Dontrelle Willis Trade Rumor

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
It is amazing how we are discussing trading Upton, Drew and Quentin for Willis. I say we develop our talent and look around in FA. I have a good feeling we will get Mulder in the offseason. Does anyone else feel 3-4 top 50 prospects is asking for the moon for 1 guy who is really struggling this year. We already got burned once by Florida with the Mantei trade. Penny, Nunez's, and someone else for a up and coming guy that fizzled.
I dont think it will be 3. I see it being two of Quentin/Young/Drew/Montero.

And like I said earlier over his last 3 starts Willis has an era under 2 and He only had a rought stretch of 3 starts in a row where his defense let him down. If you remove those 3 starts his ERA for the year is under 3.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
It is amazing how we are discussing trading Upton, Drew .
I think any scenario involving Drew or Upton is wishful thinking on the part of the Marlins.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Ruff N Tuff said:
I dont think it will be 3. I see it being two of Quentin/Young/Drew/Montero.

And like I said earlier over his last 3 starts Willis has an era under 2 and He only had a rought stretch of 3 starts in a row where his defense let him down. If you remove those 3 starts his ERA for the year is under 3.

The Marlins have said it will take 3

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The surprise Diamondbacks might be best-positioned (no pun intended) to get Willis. They have Stephen Drew, Justin Upton, Carlos Quentin and two more position players among Baseball America's top 32 prospects.

Maybe I'm overrating the unknown, but the second Drew or Upton was asked for would be the second I reply with a "Thanks But No Thanks" and hang up the phone. I know Willis is only 24, and he's already a proven commodity, but giving up several of baseball's top prospects for him is considerable overkill. I'd rather wait until the off-season and go after Mulder rather than blowing the stash now.

I honestly think a package with Young and Montero as the main points is both reasonable and helpful for the Marlins. They really have little use for another SS (Drew) with Hanley Ramirez being as good as advertised thus far, and being only 23, and at this point the Diamondbacks have no reason to trade him, regardless of the price. Upton also should be an untouchable. As for Q, he's more suited for a CI position, and again the Marlins appear set with Jeremy Hermida and Josh Willingham.

Again, a deal of Young-Montero and others seems like a win-win for the Marlins.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
Maybe I'm overrating the unknown, but the second Drew or Upton was asked for would be the second I reply with a "Thanks But No Thanks" and hang up the phone. I know Willis is only 24, and he's already a proven commodity, but giving up several of baseball's top prospects for him is considerable overkill. I'd rather wait until the off-season and go after Mulder rather than blowing the stash now.

I honestly think a package with Young and Montero as the main points is both reasonable and helpful for the Marlins. They really have little use for another SS (Drew) with Hanley Ramirez being as good as advertised thus far, and being only 23, and at this point the Diamondbacks have no reason to trade him, regardless of the price. Upton also should be an untouchable. As for Q, he's more suited for a CI position, and again the Marlins appear set with Jeremy Hermida and Josh Willingham.

Again, a deal of Young-Montero and others seems like a win-win for the Marlins.

I'm starting to feel the same way. If they ask for Upton, Byrnes should simply hang up the phone. Drew would be especially hard to part with as well. We're not bringing up the fact that a deal for Willis would have to involve Q as well....

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
CrocHunter said:
lol, his name is fishfan79 over there.... whats your name MO?

heh - been a cloudy week up here in MN (had to fly in for a wedding.........)

I go by PhxPhin over there

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marlins are in dire need of a closer...Probably more than any other teams in the ML...... I wonder if they would be willing to accept either Julio (which I posted in another thread) or perhaps Valverde in some package involving one of the uber propsects along with a mid-tier one..... Would the Marlins be inclined to include more than just Willis in the deal?

The Marlins not only have highly-touted Hermida, but other solid OF prospects such as Eric Reed and Chris Aguila.... Isnt it ironic that Abercrombie (the same one who the Dbacks acquired in the Finley trade from the Dodgers) who being highly regarded, however, he still has the worst K/BB ratio in all of baseball (which is why he never has lasted)...... The Marlins have a surplus of OFs which is why they would obviously demand Drew or Upton (who some still view as a solid mid-IF prospect) over the likes of Carlos Quentin and Chris Young....

I wonder if the Marlins would be willing to accept an offer including Jerry Gil, James D'Antona (who could play 3B which would free-up Cabrera to return back to the OF) along with Julio(or Valverde) along with Montero (which they might decide to trade him or Willingham)......

So many possible scenarios.. but at this time Drew and Upton are obviously un-touchables and Young and Carlos dont fulfill any major needs for the Marlins, but perhaps a deal involving what I propse might suffice...

Last edited:

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
KLL said:
Marlins are in dire need of closer...Probably more than any other teams in the ML...... I wonder if they would be willing to accept either Julio (which I posted in another thread) or perhaps Valverde in some package involving one of the uber propsects along with a mid-tier one..... Would the Marlins be inclined to include more than just Willis in the deal?

