Eagles' D v. Steelers' D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
He is good. But how is the rest of the Steelers' secondary?

I really want to know.

Their entire defense is very solid and well-coached Mulli... Townsend is getting a little on in years, but he is still better than average. Clark is also very, very solid and as you saw from his hit on Magahee, he's not afraid to pop...
Still, the key to our passing game will the ability to protect Warner, not so much Pitts secondary... If Warner is protected, he will find the way to slice them up... If he's not and is forced to rush, watch out...

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their entire defense is very solid and well-coached Mulli... Townsend is getting a little on in years, but he is still better than average. Clark is also very, very solid and as you saw from his hit on Magahee, he's not afraid to pop...
Still, the key to our passing game will the ability to protect Warner, not so much Pitts secondary... If Warner is protected, he will find the way to slice them up... If he's not and is forced to rush, watch out...
Okay by me. I am getting so psyched for this game.

SteelersDave

Reaction score
He is good. But how is the rest of the Steelers' secondary?

I really want to know.

Ike Taylor has been quiety shutting down #1 receivers the last few years. He has hands of stone so lack of interceptions keeps him under the radar, but his coverage skills are excellent. Mcfadden is no slouch either. I believe we came in at #1 against the big play (fewest allowed). We do a good job of rushing a minimal amount of players while still applying pressure to the qb and keeping players back for pass defense. Our scheme allows the rush as opposed to just sending an all-out blitz. Hampton anchoring the defensive line routinely takes up two blockers allowing one of our fast OLB's to get in there for a play.
I look forward to this challenge as noone has the passing threat your team has. It should make for a great battle!

OP
OP
Mulli

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ike Taylor has been quiety shutting down #1 receivers the last few years. He has hands of stone so lack of interceptions keeps him under the radar, but his coverage skills are excellent. Mcfadden is no slouch either. I believe we came in at #1 against the big play (fewest allowed). We do a good job of rushing a minimal amount of players while still applying pressure to the qb and keeping players back for pass defense. Our scheme allows the rush as opposed to just sending an all-out blitz. Hampton anchoring the defensive line routinely takes up two blockers allowing one of our fast OLB's to get in there for a play.
I look forward to this challenge as noone has the passing threat your team has. It should make for a great battle!
Me too. Thanks.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pitts TP= GREAT.

This game will come down to a game off chess. Blitzburg will do everything in their power to get Warner off his spot. We will take a few shots early but try to maintain a balanced attack. Our defense is the key, especially early in the game. We can't assume we are going to get up 21 points on this team and likewise we can't go down 14 either.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Half of the AFC North was weak. Hard to call the division weak when two teams represented the division for the AFC Championship.

I think what he means is that it isn't a offense heavy division and that pumps up apparent D stats

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

Ike is a really good corner and he never gets any credit.

I've been a Steelers fan for about 11 years now (Cards ar emy favorite though) and this is the best Steelers defense I have ever seen. These linebackers now are unbelieveable, better than Kirkland, Gildon, Greene, Kendrell Bell (in his first few years), Porter and mayb even Greg Lloyd. Polamalu while I think he is overrated at times is a crazy talent and that D-Line is about as solid as you get. We are going to have a tough time with this D...unless Larry plays Superman again.

Reaction score
I've very happy to see the progression of this thread, I feel our secondary is pretty solid. We don't have many INT's from our corners so I think they get under rated sometimes - but they play some pretty tight/tough coverage. And once you get into the middle of the field with Clark and Troy there - I think there is a slight intimidation factor some WR's enter when they enter no man's land with those two freak safeties who are really to lower the boom. Usually all those factors and some pressure on QB's will force a few throw aways or bad passes come game days

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I've very happy to see the progression of this thread, I feel our secondary is pretty solid. We don't have many INT's from our corners so I think they get under rated sometimes - but they play some pretty tight/tough coverage. And once you get into the middle of the field with Clark and Troy there - I think there is a slight intimidation factor some WR's enter when they enter no man's land with those two freak safeties who are really to lower the boom. Usually all those factors and some pressure on QB's will force a few throw aways or bad passes come game days

That's a good thing for you guys, because Fitz and Q do not intimidate. Ever. And they're hell to stop. It's really going to come down to whether or not the blitz can get to Warner. If not, your secondary will be torched.

Trophytown

Registered
Reaction score
As an entire unit, the Eagles are arguably better. However, the Steelers have a ton more playmakers than do the Eagles... Harrison, Woodley and Palamalu are some of the best playmakers in the game today. And yes, I would take Palamalu over Dawkins without even a second thought. Dawkins is old and one-dimensional. Palamalu flies all over the field, hits like a train, is fast, can play the run and the pass with the best of them...

Still, there isn't a defense out there that can stop our offense. None... The question for the Super Bowl will be, can the Steelers keep up with our scoring... We will ring up more points than any other team has against the Steelers in this post season. What can they do about that??

