Does Marion Want Out Of Phoenix?

fordronken

Reaction score
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=16742

Sujei (Puerto Rico): Do you see any chemistry problem with the Suns especially with Marion after all the trade talk? Thanks Ric

Ric Bucher: (3:17 PM ET ) An excellent question. Marion, God love him, is always unhappy. It's as if it's simply part of his DNA, so much so that the Suns have just accepted that that's his general demeanor. I had heard from someone close to Shawn that he was going to make a move to get out of Phoenix before the season started. The problem is, there aren't a whole lot of takers. He reminds me a lot of Wally S. when he was in Minnesota. He probably wasn't as appreciated as he should've been, but he also didn't realize just how good he had/has it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant!! :D

Get 'er done!

;)

What's funny is that Marion + ATL 08 actually works salary-wise. Well, according to RealGM, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
I feel like Iavaroni would LOVE to have Marion on his team to help along their progress to the proper style. Would Memphis take Marion and the Atlanta pick for Gasol?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gasol is redundant with Stoudemire. If Marion goes to Memphis, I want the oft-discussed Miller/Swift/Stoudamire package.

If Marion starts whining again this year I am really going to lose it. The Suns had a deal worked out to move him to the Celtics, and he nixed it. Make up your freaking mind, youknowwhatI'msayin?

I doubt there's ever been a case like this of a (potentially) contending team being held hostage by their third-best player. Maybe the Bulls with Rodman, but Jordan was such a personality force that he was able to keep things in line.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gasol is redundant with Stoudemire. If Marion goes to Memphis, I want the oft-discussed Miller/Swift/Stoudamire package.

If Marion starts whining again this year I am really going to lose it. The Suns had a deal worked out to move him to the Celtics, and he nixed it. Make up your freaking mind, youknowwhatI'msayin?

I doubt there's ever been a case like this of a (potentially) contending team being held hostage by their third-best player. Maybe the Bulls with Rodman, but Jordan was such a personality force that he was able to keep things in line.

Can you explain this for me?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I feel like Iavaroni would LOVE to have Marion on his team to help along their progress to the proper style. Would Memphis take Marion and the Atlanta pick for Gasol?

I see Gasol as the exact opposite of run n gun

trot n post seems more fitting

Iavaroni's favorite sun is diaw too

If we traded marion + 08 we would have to get hakim warrick (the poor mans marion) back in the trade

warrick/swift/miller would be solid, but would never happen

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Come to think of it a move involving swift and others may be more probable due to their signing of Darko. Having a SF like marion in the mix would be a very versatile frontcourt for them. Swift/miller/warrick for marion/08 would make us crazy deep and give us decent talent to keep our momentum running considering the loss of marion.

Nash / Barbosa
Bell / Miller
Hill / Warrick
Diaw / Swift
Amare / Marks

Banks, Tucker, Strawberry, piat

Conley Jr / Stoudamire
Dhantay Jones /
Shawn Marion / Gay
Darko Milicic / Cardinal
Pau Gasol

Not to mention we would have the undisputed best 3pt team in the league. Haha could you imagine a 4th quarter, down by 20, Nash/Barbosa/Bell/Miller/Diaw as the lineup scoring 40 points in 10 minutes. Our worst 3pt shooter on the floor would have a 33% average!

Ok getting ahead of myself

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
Nash / Barbosa
Bell / Miller
Hill / Warrick
Diaw / Swift
Amare / Marks

Banks, Tucker, Strawberry, piat

If your above lineup was true, it'd look more like this:

Nash/Banks
Bell/Barbosa
Miller/Hill
Diaw/Warrick
Amare/Swift

Marks, Tucker, DJ, Pike

Fantastic lineup.

----------------

Now, as far as MARION goes, I believe this is going to be his last season. I highly doubt he picks up his option. The man is waiting to bolt of out town the minute he gets a chance. But it's okay. There are plenty of sign-trade options and free agents to work with in filling Marion's void. Not to mention a nice Atlanta pick. Gonna be a great offseason next year.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I used to not mind Bucher so much, but after the KG rumors and how all of that got soooo blown out of proportion, I see no season to believe that Marion really wants out that bad based on Bucher's statements.

However, if this by some miracle is true, and Marion really does want out, they really should be looking to trade him now instead of when he might try to force his way out. The quality of proposed deals seem to drop in this situation.

I don't believe it to be true in that he'll force his way out, but I would really LOVE the Memphis trade.

Nash/Banks/Strawberry?
Bell/Barbosa/Pike
Hill/Miller/Tucker
Diaw/Warrick
Amare/Swift/Marks

I'd be all for this team.

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Eff Marion! He needs to go! I wanted him gone 3 years ago....

Now, that MEM trade would be friggin AWESOME for this team!

My starters:

Nash-Bell-Miller-Warrick-Stoudemire

Bench:

Barbosa-Hill-Swift-Diaw-Banks-Tucker-Strawberry-Marks-Pike

Now we're back in contention, baby!!!!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I used to not mind Bucher so much, but after the KG rumors and how all of that got soooo blow out of proportion, I see no season to believe that Marion really wants out that bad based on Bucher's statements.

