cavs can get Duncan into foul trouble. This is not out of the question, since LeBron can get through any defense to get to the basket or force virtual triple teaming. But making Duncan stop LeBron is very dangerous for the Spurs.

So far, no one has really tried to create an isolation to force Duncan to defend a really athletic big man. Most players make the mistake of trying avoid contact, which all but invites Duncan to block shots. LeBron has shown an ability to get to the defender's body at an angle (avoiding a charging call) which prevents the defender from jumping and leads to fouls being called in the "and one" situations.

At times it seems like Duncan is immune from foul calls, but at the same time, teams don't really attack him like they do Amare. But when Duncan gets into foul trouble, the Spurs collapse like a house of cards with limited offense and vastly weaker defense.

IMHO, the Cavs only chance is if they can get Duncan into foul trouble. Otherwise, they don't match up well.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I am sorry you don't get it.

Oh I get it, but it still doesn't make any sense. Every team has senseless imbicile fans, including the Suns. Hell there are some of them that post on here.

When you actually get someone that contributes to a conversation, why would make it harder for them to be accepted? Instead of coming with some stupid remarks, he came in with thoughtful comments. That should be all "the mountain" he has to climb.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Oh I get it, but it still doesn't make any sense. Every team has senseless imbicile fans, including the Suns. Hell there are some of them that post on here.

When you actually get someone that contributes to a conversation, why would make it harder for them to be accepted? Instead of coming with some stupid remarks, he came in with thoughtful comments. That should be all "the mountain" he has to climb.

There have been times a fan might come in and put on an act or be civil for the first post or two before switching behavior.

For a spurs poster after the antics of fellow spurs posters lately there is now a credibility test they have to pass before I (and I am sure other posters) take them seriously.

If you don't agree with what I think then you can just disagree with it, you don't have to come on here and say that it doesn't make sense when it obviously does, that is insulting.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
It is hard to determine anything based on regular season.

IMHO, the key to the series will be in the Cavs can get Duncan into foul trouble. This is not out of the question, since LeBron can get through any defense to get to the basket or force virtual triple teaming. But making Duncan stop LeBron is very dangerous for the Spurs.

So far, no one has really tried to create an isolation to force Duncan to defend a really athletic big man. Most players make the mistake of trying avoid contact, which all but invites Duncan to block shots. LeBron has shown an ability to get to the defender's body at an angle (avoiding a charging call) which prevents the defender from jumping and leads to fouls being called in the "and one" situations.

At times it seems like Duncan is immune from foul calls, but at the same time, teams don't really attack him like they do Amare. But when Duncan gets into foul trouble, the Spurs collapse like a house of cards with limited offense and vastly weaker defense.

IMHO, the Cavs only chance is if they can get Duncan into foul trouble. Otherwise, they don't match up well.

That is exactly it! This is better, more in depth and detailed way of saying what I did about the ref's having the ability to sway this series.

I just wonder how it is going to go though. The cavs bigs like Big Z and Verajao were prone to pickup fouls in certain games during the season, and duncan can sometimes get away with murder and I am sure we have all seen Mark Cuban show the arm flail exploit duncan does to automatically pick up fouls, I saw 2 of those during the suns series so he still pulls that garbage.

If the series was officiated fairly (including the ref stopping bowen from mauling lebron and giving Duncan fouls as well as the cleveland bigs) I actually think the cavs young talent could win the series in 5 games (with the way the finals go) and that is just crazy.

mr_sunshine

Veteran
Reaction score
That is exactly it! This is better, more in depth and detailed way of saying what I did about the ref's having the ability to sway this series.

I just wonder how it is going to go though. The cavs bigs like Big Z and Verajao were prone to pickup fouls in certain games during the season, and duncan can sometimes get away with murder and I am sure we have all seen Mark Cuban show the arm flail exploit duncan does to automatically pick up fouls, I saw 2 of those during the suns series so he still pulls that garbage.

If the series was officiated fairly (including the ref stopping bowen from mauling lebron and giving Duncan fouls as well as the cleveland bigs) I actually think the cavs young talent could win the series in 5 games (with the way the finals go) and that is just crazy.

Agreed. Duncan gets away with a lot of BS. All stars do though, and I hate the damn star treatment. Fire all the damn refs and bring in non-biased international refs or something IMO. It just sucks to see a game and/or series riding strictly on the judgment of refs, and that's what it is with TD. If he gets in foul trouble the Spurs are boned. But honestly how many times has this happened? Look at the comeback the Suns made against the Spurs when TD was in foul trouble, and look at Utah's 26 point blow out win when he picked up 3 fouls in the first half

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Until the league bosses realize that most casual fans want the beautiful version of hoops instead of the hackeyball that the Spurs employ - welcome to low ratings - hahaha.

Toothbrush

Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't going to watch anymore of the playoffs. Not because of what happened with the SA series, but just because I don't care about any of the teams that are left. I think I'm going to change my mind though, and root hard for the cavs.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I wasn't going to watch anymore of the playoffs. Not because of what happened with the SA series, but just because I don't care about any of the teams that are left. I think I'm going to change my mind though, and root hard for the cavs.

Same here even if lets say there is a 5% chance the cavs win it, it is worth it to watch just for the chance at seeing lebron and his young team going all the way. It is great to have another team to root for to down the spurs, I never thought the pistons wouldn't beat the cavs.