Do you think Nash still has a chance to win the MVP Award?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm thinking his chances are slim to none.

I think Dirk will win it. They have just been too dominate. Many people would argue that his supporting cast is worse than ours too.

Out of the other four starters between the Suns and Dallas who would you like to trade? Josh Howard is good, but would you trade him for Amare?

So really if Dallas wanted to trade their second best place player down the line would we make one trade? Yet they are for now, better than us.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Dallas would have to go on a several-game slide with Nowitzki in the lineup. Otherwise it's over.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The more I look at their roster the more I'm surprised they are (probably) better than us.

look at their starting five

Josh Howard
Dirk Nowitski
Erik Dampier
Greg Buckner
Jason Terry

and even their sixth and seventh
Devin Harris
Jerry Stackhouse

Now lets look at how we would like to rank our best players against theirs

1. Nash vs Nowitski we would like to think Nash makes a bigger impact
2. Amare vs Josh Howard. Over all Amare is more dominant right?
3. Jason Terry vs Shawn Marion. Shawn Marion is better overall right?
4. Eric Dampier vs Diaw...
5. Greg Buckner vs Bell

6. Davin Harris vs Barbosa
7 Jerry Stackhouse vs Kurt Thomas

or you can go by position.

Terry vs Nash. Nash better
Amare vs Nowitski. Nowitski better, but suprisingly might not be better in playoffs.
Josh Howard vs Marion: Would on many teams take Marion but is debatable
Eric Dampier vs Kurt, possibly debateable, Diaw too?
Buckner Vs Bell: Would take Bell

Harris vs Barbosa would take Barbosa
Stackhouse vs Diaw.. take Diaw...

mribnik

Reaction score
The MVP award is interesting because they change the definition of it every year. This year, with Dallas playing so well, the definition goes back to the "best player on the best team award" as opposed to the "most valuable player on a contending team award." Neither is better than the other IMO, but it's just inconsistent so everybody gets upset each year.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nash does the most for his team, but with the lead Dallas has record-wise (due to Nash's injury) it'll probably go to Dirk.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...but with the lead Dallas has record-wise (due to Nash's injury) it'll probably go to Dirk.
That's ironic.

The Suns become mediocre with Nash sidelined and that makes Dirk the MVP?

The most VALUABLE player?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Tracy McGrady should be the league mvp.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The more I look at their roster the more I'm surprised they are (probably) better than us.

look at their starting five

Josh Howard
Dirk Nowitski
Erik Dampier
Greg Buckner
Jason Terry

and even their sixth and seventh
Devin Harris
Jerry Stackhouse

Now lets look at how we would like to rank our best players against theirs

1. Nash vs Nowitski we would like to think Nash makes a bigger impact
2. Amare vs Josh Howard. Over all Amare is more dominant right?
3. Jason Terry vs Shawn Marion. Shawn Marion is better overall right?
4. Eric Dampier vs Diaw...
5. Greg Buckner vs Bell

6. Davin Harris vs Barbosa
7 Jerry Stackhouse vs Kurt Thomas

or you can go by position.

Terry vs Nash. Nash better
Amare vs Nowitski. Nowitski better, but suprisingly might not be better in playoffs.
Josh Howard vs Marion: Would on many teams take Marion but is debatable
Eric Dampier vs Kurt, possibly debateable, Diaw too?
Buckner Vs Bell: Would take Bell

Harris vs Barbosa would take Barbosa
Stackhouse vs Diaw.. take Diaw...
Nowitzki and nash both deserve the award. The reason nowitzki is a candidate is because he continues to get better each year. His assist totals have gone up......especially in this current win streak. When a 7 footer is dropping 31-10-8 something is not right. The mavs have won 50 out of 55 games......something only the MJ led bulls have done. Nowitzki is clearly a special player(as he showed last year dropping 50 on the suns in the playoffs).....but this mavs team is a special team. I'll take any of these mavericks any day.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's ironic.

I agree, Nash's injury shows just how important he is to the Suns team. The problem is that it's also made the Mavs the clear cut best record in the NBA. It would be much harder for people to give the MVP to Dirk if the Suns were only 1/2 - 1 & 1/2 games behind them, but now their 4 1/2. I still think Nash should be the MVP because the Suns teams is probably a .500 - .600 team and Amare & Marion would struggle to be all-stars without Nash.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree, Nash's injury shows just how important he is to the Suns team. The problem is that it's also made the Mavs the clear cut best record in the NBA. It would be much harder for people to give the MVP to Dirk if the Suns were only 1/2 - 1 & 1/2 games behind them, but now their 4 1/2. I still think Nash should be the MVP because the Suns teams is probably a .500 - .600 team and Amare & Marion would struggle to be all-stars without Nash.
what would the mavs be without dirk. Would they be the 6th seed at best? Where would the offense be. Without dirk the mavs would probably avg 90 pts a game.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
That's ironic.

