Does Marion Want Out Of Phoenix?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anyone actually thought about the very scary realization that Marion will actually opt-out next summer, we won't want him back at the years/ridiculous salary someone might give him, which leaves us without part of "the core", but still over the luxury tax, unable to sign anyone that can really replace him?

If Marion opts out, not only would the the Suns would be $13 million under the current luxury tax, they would be $1 million under the cap with all the other key players under contract. Those numbers would look even better with the new cap and lux tax figures for 07-08.

It's probably the best case scenario if he does. Suns could do a sign an trade for a player they like, assuming Marion finds a team willing to pay him whatever he wants. Suns could renounce their rights and let Marion walk. Suns could tell Marion to go find his market value and they'll match up to a certain number (I'm guessing nothing more than $12 mil).

If they let Marion walk, they'll keep the Atlanta pick and likely try to find a free agent with their full MLE.

But those are all the reasons to believe Marion won't opt-out. He won't get close to $17 million from anyone next year, so he'd be opting out just to get a decent extension before he hits the scary 32-year-old mark.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Suns could tell Marion to go find his market value and they'll match up to a certain number (I'm guessing nothing more than $12 mil).

I would have agreed before seeing what Lewis got on the open market.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have agreed before seeing what Lewis got on the open market.

I'm not saying Marion won't get more than $12 million, but I'm certain the Suns won't pay more than what they gave Amare.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sigh are we going to have these marion wants out of Phoenix threads every other day now.... I would love Marion to be on the suns when we win a title hes been with us through everything and he deserves it

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant!! :D

Get 'er done!

;)

What's funny is that Marion + ATL 08 actually works salary-wise. Well, according to RealGM, anyway.

Marion and Barbosa for Kobe would make the Lakers a better team. They would have several solid players that are all good TEAM players.

The Suns would probably struggle against that Lakers team as well because we would have no front line and nobody that could slow down Barbosa.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
After what happend with lewis marion is definately opting next year. I think his agent will hint on the "you could be injured next year and there go your chances" type deal so he might as well make sure he has another contract hammered out. The draft is going to be so-so, thus someone will overpay for a proven all-star to try and get to the playoffs or compete in them.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The draft is going to be so-so, thus someone will overpay for a proven all-star to try and get to the playoffs or compete in them.

Enough players held out of the 2007 draft like Nic Batum to make the 2008 draft every bit as enticing for at least the first round.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
If we keep the pick I hope you guys are right, but so far from what I have seen I get the "eh" kind of feeling. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Marion and Barbosa for Kobe would make the Lakers a better team. They would have several solid players that are all good TEAM players.

The Suns would probably struggle against that Lakers team as well because we would have no front line and nobody that could slow down Barbosa.

LA radio was discussing a bucher article in which he was going to reiterate that kobe hadn't backed off his trade demands, and in fact, is more angered with the lakers than ever after playing with kidd for team usa.

maybe kobe is coming east by just one state and marion can be happy to be an ex-sun in LA. i'd give up marion, barbs, and the atl pick.

nash
bell
kobe
diaw
amare

grant hill
who cares

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we keep the pick I hope you guys are right, but so far from what I have seen I get the "eh" kind of feeling. Hopefully that makes sense.

next year's draft doesn't have as many bigs, but it's guards are phenomenal. it will be a very good draft.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Memphis looks to be getting Juan Carlos Navarro, giving them an up and coming SG.

Maybe theyre more willing to shop miller and swift since they added some talent at their areas.

Would Marion be interested in getting more spotlight in a less established trio?
Conley/Navarro/Marion/Darko/Gasol seems like a solid lineup that could push someone out of the bottom of the playoff bracket

marion/08 for swift/miller/warrick... can you taste it?!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Memphis looks to be getting Juan Carlos Navarro, giving them an up and coming SG.

Maybe theyre more willing to shop miller and swift since they added some talent at their areas.

Would Marion be interested in getting more spotlight in a less established trio?
Conley/Navarro/Marion/Darko/Gasol seems like a solid lineup that could push someone out of the bottom of the playoff bracket

marion/08 for swift/miller/warrick... can you taste it?!

I would be all over that trade. It would give us much needed depth in the front court. I think it would make our starting unit a little weaker, but improve our team overall. Who would you start?

