Dockett vs. Bryant.....a tale of the tape

spanky1

Reaction score
I thought that I would post this as an attempt to put Bryant's career versus Dockett's into perspective. You see, I am a believer that we have been far too critical of Bryant and have had extremely out of wack expectations. Here is why.

Bryant came out of U. of Wisc. as a 21 yr. old. He is now only 23. Dockett turned 23 in May. Bryant is 6'5" and 305 and Dockett is 6'4" and 301.

Bryant played in 37 collegiate games......Dockett in 47. Here are some comparables. Bryant made 189 tackles (122 solo) vs. Dockett's 247 tackles (123 solos). Bryant had 24 QB sacks versus 10.5 for Dockett. Wendall had 41 stops for loss versus 64 for Darnell. Both players competed in very high level conferences. My observation........these guys are VERY similar. Either Bryant was taken too high or Dockett was taken low........you make the call.

I believe that with Deek's D-Line coaching expertise, Bryant will come on strong.....hell, he was just a pup (21) when drafted. They always have said that it takes two years for a DT to reach his potential. This seems about right when comparing him against other DT's taken in the 1st rounds over the last few years.

I'm starting to salvitate over the prospects of a D-Line that looks like D. Johnson; W. Bryant; D. Dockett and B. Berry.......and I also believe that Pace will push Berry this year.......JMHO!

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Dockett is gonna rock.

agreed..

What about a "desire to play football" attitude comparison. I don't think we are/were too critical on Wendell, however, he may be ready to turn the corner on his past, underperforming self...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MAKTEN said:
agreed..

What about a "desire to play football" attitude comparison. I don't think we are/were too critical on Wendell, however, he may be ready to turn the corner on his past, underperforming self...

The one thing is Wendell has never really had a "full year". Missed so much
of his rookie year because of the contract, and then got hurt last year
and wasn't ever the same.

But I think it's pretty clear he wasn't ready for the "energy level" needed to
compete in the NFL.

Nice thread though Spanky, your point is quite valid about the ages and expectations of the 2.

Reaction score
I would love to see Bryant "come into his own" this year. Does anybody know, or heard anything regarding Wendell's offseason workout routine. I believe that he needed to improve his overall strength and conditioning vs. last two years.

There were game that Bryant played in college that he truly dominated (in Eric Swann fashion). It would be awesome if he could show that type of flash at the NFL level.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Bryant's biggest problem is that he was switched around in college from DE to DT. A lot of those good looking college numbers were at DE. That's why he had more sacks. Then with the Cards, he also was moved around, and missed his first training camp. As far as the DT position goes, Wendall had a lot of catching up to do to make in the NFL as a DT. The bottom line is they are both young and both going to get better. But I think it is unfair to judge Bryant on his college accolades (at least in comparison to Dockett), and equally unfair to judge him on his NFL numbers as a man with no position and no real training. I think both could turn out to be great DTs down the line. But you're absolutely right that he shouldn't be written off so soon.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Dockett is gonna rock.

"Rock It Like Dockett" That's a game sign in the waiting.

Now we need to sign someone named Trunkett: Funk it like Trunkett
someone named Hazzett: Jazz it like Hazzett
I'm bored.

Last edited:

seesred

Reaction score
I think we all believe Bryant has a huge upsaide. I think we also agree that only Bryant get it done. I think his confedence has been broken badly with the poor coaching and the not sure where to put the guy attitude. Most players have to get thier shot at one position. It's hard enough trying to learn the pro game at one position let only being moved, pulled, and put down as a failure by fans and media.

Bryant is a young gifted athletic player. He has size, speed and good foot work inside. What he lacks IMO right now is confidence. Let us hope that he has enough left in his head, so that it will tell the body how to get it done just like in college.Time will tell and I hope for his sake he can find that something that at one time made him a very special player.

GBR

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I have NEVER seen anything good out of Bryant. He has been a complete bust sofar.

If he ever becomes a good DT. this team would be ALOT better.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Bryant came out of college the word on him was a little soft and that he needed to get stronger especially the upper body. He obviously didn't/couldn't do that between the time he was drafted and his eventual signing.
Then after joining the team the kid was moved from 1 spot to another. Proof once again of the ineptness of the past coaching staff. Bryant should have not seen 1 minute of playing time until he had busted his ass in the weight room and had ample time to practice and be coached "up" if that was at all possible with Joe Greene.
If I'm not mistaking, Bryant didn't even partake in mini-camp because of the insurance waiver issue. Then he missed the entire training camp.
So here you have a 21 year old kid who was basically thrown to the wolves with just the knowledge he was able to gain by watching some mini camps.

Be that as it may, this young man had better be spending his entire off season in the weight room. There are no more excuses for not being physically ready for the challenge.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tape never won a football game.

Let's see how the two do when they're on the practice field at the same time and how effective they are on the field on the same day against a common opponent.

Right now, a couple of weeks prior to Camp, I'm pulling for both of them (either side by side or backing one another up at UT), given our lack of quality depth inside.

The way I see it is - If either of the two can't hack it...we may be doomed (Doomed!!!)

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oran said:
"Rock It Like Dockett" That's a game sign in the waiting.

Now we need to sign someone named Trunkett: Funk it like Trunkett
someone named Hazzett: Jazz it like Hazzett
I'm bored.

What if we traded with Atlanta for Duckett?

:eek: :p :D :shock:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05