Can't really knock Nowitski for not ever being injured though. How is that fair? Can you honestly say the Mavs would win more games than lose with Dirk out of the line-up?

mribnik

Reaction score
If the Suns win the final 2 games against Dallas, and gain on their lead (5 games?) by the end of the season, Nash probably wins it. Otherwise, Dirk will get it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirk will probably get it because of the Mavs record. I don't think Dirk should get it because he doesn't make his other teammates better. Nash is the MVP but he has two things working against him.

There are some writers that don't want Nash to get a 3rd. Plus Dallas looks like the better team right now. So usually the MVP goes to the team with the best record.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
So usually the MVP goes to the team with the best record.

I don't think that is really true. The MVP usually goes to a player on one of the 3 best records, but only 2 of the last 6 MVPs have come from teams with the best record (Nash and Duncan)

But Dirk will most likely get it because the Mavs are very close to getting 70, and he has been playing out of his mind. The fact Nash already has 2 MVPs is definitely going to work against him as well (whether or not it should)

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
Dirk will probably get it because of the Mavs record. I don't think Dirk should get it because he doesn't make his other teammates better. Nash is the MVP but he has two things working against him.

There are some writers that don't want Nash to get a 3rd. Plus Dallas looks like the better team right now. So usually the MVP goes to the team with the best record.

I don't know if your joking, but I hope so. Dirk doesn't make his teamates better... why? Because he doesn't have the assist numbers of a point guard? Is that it? You know what Nash's job is? To make plays, to get his team open shots he's a point guard. So yes, he does his job well but he doesn't do a hell of a lot else that impresses me.

Dirk on the other hand does his job as a power forward as well as additional tasks. You might have noticed if you have watched any recent Dallas games his assist numbers (7 against the Magic most recently) do you know why he's getting those numbers? He's trying make his team better, he's trying to help them win without him carrying the load every night and as you can see with the record it was a smart move. I honestly believe Howards emergence of an All-Star is because of Dirk allowing Howard to dominate the ball early in games (especially at the start of the season). He's also a much better defender than Nash, hasn't missed significant time, and his team has by far the best record in the league. If he doesn't get it then it just exposes the MVP race as a sham.

Honestly, as i've said I think the reason Nash looks like such a good point guard is the lack of true point guards in the league, we seem to be in a drought of shoot first types. There have been countless other pg's that have done exactly what Nash does but better (hey Stockton even played defense, all time leader in steals!) so his value might be increased only because of circumstances, not his fault but these 'analysts' probably dont take this MVP into historical consideration.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Dirk definitely makes his players better. As I mentioned I would take our four other players against their four any day. The X factor must be Dirk or we over value our own players and Amare and Marion aren't really allstar caliber players.

Drop D

Striving for the Penultimate
Reaction score
There have been countless other pg's that have done exactly what Nash does but better (hey Stockton even played defense, all time leader in steals!) so his value might be increased only because of circumstances, not his fault but these 'analysts' probably dont take this MVP into historical consideration.

Stockton would have fouled out of a lot of games if he was a Sun. The Sun's reputation does not allow for his physical brand of defense.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dirk is having a great year and it is highly unusual for a PG to win the MVP at all, let alone twice. Still, I think Nash deserves to win because of the way he's played the entire season is just incredible.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Suns have to beat the Mavs twice.
Nash has to be a major factor in those wins
Nash needs to keep his 'high 11+' APG
Dallas can't win 69+ games.
Another 12 game win streak is needed - then the Suns will also have three 12+ game win streaks in the same season, tying the Mavs.
Suns have to finish with at least 63 wins and set a franchise best!

IMO Nash is more deserving than Dirk, but the above has to happen for him to get it. There are quite a few media guys pimping Dirk now... case in point, Marc Jackson on the telecast yesterday. He was singing the praises on Nash all game, and then said he would vote for Dirk if asked to today.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
To be clear and honest... I don't care who wins the MVP award this year... Who is going to win the Championship? That is all that really matters now.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
To say that Dirk doesn't make his teammates better is just plane wrong. It ignores all the intangibles that go along with a player that other fans can't see in a box score. Case in point, the Mavs last game against Houston, on the go ahead bucket by JET, Dirk sets a solid pick on Alston, JET turns the corner, and both McGrady and Alston practically hug Dirk. . . JET gets the wide open jumper in the lane. . nobody was even close to him. No assist for Dirk, but it was obvious that if anyone else was setting that pick JET would have never gotten that shot. Also, secondary or hockey type assists from the pass out of the post wouldn't happen for Dirk if he wasn't a great player. Just b/c the man doesn't have the assists to show it doesn't mean he's every bit on par w a Nash, Kobe, Duncan, or KG at making the game easier for his teammates. It's also relative to a players position as well, it would be like saying Chris Paul (or whoever you'd like) wasn't a good rebounder b/c he only grabs 4.5 a game. . . he's a PG for goodness sakes!! Dynamic scorers and matchup nightmares will always make the others around them better, regardless of the numbers. Just there presence alone cause the game to be easier for everyone else.

And I know I only post on Dallas topics. . . but you guys played the best defense I've ever seen you play yesterday.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05