However, if this by some miracle is true, and Marion really does want out, they really should be looking to trade him now instead of when he might try to force his way out. The quality of proposed deals seem to drop in this situation.

I don't believe it to be true in that he'll force his way out, but I would really LOVE the Memphis trade.

Nash/Banks/Strawberry?
Bell/Barbosa/Pike
Hill/Miller/Tucker
Diaw/Warrick
Amare/Swift/Marks

I'd be all for this team.

Agree 100%

Bucher went from questionable to pompous windbag in the last 3 months

Wont stop me from dreaming about the memphis trade :)

Edit: Bucher is spreading a rumor about Artest to the Knicks, which has promptly been shut down already. What a tool.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eff Marion! He needs to go! I wanted him gone 3 years ago....

Now, that MEM trade would be friggin AWESOME for this team!

My starters:

Nash-Bell-Miller-Warrick-Stoudemire

Bench:

Barbosa-Hill-Swift-Diaw-Banks-Tucker-Strawberry-Marks-Pike

Now we're back in contention, baby!!!!

I'd like the deal too, but you honestly think that we aren' tin contention now? It was the selling of the draft picks, wasn't it? :sarcasm:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
We are not contending this year as this roster stands. This season - if we go in as equipped - will be merely another year of mental masturbation....

Even with the MEM trade, we are merely in contention, not a lock....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are not contending this year as this roster stands. This season - if we go in as equipped - will be merely another year of mental masturbation....

Even with the MEM trade, we are merely in contention, not a lock....

So it wasn't the picks, it was Kurt Thomas?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anyone actually thought about the very scary realization that Marion will actually opt-out next summer, we won't want him back at the years/ridiculous salary someone might give him, which leaves us without part of "the core", but still over the luxury tax, unable to sign anyone that can really replace him? it's just another reason I think dumping KT will prove to be unbelievably stupid if another move isn't made. This coming year was really going to be IT, an 8 man rotation, the ability to match up with anyone, big or small and if they couldn't get it done after four years, it was going to be time to make changes. Now, we're going into the IT year, looking at a lot of uncertainty in the future, but we're not firing with a full complement of bullets. sigh. makes me sad when i think of the suns.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
has anyone actually thought about the very scary realization that Marion will actually opt-out next summer, we won't want him back at the years/ridiculous salary someone might give him, which leaves us without part of "the core", but still over the luxury tax, unable to sign anyone that can really replace him? it's just another reason I think dumping KT will prove to be unbelievably stupid if another move isn't made. This coming year was really going to be IT, an 8 man rotation, the ability to match up with anyone, big or small and if they couldn't get it done after four years, it was going to be time to make changes. Now, we're going into the IT year, looking at a lot of uncertainty in the future, but we're not firing with a full complement of bullets. sigh. makes me sad when i think of the suns.

If Marion doesn't pick up his option, Suns would have the option to sign-n-trade with an extention to another team.

And how would Suns not have any room to sign a free agent if Marion decides to not pick up his option? If Marion doesn't pick it up, Suns would have ample salary space to sign a quality free agent. AND they have the Hawks pick to add more to the rotation.

Next year will be great......Looking forward to Marion leaving.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Marion doesn't pick up his option, Suns would have the option to sign-n-trade with an extention to another team.

no they wouldn't. Marion would have the option of GIVING the Suns the opportunity to work a sign and trade but he doesn't have to do anything to help us out. The Suns have no power whatsoever if he opts out.

And how would Suns not have any room to sign a free agent if Marion decides to not pick up his option? If Marion doesn't pick it up, Suns would have ample salary space to sign a quality free agent.

Actually, they wouldn't have ample room to sign a FA if Marion opts-out. They'd have roughly 55 million dollars in salary, putting them probably just under the cap next year by a million or so dollars. A million dollars is "ample space" to sign a quality FA? No. And if they're under the cap, as they would be without Marion, then they wouldn't even have the MLE to replace him (which couldn't replace him anyway).

AND they have the Hawks pick to add more to the rotation.

Next year will be great......Looking forward to Marion leaving.

yeah, well, we'll see.

Errntknght

Reaction score
cheese,
And if they're under the cap, as they would be without Marion, then they wouldn't even have the MLE to replace him

Remember that a team always gets the MLE and other exceptions, whether they are under the cap or not. They have to choose between renouncing the exceptions or renouncing their cap space. (Otherwise, teams just under the cap would be worse off than teams over the cap - one of few bits of logic is the whole system.)

sunsfn

Reaction score
I have read a lot of articles about the Boston deal, and Marion was quoted as saying he never said he would not play for Boston, so I do not think he stopped that trade, and actually do not think the Suns were ever that serious about making that trade. Garnett=22 mil this coming year and 24 mil the next year.............Sarver must have choked when he heard that!

Does anyone hear really think Marion is going to opt out of his big contract next year?? Get real people, he is not going to do that.