Draft Prospects thread

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://nbadrafter.tripod.com/sunsblueprint.htm

There have been questions about Big Baby Glen Davis' weight.
He's worked out in Philly and New Jersey, and team sources say he came in just a hair under 300 pounds (298, to be exact).
But he has a couple of factors in his favor.

One, he measured out at a decent height. Some predicted he could be as short as 6-6 in socks. Instead he measured 6-7¾ in socks, meaning he's 6-9 in shoes.

Second, Davis also recorded a body fat of less than 12 percent. That's actually not too bad, given his size.

Said one NBA scout, "He is not fat like Rodney Rogers or Tractor Traylor, but just big. He should have played D-line on the football team."

Nobody sees him being more than a mid second rounder and it seems unlikely that a team that lived through O Miller would take another. But if he drops far enough, he's another big guy who can keep opponents out of the paint and unlike Chris Richard can score.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More on Stuckey

Stuckey has had one workout, with the Sonics, and has not had much buzz despite mid teens rankings. But this caught my eye:

http://www.denverpost.com

Teams over the salary cap would need to work a major and tough sign-and-trade deal to land Billups. But don't expect Detroit to listen to such offers and don't be surprised if they draft a point guard, like Eastern Washington's Billups- like Rodney Stuckey, to take the load off Billups' weary legs.

The Detroit rumor seems to have legs, but Stuckey's agent denies it.

http://www.freep.com

PISTONS/NBA TICKER: Is Stuckey the Pistons' draft target?

June 10, 2007
According to draftexpress.com, one NBA team is saying that Eastern Washington combo guard Rodney Stuckey claims he has been guaranteed by the Pistons that they'll draft him with the 15th pick in this month's draft if he's available.
But Aaron Goodwin, Stuckey's agent, denies it.

You must be registered for see images
"This rumor was started and perpetuated by other agents," he said. NBAdraft.net doesn't buy it, either. Its latest mock draft has the Pistons picking Colorado State 7-footer Jason Smith at No. 15 (with Stuckey still on the board), then UCLA guard Arron Afflalo at No. 27 and Virginia point guard Sean Singletary at No. 57.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why many draft sites seem intrigued by the Suns taking Marco Belinelli? Could it be he just seems like he is a Suns type player or is there information that would lead to this type thinking. I'm thinking the Suns would want a swing type player (if they go this direction) that can drive to the basket and defend besides just shooting from outside. These mock draft sites are driving me crazy because many players outside of perhaps 1-15 are all over the board. This is probably good for the Suns because some talented players may likely slide.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Belinelli will probably drop out of the first round.

Crittenton could really be a guy that the Suns want badly. 6'5 backup PG would be simply perfect next to Barbosa.

They seemed to be raving about him today "Baron Davis type" PG etc..

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belinelli will probably drop out of the first round.

Crittenton could really be a guy that the Suns want badly. 6'5 backup PG would be simply perfect next to Barbosa.

They seemed to be raving about him today "Baron Davis type" PG etc..

This seems the direction I might want the Suns to go. But then others say only Conley and Law are top PG candidates. Then others talk about Pruitt, Taurean Green, Jordan, Sessions and even have Brooks in the first round. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of who the best PG's are in the draft or much of anyone after about #15.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i only saw crittendon play a couple of games and he was very raw, but he also very much impressed me. one of the games he handed out 10 assists and was setting the table nicely. very nice athleticism and you can't coach long. he's long.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This seems the direction I might want the Suns to go. But then others say only Conley and Law are top PG candidates. Then others talk about Pruitt, Taurean Green, Jordan, Sessions and even have Brooks in the first round. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of who the best PG's are in the draft or much of anyone after about #15.

If anything, Draft Express has been almost absurd in how massive the moves they do on guys each day.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Also Brendan Wright is shying away from workouts against other prospects. He is only working out alone for teams.
The word bust is starting to stick to him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's happened to Tomic? One day he's listed as a first round prospect and another day he is not even listed on sites like NBADraft net.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/06/12/SPG55QDQ7E1.DTL

NBA DRAFT: China’s star-in-waiting
Next Big Thing to hit pro game?
Yi Jianlian rated 3rd-best prospect
Janny Hu, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

(06-12) 04:00 PDT Los Angeles -- His country has long held an allure fueled by secrecy and curiosity, so it is no surprise that the biggest mystery of the NBA draft is working out in the shadow of a floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall divider.

Yi Jianlian, a 7-foot standout from China, has globe-trotted his way onto UCLA's campus and into its men's gymnasium, where he is deep into shooting drills. His father watches approvingly from the sidelines, his mother from a fold-up chair underneath the basket.

A group of local college players drowns out the scene with their pick-up game on the other side of the screen, but they can only dream of causing the commotion Yi has this month.

Some NBA insiders have the young Chinese star rated as high as the third-best prospect in the draft and a consensus lottery pick with his combination of athleticism and size. The 248-pounder boasts a 7-foot-4 wingspan and his name appropriately means "building together" in Chinese.

Relations between the NBA and China are at an all-time high following Yao Ming's selection as the No. 1 pick five years ago and Yi's impending arrival. The Chinese National Team will play as an entry in the Las Vegas summer league next month; the Cleveland Cavaliers and Orlando Magic are scheduled for a pair of exhibition games in China this fall, and the entire world will descend upon the capital city of Beijing for the 2008 Olympics.

While the 7-5 Yao is undeniably China's biggest sports star, Yi has been billed as its Next Big Thing. He is already a celebrity back home -- sort of the hip-hop yang to Yao's old-school yin -- and insists he is unfazed as he prepares to make the transition to the NBA.

"There is no reason to be nervous," Yi says in Mandarin. "I know what I've been learning, what I've been working on. How hard (the jump is) depends on yourself. I think if you work hard enough, you'll be fine."

Impulse says to compare Yi to Yao, but their games and personalities are entirely different. Yao is a traditional post-up center with range who is perfectly suited for a half-court offense. Yi is more of a slasher and shooter, fit for an up-tempo system like Golden State's or Phoenix's.

Watch Yi shoot around and several things jump out: He has soft touch, a high release point and overall fluid mechanics. He is lanky, but not rail-thin, and gets good lift from his legs. Like most foreign players, his upper body needs work, and that has been the focus of his strength and conditioning program since he arrived two months ago.

While Yao took several years to adjust to the American lifestyle, Yi's acculturation has been quick. Home for now is a luxury apartment near UCLA a few doors down from his parents, Yi Jingliu and Mai Meiling -- former handball players turned postal workers -- who will remain in town through the draft.

In between daily workouts and English lessons, Yi has found time to walk the red carpet at several movie premieres and go out with friends. His English is impressive for someone who has been in the U.S. less than two months, as evidenced by his basketball self-analysis.

"My game is power forward," Yi says in English. "I guess I'm tall, but I can run and get down and shoot the ball and sometimes post inside. I'm working on post moves. I'm getting stronger."

He has spent much of the last seven weeks working out at the Home Depot Center under the supervision of trainer Joe Abunassar, who counts Warriors' Al Harrington and Baron Davis among his clientele. Abunassar says Yi's numbers in the traditional vertical leap, three-quarter-court sprint and lane agility drills are eye-popping.

"Usually the stronger a guy is, the less flexible he is. That's not the case with Yi," Abunassar said from Las Vegas. "His numbers for a guy his size are at the top of the charts I've seen in 13 years. He runs as well as some guards, most guards, I should say."

That does not surprise Del Harris, the 30-year NBA veteran who was hired to coach the Chinese National Team prior to the 2004 Olympics and witnessed its improved skill level. Harris says his first task was simply getting players to run properly and reshape their bodies.

But not Yi.

"Here was this young, 7-foot kid that could literally fly," Harris said in a phone interview from Dallas. "This guy could run and jump. We didn't have to teach him. His jumping made sense. And then he had this soft touch from 15 or 17 feet."

Harris raised plenty of eyebrows when he put the Chinese Basketball Association's Rookie of the Year in 2002-03 on the national team roster and then into the starting lineup alongside Yao. But Yi went on to lead his team to three straight championships and averaged 24.9 points, 11.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in his recently completed fourth season with the Guangdong Tigers.

How will those numbers hold up in the NBA, and for whom?

Yi worked out for Boston, Atlanta and Chicago in Los Angeles last week and the Kings will be in town Wednesday. Warriors special assistant Mitch Richmond saw Yi practice during a session for Chinese media, and a larger contingent from Golden State could be on its way should the Warriors explore the possibility of trading up.

His agent, Dan Fegan, is largely keeping Yi under wraps. Yi was held out of the physicals portion of the predraft camp in Orlando and is only working out for selected teams. After all, nobody wants a repeat of the Darko Milicic story, where the No. 2 pick languished for two-plus years on the Pistons' bench before being traded to Orlando.

As with most many foreign players, there are also club-based complications from contract buyouts to players choosing to remain overseas, and in the case of China, government tie-ins.

When Wang Zhizhi, the first Chinese player in the NBA, defied the Chinese Basketball Association by refusing to report home for national team duties in 2002, it complicated negotiations for Yao's departure that same summer.

"There's a risk," Fegan said of Yi not being released by the government. "But my sense of it is that the teams are going to get a very clear sense before the draft."

In a world where Nike's swoosh is more ubiquitous than Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods combined, there is naturally consideration beyond basketball.

China, with its population in the billions, is a marketers' dream, as is fielding a Chinese star in a densely Asian-populated region like Los Angeles or the Bay Area.

Golden State, in fact, offered refuge to Wang during his brief rebellion five years ago. The former NBA center Wang, citing a desire to improve his skills against better competition, ignored letters to return to China following his second season with the Mavericks and latched onto the Warriors' summer league team. He played for the Clippers and Heat before eventually being allowed back onto the Chinese national team.

Yi currently has his own controversy, though it will not create any tension. He is officially listed as 19 years old, but his true age remains a mystery. His birth year has ranged from October of 1984 to 1987 on documents and stands at the latter.

He has been compared to some impressive European big men, from Dirk Nowitzki to Pau Gasol to the retired Toni Kukoc. He is also bound to be compared to Nikoloz Tskitishvili, the onetime No. 5 pick who turned out to be a bust for the Nuggets and every other team he latched onto, including the Warriors.

To Yi, the transition is about growth. He used to follow athletes like Michael Jordan religiously. Now that he plays, he has a different focus.

"When I watch a game, it's not so much who I like or who I don't like," Yi said. "It's watching the team, watching how they play, and seeing what I can learn from that."

And what the Chinese can learn as a whole. An official from Yi's Guangdong club said that on average, each of the 16 CBA teams has two foreign players, and most of those are from the United States. The mix of talent has helped increase the level of competition.

So far, the four players to come from China have all been big men. That could change next season with swingman Sun Yue among the draft hopefuls. Though Yue is 6-8, he is one of China's better ballhandlers and showed flashes the Orlando pre-draft camp.

"The impact of Wang and Yao and Mengke Bateer -- it's the Great Wall, the three of them -- they definitely had an influence on the players that are now 20 years old and younger," Harris says.

"Kids that were 12, 14, 15 back six, seven years ago had more incentive for working hard and watching NBA games to see the skill level and imitate some of the things."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Next Generation

Wingspan: 7-foot-4

Nickname: Next Generation

Current residence: Westwood

Playing style: Shoot or slash

'06-07 team: Guangdong Tigers

'06-07 stats: 24.9 ppg, 11.5 rpg

Honors: '02-'03 Rookie of the Year in top Chinese league; starter in 2004 Olympics

First of all, I didn't know he was 248lbs! I thought he was around 220 judging on his pics, but 248 is a much better base to start with. I wouldn't be upset with him at #5 (if that BOS trade happens). I would still rank Horford higher, but I would take Yi and Gerald Green to replace Marion....

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would want to see Yi play against physical defenders before I'd get interested.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=44

March 28, 2007
Yi Jianlian, who might be playing his last games in the Chinese CBA, facing Bayi in the Finals. He could leave his country with a bitter feeling, though, as the series don’t look good for Guangdong; they currently trail 1-3 in a seven-game format.

Despite arguably being a more talented team, Guangdong is not getting the job done. They have always started ahead in the score, but suffering from poor playmaking (Bayi’s point Wang Zhongguang has literally killed his opponents in the last two games), the more veteran team Bayi has successfully slowed down the games to execute its half court offense, using the low post very well to generate spaces and good shots, while showing more poise with the games on the line. Actually, the only victory for Guangdong came in the second game, when they just outran their rival with a frenzied transition game, which ultimately resulted in a blowout win.

Yi Jianlian in particular is having some troubles against Bayi’s excellent frontcourt (for Chinese standards). He has been battling mainly against Wang Zhizhi and Mo Ke, both members of the Chinese National Team and both long, mobile and skilled guys. Yi is especially suffering scoring near the basket when he isn’t able to use his right-handed jump-hook from short distances (which is by the way looking pretty nice, with an excellent high release). He’s finding less space in the lane and more intimidation than usual, so he can’t operate as comfortably and his teammates don’t find him as easily. Simply put, he can’t just score over his rivals at will.

You must be registered for see images attach

Still, Yi has delivered a bit of everything regarding his offensive game. He has again shown his solid mid-range stroke, useful out to 20 feet, but still very inconsistent from the three-point line (1/6 in this series). He has also attacked his match-ups off the dribble with both hands and decent handles, also exposing severe limitations to finish with his left, just as it happens when he plays from the post. Indeed, we haven’t seen much of his turnaround shot off the post, actually missing the very few times he put it on display. Anyway, he never found the rhythm to heat up from the field, and couldn’t lead his team with the games on the line; he couldn’t become a real go-to player.

On defense it was a bit of the same story. It’s not that Wang Zhizhi has exaggeratedly dominated him, but Yi has suffered trying to stop him. Still far from being a really physical defender (as we have stated before, he needs to use his body better and be more aggressive), Wang has been able to rely on his pure skills to outscore him. Besides, this time his frontcourt teammate Jason Dixon has not been as effective as in the semifinals, as his limited size doesn’t match well with Wang’s height and wingspan.

Yi has averaged 20.4 points and 9.5 rebounds in these four games, which might look good at first sight, but is a bit disappointing when we consider that he has needed almost 43 minutes per game to achieve these numbers. Where he gets picked on draft night will greatly depend on who falls in love with his potential. He will need a big adjustment in his defensive game from what he’s displaying in the CBA to what will be required in the NBA. Still, he seems a smart kid, and if he puts enough effort, he shouldn’t have troubles in the long run. Offensively, he will start as a pure role player, which should make things easier for him.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He has Michael Jordan status in China, he will be more of a marketing diamond than Yao unless he is a bust, hard to pass on him I think.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
LOGAN, Utah -- Utah State's Jaycee Carroll, 10th in scoring last season at 21.3 points per game, said he will enter the NBA draft but also retain the right to withdraw by June 18 and return for his senior season.

Coach Stew Morrill said the "wise decision" would be to return to Utah State unless Carroll is guaranteed to be a first-round pick on June 28.

"I think it is important for the development of my game to see how I compare against the best collegiate basketball players in the country," Carroll said in a statement released by the school Monday.

He will not hire an agent, which means he can withdraw his name from the draft.

NBA teams will evaluate players at a camp, May 29-June 4, in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Carroll, a guard from Evanston, Wyo., was the leading scorer last season in the Western Athletic Conference.

"Our coaching staff understands and supports Jaycee on his decision to explore the NBA," Morrill said.
I doubt he gets drafted but Jaycee Caroll is an interesting prospect. Jaycee scored a season high 44 points against the NMSUAggies. He’s not your typical point guard but he can score in bunches.
06-07
PPG 21.6
APG 1.8 wtf?
RPG 6.3
3 P% .432

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think that he will. One bad day in camp doesn't destroy your 1st round status if you had a solid season in a strong european team and you are a good prospect.
What bad day was this? Who did he try out for?

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think that he will. One bad day in camp doesn't destroy your 1st round status if you had a solid season in a strong european team and you are a good prospect.

There's a lot of "read between the lines" stuff.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=198&page=playerblog

June 11, 2007
Considering that this was his last day here before flying out to workout for the Washington Wizards on the 12th, we made sure to pay extra attention to the exploits of the highest rated 2007 draft prospect at the camp. The end conclusion was that he certainly seemed to play better than he had the day before, even if it still didn’t seem like he really wanted to be here from his body language.

Belinelli made much more of an effort to attack the basket by putting the ball on the floor, drawing eight fouls for his effort as well as picking up 5 turnovers in the process. He showed a very nice first step and decent ball-handling skills, dunking the ball emphatically in transition (reminding us of his excellent athleticism), and also causing some foolish turnovers.

He mixed in his shooting touch quite a bit on the way, shaking his man violently and executing some very complex off the dribble fade away moves, contorting his body exaggeratively to make things probably more complicated than he needed them to be. His stroke is a thing of beauty when he decides to set his feet and follow through on the simple catch and shoot, as he did quite nicely on one opportunity when left wide open. In the NBA 3-point shooting drills Belinelli wasn’t quite as good as you may have thought, going 3/10 on the first series and then 7/10 on the next.

All in all, this probably wasn’t the kind of camp Belinelli needed to really push his stock higher than it was coming in here. He’s a solid player, but pulling out of the draft and working on having a much better year next season (both individually and team-wise) doesn’t sound like that bad of an idea anymore.
You must be registered for see images
[Read Full Article]

Euroleague Prospects (Part 3, Stock Down)
February 22, 2007
After an impressive game against the United States in the World Championship in Japan, Marco Belinelli’s stock took a bit of a hit in the Euroleague season. He’s come down to earth a bit as defenses have keyed on him much more intensively, struggling with his shot during a good part of the campaign and showing a pretty one dimensional offensive game. Belinelli has been very reluctant to drive to the basket, instead settling mostly for tough, long range jumpers that didn’t fall at any kind of consistent clip. The fact that he can get his shot off against any kind of opposition might have a lot to do with Belinelli’s lack of aggressiveness when speaking about slashing game. Marco is a jump-shooter in the truest sense, possessing beautiful form on his shot and being able to knock down 3-pointers from almost anywhere on the floor. Whether coming off a screen, shooting off the dribble or simply elevating over an opponent for a fade-away shot, Belinelli shows a high release point, deep range and exceptional touch.

Even if he relies too heavily on his shot to produce points, Marco shows flashes of possessing a solid all-around offensive game. The problem is that he hasn’t shown the willingness to put it all together just yet. He has a good first step and nice athleticism, and is a solid ball-handler with pretty good court vision. Often you got the feel that Marco doesn’t make full use of his abilities and could do so much more on the court, instead of just settling for 3’s from the perimeter. His defensive effort is also above average when he decides to apply himself, using his decent lateral quickness and long arms to disrupt opponents and deny dribble penetrations.

Whether he declares this year or waits until 2008 when he will be automatically eligible, Belinelli has the makings of first round pick. Even though his shooting percentages dropped and his team struggled to qualify for the Top-16, he’s still one of the best shooting guard prospects around. He is also a pretty safe bet, considering that he has that one skill that he could utilize from day one on the NBA court - his shot. With time and good coaching, the rest of his game should develop as well, meaning he has the potential to become more than just a spot-up shooting threat.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually sort of related to the draft. No, very much related to the NBA draft.

Is Stern going to preside over the NBA Draft? I think I know the answer. However, I don't know how I'm even going to be able to enjoy watching the draft. The only thing I can think of right now is using blinders and the mute button. What should be one of the most enjoyable days of the year (besides the NFL Draft) is now going to be filled with a person who IMO is destroying the game.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Actually sort of related to the draft. No, very much related to the NBA draft.

Is Stern going to preside over the NBA Draft? I think I know the answer. However, I don't know how I'm even going to be able to enjoy watching the draft. The only thing I can think of right now is using blinders and the mute button. What should be one of the most enjoyable days of the year (besides the NFL Draft) is now going to be filled with a person who IMO is destroying the game.

David Stern announces all 1st round draft picks and then is replaced by I believe the deputy commissioner for the 2nd round picks.

I'd love to organize fans at the draft to boo Stern.

Knick fans have been doing this for years. They show up and it is basically a 2 hour long chorus of boos.