Dontrelle Willis Trade Rumor

Fishfan79

Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
I agree with SD Jay that Willis will be traded. Where there's smoke, there's fire. There is way too much talk surrounding a Willis trade and usually when this happens, it's inevitable before a deal is done. I'm not saying the Dbacks will get him, but someone will get his services. If we were to trade for him, I agree with fishfan that it would take more than Young and Montero. I honestly believe that we will have to part with 2 of our top-4, most likely Q and Young (Montero might have to go too). The Marlins fans here keep talking about the fact that they have too many prospects at certain positions and don't need more. The last I checked, you can never have too many prospects, especially ones that are in the top-25 of which we have 4. Once the Marlins decide they want to get back to the World Series, you will have to trade away some of these prospects to build a contending team. Saying you don't want a top-10 prospect in Q simply because you are loaded with OF prospects is rediculous

agreed you are right on that last point for the no more need for prospects. Q is a good prospect even if his numbers this year arent what I expected them to be so far. Young is coming around and producing better after his early injury.

I think if willis goes or not depends on the marlins plans. If they think they can compete by 2007-2008 then they keep him. If they think they cant till 2009 then the move him. There is no need to either way but really depends on when they feel they will be ready.

Worst to Worst I would rather give up a pitcher prospect to you all for one of your OF prospects. To balance out our two systems perhaps.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fishfan79 said:
Worst to Worst I would rather give up a pitcher prospect to you all for one of your OF prospects. To balance out our two systems perhaps.
Trading top prospects for prospects is extremely rare in baseball. Extremely.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Fishfan79 said:
3 way trade was made up by the NY media, has no legs at all as it fills none of our needs and duncan is crap.

No surprise. 90 percent of rumors are.

The david wright thing was when they called and asked how much and marlins said start with david wright

Well, at least they're aiming high. Then again, one thing that can be said about Beinifest as a GM is he usually does for good, young players.

Point of all this is the Marlins are, and SHOULD be asking for a high return for Willis. 24 year old year old, proven pitchers don't fall out of trees.

Fishfan79

Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
No surprise. 90 percent of rumors are.

Well, at least they're aiming high. Then again, one thing that can be said about Beinifest as a GM is he usually does for good, young players.

Point of all this is the Marlins are, and SHOULD be asking for a high return for Willis. 24 year old year old, proven pitchers don't fall out of trees.

agreed specially with the marketing ability of willis. His personality is one of those guys you cant help but like. He might be the, if not one of the, most charismatic players I have ever seen. He just comes off as the kid next door.

Not even to mention the fact he can reach into markets alot of players cant being the first black ace in 20+ years. And being a lefty too and leader of the team :)

Should be interesting. Either way I am rooting for you guys in the NL west this year.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
both stark and olney came out with articles this week stating they don't think willis will go, unless the offer is just ridiculous

btw - the marlins have won 18 of their last 24 :raccoon:

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
btw - the marlins have won 18 of their last 24 :raccoon:

Well then it is obvious then... The D'back's Front Office has traded their early mojo and a player to be named later for Willis.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
Well then it is obvious then... The D'back's Front Office has traded their early mojo and a player to be named later for Willis.

was there any HGH in that deal ... also, since this could be contrued as interstate commerce, would the federal government be called in to monitor all activities?

Fishfan79

Reaction score
chances of willis moving this year seem to be slim to none. They are getting close to a stadium deal, expect one soon and if they move him right when they get the deal it might kill the pressure and desire for it to happen.

trading the name/face of the franchise nationally and the heart of it when having won 9/10 and having the best era and record for the past month now wouldnt be looked at kindly :)

still if he moves I expect arizona, LAD, LAA or TB.

I would rather just trade a prospect pitcher and another young pitcher (like mitre) for Chris Young :)

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade talk

Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes is exploring trade opportunities to bring another starting pitcher aboard.

Arizona would love to acquire Florida's Dontrelle Willis, but the Marlins' asking price may be too high.

A deal likely would include some of Arizona's top prospects, such as catcher Miguel Montero, outfielder Carlos Gonzalez and pitchers Dustin Nippert and Garrett Mock.

"Josh and his staff have their ears to the ground," Diamondbacks General Partner Jeff Moorad said Monday.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0627dbmain0627.html

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ruff N Tuff said:
I would actually do that trade since it doesnt include Quentin and Young.

Considering both Mock and Nippert are struggling I could live with that trade and hopefully sign Mulder and possibly Zito in the offseason. Imagine a rotation of Willis, Mulder, Zito and Webb and possibly Owings, siiiiick.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Wagner of the Mets making some pretty open comments about trading for Willis
"You can't think long-term when you are about winning it now," Wagner said. "If you get Dontrelle Willis, it says you are about winning now. It is not about tomorrow. It is all about today."

"You are talking about a 24-year-old proven ace (Willis) who can lead a staff. What would you give up today for that? Are you willing to give up Pelfrey or Milledge? It's a tough decision, but I'm 35 and it's hard to wait."
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/wags_would_mortgage_future__but_will_omar__mets_joel_sherman.htm

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Billy Wagner, what a jackass. How do you openly suggest trading one of your teammates? No wonder the Phillies clubhouse despised the guy.

what a joke, is he even that good this year.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Billy Wagner, what a jackass. How do you openly suggest trading one of your teammates? No wonder the Phillies clubhouse despised the guy.
I don't see what you are getting all worked up about. He's not suggesting they trade Pelfrey or Milledge so much as he's suggesting they should consider trading for Willis. If the Mets were to call about Willis the Marlins would want Pelfrey or Milledge.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These days, Minaya is wise enough to say, "even when you are in first place [by 12 games] you want to act, but what is the price?"

He will, in other words, not use Lastings Milledge or Mike Pelfrey for a quick fix. Only Dontrelle Willis, just 24 and years from free agency, would entice him to consider moving either. And it would probably take both just to get Florida's attention. The Marlins seem intent on retaining their most recognizable player in hopes of securing a new stadium and, even if they put Willis on the market, they have indicated the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Tigers are the teams with the best matches.

Unless, that is, the Mets would pair up Pelfrey (who technically is not eligible to be dealt until a year from signing his first pro contract, which is January 2007) and Milledge or the Yanks would combine Robinson Cano and Philip Hughes.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/power_plays_sports_joel_sherman.htm

Fishfan79

Reaction score
I dont think he is getting moved, because of the pressure baseball is putting on the fish to get a stadium deal and willis is the biggest name draw honestly. Even more so then Miggy (because he just is more personable and charismatic to most americans).

But, if willis were to be traded i would expect him going to the dbacks in a trade. It would need to be a CF prospect back though as that is our only major hole after the draft (we drafted 2 great top catching prospects to play after olivo is gone).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05