Docket mouths off

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish teams would start demanding to sign new contracts when the player doesnt live up to the money he is making.

Actually, they do. Quite often. The Cards did this as recently as last year with Bert Berry.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
dockett should be fined for each minute of mandatory camp he misses, and im sure he will be.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We can't be an elite franchise, or even a respectable franchise, until either the FO learns how to keep our players happy, or our players decide to buy into a team mentality and quit being so selfish.

The one thing that I think the team has going for them is that although they may not love the front office, they love each other and get each others backs. So when Sunday comes around they will play for each other.

Napier

Pond Hopping
Reaction score
If you sign a contract you have to accept, and take responsibility, that it may not be to your liking in the future - that's life. I am fed up with these players signing and (presumably) taking those guaranteed dollars, only to whine and complain 1-2 years later.

I understand they have a limited career, really I do, but what is the point in signing these guys to 4-5 year deals if the players holdout after a year or two? The ink was barely dry on Dockett's contract before he started to open his mouth about it. Quite what it thinks the FO should have done about Warner is beyond me - the guy hadn't even announced he was even going to play until a few days ago.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you sign a contract you have to accept, and take responsibility, that it may not be to your liking in the future - that's life. I am fed up with these players signing and (presumably) taking those guaranteed dollars, only to whine and complain 1-2 years later.

I understand they have a limited career, really I do, but what is the point in signing these guys to 4-5 year deals if the players holdout after a year or two? The ink was barely dry on Dockett's contract before he started to open his mouth about it. Quite what it thinks the FO should have done about Warner is beyond me - the guy hadn't even announced he was even going to play until a few days ago.

Do you feel the same way when 2 or 3 years into a 5 or 6 year contract a team cuts a player? Goes both ways. Owners dont have to honor them why should players? Especially a player who has clearly outplayed said contract?

Napier

Pond Hopping
Reaction score
But realistically those that complain are at a lesser risk of being cut by their respective teams - it's unlikely that Q or Dockett are at risk of being cut. Even if they were cap casualties they'd have to be amongst the highest earners and would be picked up by another team.

If Dockett deserves another contract that's fine; but to be complaining to the media when, as a team, we have higher priority players we have to lock is bit off to me - especially if he's already mentioning skipping mandatory workouts in February!

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
Do you feel the same way when 2 or 3 years into a 5 or 6 year contract a team cuts a player? Goes both ways. Owners dont have to honor them why should players? Especially a player who has clearly outplayed said contract?

Shane you make a great point here. In football...er soccer :) over here, if a team wants to get rid of a player they have to buy out his contract or come to an agreement with that both parties are happy with. Contracts are binding both ways

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
how come i get the feeling that since the Cards made the SB that the players feel like they should be paid more? Isn't it their job to try and make the SB every year? Did DD give any money back when they were 4-12?

The common thread here is Rosenhaus. None of the other players are publicly asking for new contracts or making demands. It's the way he operates. The Cards and the rest of the NFL know his act and won't buy into it. DR isn't stupid. Publicity is good for him when a guy *******,gets a new deal, and it's on sportscenter means his name is out there for future clients.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Why dont teams like the Patriots have these issues with players?

Guys like Deion Branch ? Or guys like Asante Samuels ? Or guys like Ty Law?

Selective memory makes all organizations look better than the Cardinals.

I just got done reading about how the Steelers never have these issues as well, which is completely false, Plaxico Burress, Alan Faneca, and Joey Porter.

And the list goes on and on for every NFL team.

It is a way of life in the NFL, and I like the fact the Cardinals do not cave into all the hype.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

That just doesnt work for me anymore. It does not go both ways not even in the slightest. Yes they can be cut but the player also walks away with 2-3 years of paychecks and bonus money that was negotiatied to be 5 years worth. Then get to go sign a new deal for more bonus money. All the player is missing out on is year 4 and 5 of his base salaries.

And where do you draw the line. Dockett was complaining about his deal only one year into it. That clearly falls on the head of Dockett and his agent who signed a deal 1 year prior, that they now deem to be to low. Once again if a player wants to be paid accordingly year to year all they have to do is sign 1 or two year contracts. They know what the contract game is and how it works. They know they will be underpaid half way through their long term contract but they want the big up front money, and to get paid like they should yearly. They cant have it both ways and this is exactly what Dockett is trying to do. What is to stop Dockett from complaining again next year if we restructured his deal this year.

