Do we have as much talent as we think?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you compare us to other teams, there is plenty of pure talent to be winning. Talent is nothing without the brains to go along with it. The Cards just aren't very mentally tough. That's why there is always dumb penalties and blown assignments. Look at Rackers. Physically,he's one of the most talented in the game but in pressure situations he tightens up. Go out and watch Vinatieri and Rackers kick. I'll bet Rackers has alot more natural talent but Vinatieri will be going to the HOF because he's mentally strong.The problem is you get that winning attitude, alot of times, just by winning. The Cards are mentally weak so by losing it just makes matters worse. It showed,big time,Sunday. When Rackers missed that first FG the team was done.

That's a point Green made at the presser. The offense has to make people pay after turnovers, and the defense has to get to the point where after WE make a big mistake, they don't just fold.

Look at the Raider game, we get a turnover, and miss a FG. They get a turnover and step on our throats with a pass to Moss on the first play and the defense gives up the TD.

We do that pretty consistently and it really is mental toughness to a large extent.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I dont know if the Cards have playoff talent, but they sure have a lot more than 1-6 talent

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Experience? Darling and griffith are the only players with over 10 years experience in the NFL (Warner is tricky because he started late). By comparison the rest of our division looks like this

Seattle - 5 players
San Francisco - 6 players
Rams - 13 players

It takes 3-5 years to decide what type of a player you have on your hands.

I don't agree with that at all.

James 8th season, Femi 8, Warner 9, Ross 8, Lewiensky 8, Okeafor 8, Clancy 7, Berry 9, Griffith 13, Macklin 7, Davis,Huff, and Wilson 6. There's a bunch of inexperienced youngsters for you.

Boldin, BJohnson, Hayes and Wells are all 4th year guys.

I don't think McGinnis ever had as many veterans on the roster as Green does.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with regard to the lack of mental toughness (and inclination to give up bad plays after turnovers).

With the exception, perhaps, of the playoff clincher and the playoff win over Dallas, there hasn't been an occasion in recent memory that the Cardinals have risen to.

We tend to always crumble at crunch time.