The Marlins not only have highly-touted Hermida, but other solid OF prospects such as Eric Reed and Chris Aguila.... Isnt it ironic that Abercrombie (the same one who the Dbacks acquired in the Finley trade from the Dodgers) who being highly regarded, however, he still has the worst K/BB ratio in all of baseball (which is why he never has lasted)...... The Marlins have a surplus of OFs which is why they would obviously demand Drew or Upton (who some still view as a solid mid-IF prospect) over the likes of Carlos Quentin and Chris Young....

I wonder if the Marlins would be willing to accept an offer including Jerry Gil, James D'Antona (who could play 3B which would free-up Cabrera to return back to the OF) along with Julio(or Valverde) along with Montero (which they might decide to trade him or Willingham)......

So many possible scenarios.. but at this time Drew and Upton are obviously un-touchables and Young and Carlos dont fulfill any major needs for the Marlins, but perhaps a deal involving what I propse might suffice...
I read that the Marlins might move Annibal Sanchez who they got from the Red Sox from starting and make him the closer and they also got a guy named Tankersley in AA that reminded me of BJ Ryan when I saw him in the AFL. Also Willingham is a versatile player who can play LF and 1b and the guys your talking about in Chris Aguila and Eric Reed are nothing more than AAAA players.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I would not trade Upton or Drew for willis either and I'm confident our GM agrees.....

I think a Montero, Quentin, small time prospect trade would get this deal done.

If not, as much as i love D-train, I would'nt make that deal......

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I would not trade Upton or Drew for willis either and I'm confident our GM agrees.....

I think a Montero, Quentin, small time prospect trade would get this deal done.

If not, as much as i love D-train, I would'nt make that deal......
I agree maybe a package of Montero, Quentin, Torra (?)

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if the Diamondbacks have to give up at least two major prospects, I say no. Let's give some young guys like Nippert a shot instead.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ruff N Tuff said:
I agree maybe a package of Montero, Quentin, Torra (?)

I'd do that trade, Montero is going to be blocked by Estrada for atleast 1 more season and possibly beyond.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
IMO you only trade the farm for a player like Willis if you think he's the last piece that's gonna get you to the series.

We currently have ONE good starter and a suspect bullpen.

Fishfan79

Reaction score
KLL said:
Marlins are in dire need of a closer...Probably more than any other teams in the ML...... I wonder if they would be willing to accept either Julio (which I posted in another thread) or perhaps Valverde in some package involving one of the uber propsects along with a mid-tier one..... Would the Marlins be inclined to include more than just Willis in the deal?

We have 4-5 closer prospects in the minors and more pitching down there then we know what to do with. Julio we turned down in trade a few times from the O's he isnt a piece we would value worthy anything close to what Arizona would honestly.

D'Antona wouldnt work as we have Kris Harvey for a young 3B prospect for the future, we have our corner outfielders for the Future to honestly with Willingham and Hermida (number 2 prospect in baseball).

Catcher and CF are our only two "holes" honestly. But they would want an elite top 20 prospect and to fill those holes is their goal. We dont need pitching, we have over 10 pitchers that are rated to be 1,2 or 3 type starters.

Willis isnt a priority to move, he isnt in a contract year (2009), we dont need to drop salary (50-60 million profit), not like nobody else would want him (there is about 10 teams asking weekly), even long term he has stated many times he wants to be a marlin for life.

I think the main reason for him going to the dbacks is just matching up best, along with dodgers and Angels.

I personally dont know the dbacks plans for Upton and drew, 2 top SS prospects though isnt that a waste?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Fishfan79 said:
I personally dont know the dbacks plans for Upton and drew, 2 top SS prospects though isnt that a waste?

We moved Upton to CF for that reason. The organization feels that his skills are best suited for that position. There is no way the front office parts with either Upton or Drew. We would however be willing to send Young, Montero and another mid-level prospect if thats what it takes. Young after all is pretty much major league ready, and Montero probably a year away. Also, Young is a top CF prospect that came to us from the White Sox in the Vasquez trade this summer, so he is no slouch. I would love for this deal to get done somehow.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Young after all is pretty much major league ready, and Montero probably a year away. Also, Young is a top CF prospect that came to us from the White Sox in the Vasquez trade this summer, so he is no slouch. I would love for this deal to get done somehow.

I disagree that Young is MLB ready. I believe he is a top 20-30 prospect in all of baseball but until he learns some discipline at the plate, he won't be ready. His K/BB ration is not good at all and will cause him major problems at the next level. If he were to be traded to the Marlins he would prob get a shot right away but only because they are in immediate need for a CF.

CrocHunter

Reaction score
KLL said:

First of all Carlos Martinez is the Marlins closer for the future, he will be back sometime this week(I think I heard)

Secondly, outside of Jeremy Hermida and Kris Harvey in A Ball, the Marlins have NO outfield prospects at all. Eric Reed and Chris Aguila are absolute garbage

Fishfan79

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
My final trade proposal would be Young, Julio, and Montero. Take it or leave it Marlins.

you would hear click honestly

willis in his last 4 games is 30 innings pitches (over 7 per game average) 2 CGs, 9 earned runs, 5 errors behind him in the games 1-2 record and whip around 1.10

pretty solid, take away his 3 bad starts where he got killed by errors and poor defense he has an era around 2.

Not as good as webb is this year, but pretty dang good.

We are set with closersfor the future we have 4 in our system we like alot. I dont know if we trade willis, I would bet no honestly. But, they wont unless hugely overpaid, which I hope for the dbacks sake they wont do. I love what your team has been building up.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
According to Newsday (immediately meaning, take this with a grain of salt), the Snakes are "far and away ahead of everyone else," or so says one GM. However, the report also states the team wants to keep Drew, Upton, Quentin and Young out of talks. It also claimed a combination of Young and Double-A catcher Miguel Montero might do it. We'll see.

Some of these rumors are getting rediculous, however two more that have made rounds...

One has him going to the Mets for David Wright, the other has a three-way with the Phillies and Yanks where the Phils get Willis, the Yankees get Pat Burrell and the Fish get Cole Hammels, Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes from those teams.

More Willis-Rumors:

-- The Fish just shot down a Curtis Granderson/Justin Verlander for Willis offer.

-- The Pirates have expressed interest (sure, so have the Royals.. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen)

-- Craziest of them all, one that ACTUALLY makes sense on both team's standpoint would have a straight swap with Tampa Bay for Carl Crawford.

All this crap leads me to believe something is going to happen, it's just a matter of what and with who.

Last edited:

Fishfan79

Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
According to Newsday (immediately meaning, take this with a grain of salt), the Snakes are "far and away ahead of everyone else," or so says one GM. However, the report also states the team wants to keep Drew, Upton, Quentin and Young out of talks. It also claimed a combination of Young and Double-A catcher Miguel Montero might do it. We'll see.

Some of these rumors are getting rediculous, however two more that have made rounds...

One has him going to the Mets for David Wright, the other has a three-way with the Phillies and Yanks where the Phils get Willis, the Yankees get Pat Burrell and the Fish get Cole Hammels, Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes from those teams.

More Willis-Rumors:

-- The Fish just shot down a Curtis Granderson/Justin Verlander for Willis offer.

-- The Pirates have expressed interest (sure, so have the Royals.. Doesn't mean it's gonna happen)

-- Craziest of them all, one that ACTUALLY makes sense on both team's standpoint would have a straight swap with Tampa Bay for Carl Crawford.

All this crap leads me to believe something is going to happen, it's just a matter of what and with who.

3 way trade was made up by the NY media, has no legs at all as it fills none of our needs and duncan is crap

The david wright thing was when they called and asked how much and marlins said start with david wright

The detriot thing has been reported for a while now. But it is used often to show much they want for him.

crawford wouldnt be enough for Willis, his value is higher then crawfords is at this point in their career. The marlins would want more and different prospects.

Monero and Young arent enough for the fish it has been reported in more then a few places.

also agreed the pirates and everyone else keeps calling, milwaukee was another popular one lol, besides prince fielder and braun they have nothing to give though.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/64674.htm

there is the post one pretty much states it is next to impossible to get willis.

honestly I dont see it happening for anyone this year, we dont need to trade him, and we are starting to make a run. If we make a run and get back to 500 ball (won 9 of 11 and just swept the rockies), then we will be looking to lock up next year as a competing year perhaps already instead of 2 years down the road.

just my own two cents, I just dont see a reason for the fish to make the trade. Plus they can get better for willis then young + Monero if they put him on the auction block, you know someone will mortage the farm for him.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with SD Jay that Willis will be traded. Where there's smoke, there's fire. There is way too much talk surrounding a Willis trade and usually when this happens, it's inevitable before a deal is done. I'm not saying the Dbacks will get him, but someone will get his services. If we were to trade for him, I agree with fishfan that it would take more than Young and Montero. I honestly believe that we will have to part with 2 of our top-4, most likely Q and Young (Montero might have to go too). The Marlins fans here keep talking about the fact that they have too many prospects at certain positions and don't need more. The last I checked, you can never have too many prospects, especially ones that are in the top-25 of which we have 4. Once the Marlins decide they want to get back to the World Series, you will have to trade away some of these prospects to build a contending team. Saying you don't want a top-10 prospect in Q simply because you are loaded with OF prospects is rediculous

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
all i'm saying is that they don't have to move willis - but with the latest round of tradings, it put the proverbial blood in the water

lefthanded pitchers are a nice commodity so teams are dropping in their lines and trying to get everything stirred up

i really don't think dontrelle will be traded this year - but we'll see how everyone stands closer to the deadline

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05