Votes: 19 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does a half second really matter? If Suggs ran a 4.85 or a 4.35, does it really matter....

Time to take a poll.....

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Does a half second really matter? If Suggs ran a 4.85 or a 4.35, does it really matter....

Time to take a poll.....

do you have any idea how fast 4.35 is? That would be like having a d-lineman who could run like Deion or Moss. Hell yes it matters.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Re: Re: Does a half second really matter

Originally posted by cheesebeef
do you have any idea how fast 4.35 is? That would be like having a d-lineman who could run like Deion or Moss. Hell yes it matters.

I don't really believe anyone runs a 4.3.....Carl Lewis could barely do it, yet the NFL talks about guys that run faster.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Considering:

Some aren't sure what position he should play.
Some are concerned about how much he should weigh.
Suggs himself is obviously not sure how much he should weigh.
Some are concerned about his upper body stregnth.

I think it's fair to question why his one given, his speed, isn't where even he thought it was going to be. It's only half a second, but half a second is all that separates Suggs and Big in the forty at this point. That's a concern, I think.

Personally, I think it's his work ethic (gut feeling).
I think his new offseason diet lasted about twenty minutes and he's back on the Jack in the Box #5's, and he hasn't been training.
How do you train for a month to do one less rep at 225?

OP
OP
RedStorm

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You look for quickness (explosiveness) off the line. Track time is different to game time IMO.

OP
OP
RedStorm

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Considering:

Some aren't sure what position he should play.
Some are concerned about how much he should weigh.
Suggs himself is obviously not sure how much he should weigh.
Some are concerned about his upper body stregnth.

I think it's fair to question why his one given, his speed, isn't where even he thought it was going to be. It's only half a second, but half a second is all that separates Suggs and Big in the forty at this point. That's a concern, I think.

Personally, I think it's his work ethic (gut feeling).
I think his new offseason diet lasted about twenty minutes and he's back on the Jack in the Box #5's, and he hasn't been training.
How do you train for a month to do one less rep at 225?

Those are all viable questions and might warrant a new poll. But on speed, I do not think it matters that much. Especially when we are talking .5 second or less.

Last edited:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Those are all viable questions and might warrant a new poll. But on speed, I do not think it matters that much.

Mine was worded poorly. I was trying to say that given other issues, his speed should have been the one cornerstone that could be counted on, but it wasn't.

OP
OP
RedStorm

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
Mine was worded poorly. I was trying to say that given other issues, his speed should have been the one cornerstone that could be counted on, but it wasn't.

I think everyone was surprised with his workouts but I take little stock in those. Bottom line is can he play football. I think he can and he would help out our DL and pass rush.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
A half second is actually quite a long time. Time enough to release a ball, get back in position to make a block, the difference from tipping a ball or not, recovering a fumble or not, intercepting a pass or not. It is a game of inches and 1/2 seconds.

I say yes it does matter.

That being said I would be happy with Suggs. I think he will be the real deal.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
my god there are a lot of peeps that are suggs-blinded!

i made a very cogent and accurate argument about the difference of a mere .2 seconds. a full HALF SECOND is an ENORMOUS difference of time at the NFL level!!! for anyone to brush that large of a change under the rug is just pure stupidity. i'm sorry that comes out so harsh, but i gotta call it as i see it.

if suggs ran a 4.35 he's #1 in the draft. there isn't even a question. that's how large a difference it makes.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by PHXSPORTS4LIFE
my god there are a lot of peeps that are suggs-blinded!

i made a very cogent and accurate argument about the difference of a mere .2 seconds. a full HALF SECOND is an ENORMOUS difference of time at the NFL level!!! for anyone to brush that large of a change under the rug is just pure stupidity. i'm sorry that comes out so harsh, but i gotta call it as i see it.

if suggs ran a 4.35 he's #1 in the draft. there isn't even a question. that's how large a difference it makes.

No one seemed very worried about a DE who ran .27 seconds slower than the other two picked in the first round last year.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8878

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
The funny thing is that Peppers only benched 19 times....

wasn't Peppers suspended from the league for body building supplements? Could it be that he realized he wasn't strong enough to play with the big boys and so he had to use supplements in order to be successful? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
wasn't Peppers suspended from the league for body building supplements? Could it be that he realized he wasn't strong enough to play with the big boys and so he had to use supplements in order to be successful? Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Ummm....12 sacks in like 10 games or so isn't playing with the big boys?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Ummm....12 sacks in like 10 games or so isn't playing with the big boys?

you missed the point - what if the supplements were what helped gain that extra bit of strength in order to get those sacks?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score

Wasnt it proven that it was cold medicine and not a supplement? Anyway .5 sec is an extremely long amount of time especially in football. Have a DE wait .5 sec before he can rush i bet you he does not get one sack. Reaction time is crucial. You have to be the first one off the line and the first one to hit the opposing player. Speed makes or breaks the DE position. If you are not fast around the corner you are not a good DE. I think suggs is a lot faster than his workouts show. I would love to pick suggs if the cardinals think he has the mentality to be a team player and not like randy moss. If he learns to play hard everytime you step on the field the kid will be very special.

OP
OP
RedStorm

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it looks like a half second of straight line speed really matters.

So be it.

azdeftone

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
you cant even blink in half a second I think you all are putting way to much thought in this. He is obviously fast enough to get it done on the field! Who holds the college sack record? Who should we pick if he is still on the board? If he is not TRADE DOWN PLEASE!!!! SUGGS would help us tremendously and what the hell draft another DE in round 2 cant have too many.

OP
OP
RedStorm

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azdeftone
you cant even blink in half a second I think you all are putting way to much thought in this. He is obviously fast enough to get it done on the field! Who holds the college sack record? Who should we pick if he is still on the board? If he is not TRADE DOWN PLEASE!!!! SUGGS would help us tremendously and what the hell draft another DE in round 2 cant have too many.
'

I agree.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the blink comment is absolutely ********. have two guys run 40s. the guy running 4.5 finishes with at least 6 yards to spare on the guy running 5.0. it makes a huge difference.

azdeftone

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
YOUR an idoit! Is there a 40 yrd shotgun formation we all dont know about Jackass!!! He is not a freaking receiver that half second does not mean ****! He gets the JOB done better than any other college DE ever so I dont care if he ran a 5.5 i still take him when that is our biggest need. Dont go pushing your ******* opinion as fact.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
YOUR an idoit! Is there a 40 yrd shotgun formation we all dont know about Jackass!!! He is not a freaking receiver that half second does not mean ****! He gets the JOB done better than any other college DE ever so I dont care if he ran a 5.5 i still take him when that is our biggest need. Dont go pushing your ******* opinion as fact.

UH OH
You must be registered for see images

hef

Veteran
Reaction score
OUCH!although i agree w/ your original point, let's try to play nice fella's:D

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
well, i'm not gonna succumb to name-calling. never have stooped that low. but your comment that you'd take him even if he ran a 5.5 is all the argument you need to make for me. thanks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It is truly funny, when someone attempts to call someone an "idiot", but ends up looking like the idiot themselves when they spell it wrong....PHXSPORTS4LIFE you are an "idoit" whatever the hell that is! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05