Done Deal ... CBA extended

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good news.

But the 12:01AM thing still bugs me. 12:01AM is the second minute of the day. :mad:

:mrgreen:

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
RedViper said:
Vote was 30 to 2. Buffalo and Cinci the two no's. Interesting.

Considering these are both small market team, I wonder what they didn't like.... I though the large market teams were the ones who were unhappy with the proposal.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As someone said on ESPN . There had to be a middle ground where the "haves "got hurt a little and the "have nots" did not get what they thought was fair.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
Free agency has not been set. Some teams are trying to push the start of free agency to next week. NFL network has said that no details have been given yet so i dont know where ESPN is getting these numbers at

BUT ANYWAY

GOOD DEAL :thumbup:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:|

We'll see if the Cards are able to step up and get some quality FA's

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Correction: $102 million salary cap this year, $109 million next year

Per Mortensen

gosh darn it. I just changed my cap spreadsheet.:mad:

OP
OP
Evil Ash

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Also from Mortensen that FA may be delayed until Saturday (NFL is trying to get in contact with Upshaw). Lets just hope that with the deal done they don't delay it any longer

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the auto industry and UAW paid attention to these negotiations. With this deal, everyone compromised and everyone wins. How hard was that?

seesred

Reaction score
This is great news for the game, our team and us fans. In the end they all woke up and started to smell the roses. Now lets get it on!

GBR

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't want to hear out of Cardinals land that this means other teams have more money and so we don't have as much of a chance to sign players. If we have THIS much money, I don't care if we have to pay Hutch or Bentley a 15 million dollar bonus THIS YEAR...get it done! We have the space, now USE IT WELL!!! Milford Brown? Depth only! If that's our splash, I hope they flush right after.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
As much as I am glad to hear this is extended, I would have loved to have rookie contracts addressed, but it seemed to fall out of sight because of revenue sharing issues.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
I don't want to hear out of Cardinals land that this means other teams have more money and so we don't have as much of a chance to sign players. If we have THIS much money, I don't care if we have to pay Hutch or Bentley a 15 million dollar bonus THIS YEAR...get it done! We have the space, now USE IT WELL!!! Milford Brown? Depth only! If that's our splash, I hope they flush right after.

They have the cap space but do they have the money to pay the bonus?

Stout

Reaction score
Duckjake said:
They have the cap space but do they have the money to pay the bonus?

They'd better. The team pumped the fans up for THIS offseason, not the next offseason. They better not have written a check they cannot cash here.

Edit: And yes, they most certainly have the money to pay the bonuses. If this whole messy CBA thing has taught me, it's that none of these owners, not even the whining Bidwills, hurt at all for money. They have the money.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really doubted they would be this reasonable this soon. I fully expected them to push it to the brink on this CBA. Glad I was wrong!

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
i think you guys are being a little pessimistic.... 2 years ago we pulled in Bert Berry through free agency. Last year we got Kurt Warner. This year we will get 1-2 starters. Relax, denny will do fine... We will pick up 1-2 starters in the draft. I think this year we will be what the bengals were last year

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
They'd better. The team pumped the fans up for THIS offseason, not the next offseason. They better not have written a check they cannot cash here.

Edit: And yes, they most certainly have the money to pay the bonuses. If this whole messy CBA thing has taught me, it's that none of these owners, not even the whining Bidwills, hurt at all for money. They have the money.

Do they? The Bidwill's major asset is the football team. I'm sure they have plenty of net worth outside of the franchise but how much of it is liquid?

How much would they need to offer in signing bonuses to sign the big name guys? 15 million? 20 million? Do they have that much cash? Unlike many other owners they don't have another business that cash flows multiple millions of dollars every month and they haven't been raking in the revenue from football operations because of SDS.

Bill Bidwill also doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would use a line of credit to pay signing bonuses though Mike might be. And it could be that MBidwill has instituted better cash management policies so that they have more available this year than in years past.

Anyway the next few weeks should answer the question for me.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Do they? The Bidwill's major asset is the football team. I'm sure they have plenty of net worth outside of the franchise but how much of it is liquid?

How much would they need to offer in signing bonuses to sign the big name guys? 15 million? 20 million? Do they have that much cash? Unlike many other owners they don't have another business that cash flows multiple millions of dollars every month and they haven't been raking in the revenue from football operations because of SDS.

Bill Bidwill also doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would use a line of credit to pay signing bonuses though Mike might be. And it could be that MBidwill has instituted better cash management policies so that they have more available this year than in years past.

Exactly. I honestly think this is the biggest point that most fans miss. They look at the health of the league and then see revenue sharing and go... well there is no reason for the bidwills to be cheap.. all the while not taking into account the horrible deal the cards have had with SDS. Sure 15 million profit sounds great but when you compare that to the rest of the league I'm sure it it chump change.

Now with that said.... It should no longer be an issue with the new revenue streams the team will have at it's disposal and if they don't take advantage... no one will care.

Stout

Reaction score
Duckjake said:

You scoff at the fact that the team may be their only source of income, while that NFL franchise gives them MORE than enough money to pay the bonuses that need paying. It was reported widely throughout this CBA that every team has more than enough money to work under the salary cap system, and that big teams would get irked that little teams would decide to keep the money rather than spend it. This issue you bring up is a total and complete non-issue.

Stout

Reaction score
War Birds said:
i think you guys are being a little pessimistic.... 2 years ago we pulled in Bert Berry through free agency. Last year we got Kurt Warner. This year we will get 1-2 starters. Relax, denny will do fine... We will pick up 1-2 starters in the draft. I think this year we will be what the bengals were last year

If we have 20 million plus in cap room, and all we do is bring in 1-2 starters, we've failed and been let down as fans. I mean, let's be realistic abou it here.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
You scoff at the fact that the team may be their only source of income, while that NFL franchise gives them MORE than enough money to pay the bonuses that need paying. It was reported widely throughout this CBA that every team has more than enough money to work under the salary cap system, and that big teams would get irked that little teams would decide to keep the money rather than spend it. This issue you bring up is a total and complete non-issue.

I am not talking about having the money to spend to the cap. That money can be spread out over the course of the year. I am talking about having current cash resources to pay signing bonuses which, unlike salaries, must be paid in full when the contract is signed.

Unless there is a cap on signing bonuses that I'm not aware of teams with larger cash reserves can offer free agents more up front money in the form of higher signing bonuses. The "little" teams have to compete by offering higher salaries.

Again I am not certain that this is the case with the Cardinals. It is just a theory based on reports that the team in the past was cash strapped every year until the TV money came in from the league in September. It was why, we were told, they had so many holdouts that suddenly ended in August or early Sept.

It could explain why they wait until late in the season to do their extensions. It could explain why they get more middle tier FA's who require smaller signing bonuses that must be paid in March and April. It could explain why the team favors contracts with higher salaries and lower bonuses although that could also be explained by their not wanting to give out too much guaranteed money.

Since we don't know the exact details of the Cardinals revenue stream neither of us knows for sure if what we say is correct.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
Stout said:

Yes every team has the money to spend for the cap, and this is EXACTLY what the Cards do every single year. Problem is what you want them to do is what the really good teams usually do which is OVERSPEND the cap 2-3 years and deal with the cap implications at a later date to win now.

What this means is when the cap is $85 million in a year the Cards spend $83-$85 million that year. The good teams meanwhile spend $105-$115 million that year and push off the cap hit to a later date but spend that $20-$30 million extra that year to field the best team possible.

Problem is with the revenue deal that was in place Bidwill got enough cash flow to spend the $83-$85 million but does not have the cash flow revenue OUTSIDE of the revenue sharing to spend that extra $20-$30 million to get the best product available.

Hopefully the new stadium, parking revenue, concession revenue, naming rights, signage, additional ticket sales, being a partial owner in westgate, etc will give Bidwill some additional revenue streams outside of the shared revenue to close some of the gap, maybe not to the $20-$30 million level but even an extra $10-$15 could make a HUGE difference I believe.