It is really very simple. Sign the long term security contract or sign the short term get paid what you deserve yearly contract. Its one or the other not both. If the playes dont like it tough, its what they negotiated in their labor agreement, and its how the negotiate their own contracts. It is all in their own hands, not the teams. I have no sympathy for any of them in that situation.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I just got done reading about how the Steelers never have these issues as well, which is completely false, Plaxico Burress, Alan Faneca, and Joey Porter.

It is a way of life in the NFL, and I like the fact the Cardinals do not cave into all the hype.

Correct.

Its just that we hear about it more from the Cards because, first we have more access on the Cards and look for it more, and second the Pats and Pitt took hardline stances years ago and wont even talk to an agent of a player with more then one year left on their deals. They wont even get into a discusion but with the Cards they want to try and be mister nice guy and give said players even a glimmer of hope by even sitting down and discussing it with them instead of just flat out telling them no. Its weird but the players wont talk as much if the Cards were or become more hard asses on these issues, and once they become more consistent with these issues while having success.

We also dont here about it from Pitt or PAts as often because both teams have a histroy of saying see ya to so called malcontents and replacing them without missing a beat. We are slowing getting to that point hopefully.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

But the Pats just let em go and some other winner takes their place lol

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
That just doesnt work for me anymore. It does not go both ways not even in the slightest. Yes they can be cut but the player also walks away with 2-3 years of paychecks and bonus money that was negotiatied to be 5 years worth. Then get to go sign a new deal for more bonus money. All the player is missing out on is year 4 and 5 of his base salaries.

And where do you draw the line. Dockett was complaining about his deal only one year into it. That clearly falls on the head of Dockett and his agent who signed a deal 1 year prior, that they now deem to be to low. Once again if a player wants to be paid accordingly year to year all they have to do is sign 1 or two year contracts. They know what the contract game is and how it works. They know they will be underpaid half way through their long term contract but they want the big up front money, and to get paid like they should yearly. They cant have it both ways and this is exactly what Dockett is trying to do. What is to stop Dockett from complaining again next year if we restructured his deal this year.

It is really very simple. Sign the long term security contract or sign the short term get paid what you deserve yearly contract. Its one or the other not both. If the playes dont like it tough, its what they negotiated in their labor agreement, and its how the negotiate their own contracts. It is all in their own hands, not the teams. I have no sympathy for any of them in that situation.
And we have a winner, folks!

Reaction score
But the Pats just let em go and some other winner takes their place lol
And this is the situation the Cardinals are trying to get into themselves. Reference: Boldin. The guy is a great player, there has never been any question of that. But should he be dealt to another team the Cardinals offense shouldn't miss a beat. This past season's 5-1 record without Q on the field is evidence of that. Breaston has already stepped up and Doucet is in the wing.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whatever happened to playing out the contract you signed? I wish teams would start demanding to sign new contracts when the player doesnt live up to the money he is making.

Think Ill hold off on buying that Dockett jersey I was looking at.

A cursory look at the number of cap casualties this off season would tell you exactly what management does when they decide to renege of a signed agreement.

Until contracts are guaranteed, both parties will feel free to demand new deals.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man are we back to the Bidwill's are cheap this soon after a Superbowl ?

That didn't take long

Surprised???? I am not at all. There are certain associates who live for that crap....bet bet is to just pass and don't waste your time....you will NEVER be disappointed if have no expectations for certain people. A good life lesson I was taught.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't be an elite franchise, or even a respectable franchise, until either the FO learns how to keep our players happy, or our players decide to buy into a team mentality and quit being so selfish.

Oh, you mean like Pittsburgh with Alan Faneca and Joey Porter?

Or is it NYG with Shockey and Plaxico Burress?

Or the Patriots with the two great DBs whose names escape me and Deion Branch?

Or is it Philly with the all-pro safety who is unhappy with his deal? And now McNabb.

Maybe it's the Colts with Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison and Saturday?

Need I go on? Come on. Look around you.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is part of the contract they signed, why is this so hard for you to understand Shane. If they don't like it, ask for more up front money, which I'm sure they would be willing to give back if they underperform. This is the part you don't get Shane

They always have another option, go flip burgers