Nash
Bell
Miller
?? I say Warrick or Swift for defense and shotblocking
Stoudemire

Hill, Barbs, Diaw, Swift/Warrick.

That's a nice bench.

Last edited:

MonkeyMan22

Reaction score
LA radio was discussing a bucher article in which he was going to reiterate that kobe hadn't backed off his trade demands, and in fact, is more angered with the lakers than ever after playing with kidd for team usa.

maybe kobe is coming east by just one state and marion can be happy to be an ex-sun in LA. i'd give up marion, barbs, and the atl pick.

nash
bell
kobe
diaw
amare

grant hill
who cares

Lol! Unfortunately as much as I would love to give this lineup a try, it’s wishful thinking at the moment. But who knows? Certainly the ultimate expression of Coach D’s small/speed ball philosophy. Nash/STAT/Kobe would be a very difficult trio to guard defensively although our defense against bigger teams would suck unless we learn to play better team D. Even then it wouldn’t be great but I think that the philosophy of out scoring your opponents would actually be possible.

MM

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol! Unfortunately as much as I would love to give this lineup a try, it’s wishful thinking at the moment. But who knows? Certainly the ultimate expression of Coach D’s small/speed ball philosophy. Nash/STAT/Kobe would be a very difficult trio to guard defensively although our defense against bigger teams would suck unless we learn to play better team D. Even then it wouldn’t be great but I think that the philosophy of out scoring your opponents would actually be possible.

MM

i agree.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grant Hill didn't come here to be on the bench. If you are trading Marion you need to get a 4 back.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Grant Hill didn't come here to be on the bench. If you are trading Marion you need to get a 4 back.

Still, I'd run Nash-Kobe-Hill-Stoudemire and find a serviceable 4 or 5 in FA to round out the starters and use Bell as our 6th man. Even someone like Brian Skinner or Malik Allen if not PJ Brown. Another option would be to trade the TE from the KT trade for a Gadzuric or Etan Thomas....

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
We are not contending this year as this roster stands. This season - if we go in as equipped - will be merely another year of mental masturbation....

Even with the MEM trade, we are merely in contention, not a lock....

maybe that's because they are from memphis and memphis sucks?

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
Edit: Bucher is spreading a rumor about Artest to the Knicks, which has promptly been shut down already. What a tool.

KG to Boston WAS shut down. You never know.

I could care less. When I read your comment, thats just what I thought.

I want Marion gone also. Too much drama...knowatImen?

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
Still, I'd run Nash-Kobe-Hill-Stoudemire and find a serviceable 4 or 5 in FA to round out the starters and use Bell as our 6th man.

so you want kobe,nash,and hill to pass the ball back and forth to each other wondering who will create the play, because that's what they all do (among other things)? then maybe we can call a timeout, conference, and decide that we should pass it to amare afterall

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I think this board needs to realize there is negative zero chance LA would trade Kobe to Phoenix no matter how much he demanded it.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be honest I feel all we need is depth, and to keep our lineup together. Shawn is getting paid too much money to feel underappreciated, he's been named an AS 3 times, and is part of one of the best teams in the NBA with a great winning tradition.

If we can add a Skinner and either Ely or Croshere for depth purposes I would be content with our team.

Lineup

Stat/Skinner/Marks
Matrix/Ely/Skinner
Hill/Diaw/Tucker
Bell/Barbosa/Pike
Nash/Banks/Strawberry

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think this board needs to realize there is negative zero chance LA would trade Kobe to Phoenix no matter how much he demanded it.

True, because he's out of the Suns' price range. A month ago, it wasn't completely clear that the Suns had a firm budget that would dominate personnel decisions. Now it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

nash
bell
kobe
diaw
amare

grant hill
who cares

Giving up two star players and possibly a third for Kobe makes me want to vomit. I guess I could accept a trade involving Marion, the Atlanta pick and something else for Kobe but not LB.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
so you want kobe,nash,and hill to pass the ball back and forth to each other wondering who will create the play, because that's what they all do (among other things)? then maybe we can call a timeout, conference, and decide that we should pass it to amare afterall

Yeh because Nash, Kobe and Hill are all known for their notoriously low basketball IQ. You're right. Those ********* couldn't figure their way out of a wet paper bag....

:roll: