Steve Nash Frustrated As Phoenix Suns Enter Season

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What's wrong is basing an entire season on a bad preseason. Don't you see how ridiculous that is? I think that's the issue--it's hard to believe rational thinking adults don't take things like that into consideration.

Then again, on message boards it's really easy to become chicken little and proclaim the sky is falling at the drop of a hat. Because, hey, it's still just a silly game.

Pretty snide there Chap, and pretty rude to put words into Steve's mouth, who is almost always polite. I don't think he or others that are pessimistic about our chances are basing it entirely off of the preseason. It's an overall impression of the core make up of the roster in conjunction with the discouraging preseason performances.

Throughout the offseason, most Suns fans could tell that rebounding and defense would be a problem. There has been nothing in the preseason to make anyone think this will change, and if anything, those problems seem even worse than expected. It's just silly to think that anyone's pessimism is solely rooted in preseason performance. There are so many other reasons to feel that way. While I choose to believe that we'll be ok, I can completely understand why others don't.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Sports Illustrated, not normally known for being especially high on the Suns, has picked them to finish 2nd in the Pacific and 6th in the West. Which is in the playoffs, in case anyone wasn't clear.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong is basing an entire season on a bad preseason. Don't you see how ridiculous that is? I think that's the issue--it's hard to believe rational thinking adults don't take things like that into consideration.

Then again, on message boards it's really easy to become chicken little and proclaim the sky is falling at the drop of a hat. Because, hey, it's still just a silly game.

I think it's silly to sell your house and bet the proceeds on Hedo failing based solely on preseason. However, forming an opinion and offering said opinion is a different thing. As for myself, my concerns about Hedo aren't really based on the preseason. I worry because of his notorious work ethic issues, his propensity to hit all the night spots during the season and the fact that he will be forced to play a position he is ill-suited for.

His preseason performance pretty much mirrored his disappointing season in Toronto. There is plenty to worry about with Hedo. Could he prove the naysayers wrong, absolutely. But again, what is wrong with pointing out that thus far the guys appears to be a bust.

I actually expect him to find a way to be effective in Phoenix. My concern is that this season will have already taken shape by that time. As I've said before, our first 18 game stretch doesn't do us any favors and I still worry how we'll rebound from what appears to be a 5 - 13 start (or thereabouts). If we had the chemistry of last year I wouldn't be all that concerned by a rough start but I've seen no signs of that with this group (yet).

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Sports Illustrated, not normally known for being especially high on the Suns, has picked them to finish 2nd in the Pacific and 6th in the West. Which is in the playoffs, in case anyone wasn't clear.

I don't think it's insane...as I've said before, outside of LA and OK City, the rest of the west is a crap shoot and will be determined by injuries more than anything else.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty snide there Chap, and pretty rude to put words into Steve's mouth, who is almost always polite. I don't think he or others that are pessimistic about our chances are basing it entirely off of the preseason. It's an overall impression of the core make up of the roster in conjunction with the discouraging preseason performances.

Perhaps, but he's been proclaiming the Suns to be amongst the worst teams in the NBA for weeks now, whether he's doing it seriously or his famously snarky manner that we all love. He's definitely clever, and while he is certainly free to express his opinion, I think you, me and everyone else are equally free to question an opinion if the evidence for such opinion is faulty (in their opinion of course).

In reality, the only real facts on this message board at this point is basically what the Suns roster looks like. Everything else is pure conjecture whether it's that the Suns are going to be 13th in the West (like Steve has predicted) or if they will be 6th in the West (as SI has predicted--thanks Eric).

Personally, I think the Suns have the same problem a team like Manchester City has in the English Premiere League. There's no doubt we have a lot of good players, the problem is that it's going to be extremely difficult to create a well-rounded team of those players. It may never happen--but people were saying the same thing last year. So you never know. I'm relatively confident that the Suns will make the playoffs, and also equally confident that they won't end up with a top 5 pick in the draft next year (if there even is a draft). I just don't think the Suns being 6th-8th in the playoffs this season is such a stretch.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's silly to sell your house and bet the proceeds on Hedo failing based solely on preseason. However, forming an opinion and offering said opinion is a different thing. As for myself, my concerns about Hedo aren't really based on the preseason. I worry because of his notorious work ethic issues, his propensity to hit all the night spots during the season and the fact that he will be forced to play a position he is ill-suited for.

His preseason performance pretty much mirrored his disappointing season in Toronto. There is plenty to worry about with Hedo. Could he prove the naysayers wrong, absolutely. But again, what is wrong with pointing out that thus far the guys appears to be a bust.

I actually expect him to find a way to be effective in Phoenix. My concern is that this season will have already taken shape by that time. As I've said before, our first 18 game stretch doesn't do us any favors and I still worry how we'll rebound from what appears to be a 5 - 13 start (or thereabouts). If we had the chemistry of last year I wouldn't be all that concerned by a rough start but I've seen no signs of that with this group (yet).

Steve

See, now I think that's a personally reasonable explanation, and I agree with most of it. Although getting out to a 5-13 start (I don't expect it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened) isn't the end of the world. It's a long season and we generally finish seasons better than we start them. Last season was odd because we started well and finished well, but that middle part of the season was pretty bad.

As for Hedo's bad habits, I don't think they'll translate to Phoenix. He was miserable in Toronto--and there weren't any of those incidents reported in Orlando, Sacramento or San Antonio that affected his play. What makes you think Toronto will be like Phoenix? We have a better team and a better environment, as well as better players.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Perhaps, but he's been proclaiming the Suns to be amongst the worst teams in the NBA for weeks now, whether he's doing it seriously or his famously snarky manner that we all love. He's definitely clever, and while he is certainly free to express his opinion, I think you, me and everyone else are equally free to question an opinion if the evidence for such opinion is faulty (in their opinion of course).

In reality, the only real facts on this message board at this point is basically what the Suns roster looks like. Everything else is pure conjecture whether it's that the Suns are going to be 13th in the West (like Steve has predicted) or if they will be 6th in the West (as SI has predicted--thanks Eric).

Personally, I think the Suns have the same problem a team like Manchester City has in the English Premiere League. There's no doubt we have a lot of good players, the problem is that it's going to be extremely difficult to create a well-rounded team of those players. It may never happen--but people were saying the same thing last year. So you never know. I'm relatively confident that the Suns will make the playoffs, and also equally confident that they won't end up with a top 5 pick in the draft next year (if there even is a draft). I just don't think the Suns being 6th-8th in the playoffs this season is such a stretch.

Ha, perhaps we should ask City for Tevez on loan? His bulldog approach would be useful.

No kudos for Eric sadly, SI picks the Suns to be 7th. :mulli:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ha, perhaps we should ask City for Tevez on loan? His bulldog approach would be useful.

Ha! No doubt, although Tevez is a little short. But I guess being short and bulky is better than tall and willowy like Peter Crouch. :D

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
? You might want to check your source. Are you reading the consensus "Scouts' Predictions" instead?

Probably. In any event, it appears we need to get to the 6th seed to avoid LA/OKC to have a chance in a first round match up. (assuming we make the playoffs of course)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're fans on a message board, not members of a special hit squad. There is nothing final about an opinion at this stage. I have no problem with someone believing that Hedo will turn it around but why is it so wrong for some of us to believe he won't?

Do we really have to wait until there is absolutely no doubt before we formulate and share an opinion? That's what Chap and now you seem to be suggesting. If so, what's the purpose of this message board?

Steve

What are you talking about? I didn't see anybody dealing in absolutes here. Some people are just simply saying wait until we have some regular season games before declaring the "sky is falling". Nobody is saying you can't have an opinion. However, some of us are of the opinion its too early to judge this team. Although some of us have realistic expectations IMO.

Because our opinion conflicts with yours doesn't mean we are saying you have no right to your opinion. It just means we don't agree. It's a rebuttal statement. I thought those were allowed too.

Simple as that.

Last edited:

jibikao

Reaction score
Why do they have to start Hedo?? Warrick seems to be a much better choice to start with Nash.

Hedo and Dragic are probably better. What seems to be missing this year so far is our first Unit and second unit. Suns 2nd unit was so good towards the end of the season. The line-up so far has no first or second unit concept.

Would Hedo bitch and moan if he doesn't start?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Let's see

Hedo bitching or Suns winning. What's more important? Hmmm... I rather have Hedo bitch on the bench for 3 years than have him ruin the flow of the starting lineup.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
What seems to be missing this year so far is our first Unit and second unit. Suns 2nd unit was so good towards the end of the season. The line-up so far has no first or second unit concept.
Gentry is going with a ten-man rotation, just as last year. it's just going to take some time to gel, once he decides how to best use Hedo. His slow start should make it easier to move him to the second, where he will probably have a better chance to excel.

The second unit played pretty well in our last game, against the Spurs. With Robin in foul trouble, our 11th man Garret Siler took some of his minutes at Center, and made a good first impression.

Of course, he has a long way to go. But it sure was nice to have a second real Center in the game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second unit played pretty well in our last game, against the Spurs. With Robin in foul trouble, our 11th man Garret Siler took some of his minutes at Center, and made a good first impression.

BC867, you finally got your big man. :D

Seriously, I think Siler has some upside. I want the Suns to take some time and develop him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC867, you finally got your big man. :D

Seriously, I think Siler has some upside. I want the Suns to take some time and develop him.

He looks even more baby-faced than Oliver Miller. He worked diligently setting wide picks while he was on the court.

He narrowly missed his first shot, but got one of two free throws.

I hope, of course, that he takes some minutes from Frye rather than Lopez, but reality is that he will probably not see action on a regular basis. Just against the teams with a big front line, perhaps.

Hayduke

Registered
Reaction score
Siler really wants to play though, and he really wants to do good. I could see him improving greatly under the right system. Makes me think Glen Davis in Boston. Not saying that's going to happen here.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Look, Siler seems like a good kid, but let's be honest, expecting him to be anything more than an 11th man is asking more than what he can deliver. It's easy to be excited, but come on now.

jibikao

Reaction score
So who is the most disappointing player so far? Robin Lopez? I thought he had a mini-break out year last year and then he got injured.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who is the most disappointing player so far? Robin Lopez? I thought he had a mini-break out year last year and then he got injured.

I believe this is correct. However, there are still some mail-in votes that not have been counted for Turkoglu and Frye.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is correct. However, there are still some mail-in votes that not have been counted for Turkoglu and Frye.

They won't be enough to sway the final result. Many of us were disappointed with the signing of Frye and the trade for Hedo so expectations were naturally lowered. I think we all pretty much had high hopes for Lopez and he's been by far the worst player on the court thus far. Also, his success would mean so much more to this franchise in the long run than either Hedo or Frye so that also factors in.

Steve

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think the concept of "mail-in" support for Turkoglu is pretty funny, since mailing it in is exactly what he appears to be doing on the court. (Yes, I have read the reports that he is working hard between games.)

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Kinda weird that they are going to split and she just had a baby....She doesn't look very friendly from first glance.