Hmmmm......i do recall you visiting a prominent steeler forum the last day or so and they absolutely shredded your arguments to pieces. Bit. By. Bit.

So, you assume, that...........since youve scored 30-plus the last 4 games, that you'll continue the trend this game and then suddenly this top tier defense will somehow fail to restrict this suddenly juggernaut offense.

Oooooooooooooookay. If you say so ............. :D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Polamalu is probably the smartest defensive player right now. He is always where the ball is thrown.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm......i do recall you visiting a prominent steeler forum the last day or so and they absolutely shredded your arguments to pieces. Bit. By. Bit.

So, you assume, that...........since youve scored 30-plus the last 4 games, that you'll continue the trend this game and then suddenly this top tier defense will somehow fail to restrict this suddenly juggernaut offense.

You guys will just cover Fitzgerald, rattle Warner with pressure and not have to worry about our run game at all. We will score 0 points and gain less than 30 yards.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't think stats mean much now.

I'm not a big give and take dazzle you with football stats kinda guy, wouldn't try I usually lose those.

I will say though that if you can't see the hand of destiny here you're not looking. I'm not saying we'll win, cause nothing is for sure but I do expect that we've got a great shot just because things are going our way.

We're not a bad football team either, on any given Sunday we could beat any given team or just as easy lose sure.

The thing is we just seem to be in the zone, we'll see and all but I watched my Cardinal baseball team just melt against a team like that before, the Red Sox, wasn't even a fight and that wasn't a bad team in the WS, it was just destiny IMO.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Well, I think you should look at it this way...so you assume that since you beat but did not beat up on a rookie QB and a barely-in Chargers team, you will suddenly hold this top offense down? Oooooooooooooooooooookay... :D

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First i just want to say it's great to see so many knowledgable Steelers fans here, makes for good discussion.

This D is just sick, no way around it. Polamalu is an absolute animal and the rest of the secondary is very underrated. One weakness I do see is that I think their agressiveness can get the better of them from time to time (just like ours was prior to the playoffs) and especially with Troy. Your FS does a hell of a job covering some of his miscues.

I think the most important player on your D for this game is Casey Hampton. If he is able to push a guard and our Center into Kurt's face it is gonna be a loooooong day for the Cards. That pressure up the middle always destroys Warner. If we can keep him in check then I feel good.

When we are on D I look forward to seeing how we come after Big Ben and how DRC matches up with Holmes.

The battles between Wilson/Ward and Polamalu/Boldin are gonna be LEGENDARY.

Here's to a healthy hard-fought game from both sides.

And a win for the Cards :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Eagles fans said the same thing to us last week... you've scored 30 in 3 straight games, blah, blah, blah... you haven't faced a D like ours, blah, blah, blah.

bottom line, as unbelievable as this is to write, nothing's stopping the Cardinals from winning the Super Bowl... except maybe the refs, right Seattle fans? ;) (just kidding, the refs had nothing to do with Seattle handing that Super Bowl over to the Steelers on a silver platter).

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eagles fans said the same thing to us last week... you've scored 30 in 3 straight games, blah, blah, blah... you haven't faced a D like ours, blah, blah, blah.

bottom line, as unbelievable as this is to write, nothing's stopping the Cardinals from winning the Super Bowl... except maybe the refs, right Seattle fans? ;) (just kidding, the refs had nothing to do with Seattle handing that Super Bowl over to the Steelers on a silver platter).
They didn't need to. Jeremy Stevens hand it handled:D.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I absolutely did indeed visit steelersfever.com. Thought I might find the chance to engage in solid football discussion... WRONG! Of all other forums I have visited, I have never seen a bigger bunch of morons in my life...
I made my case. Said the Steelers defense is GREAT. Led by GREAT coaching and filled with GREAT talent.
I also said our offense is GREAT. Led by GREAT coaching and filled with GREAT talent. And instead of getting quality responses, I got " go suck dick"... "you're a ********"... If you call that "shredding my arguements, bit by bit...", well - I have even less hope for the city of Pittsburgh and its' education system! :bang:

Just be sure to come back to this board Trophytown after the game. Would love to further engage in solid football discussion!

;)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Don't you think the fact Whis is a bit familiar with that D means a little?

I do, the guy watched it in action in practice for years, yeah some of the players have changed and all but he concepts are the same.

The funny thing is his style of offense didn't work so they installed a new one so what Whis would do there he wouldn't do here etc.

To me if I'm a Steelers fan I'd be real nervous because I remeber times when the Steelers D would suddenly develop large gaping holes in it that took a few games to sew back shut, particularly against the pass.

You can't really run on it other than to do so when it's not expected.

But whis knows all this and he'll be ready, will the Steelers?

hmmm :)

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
There is no comparison between the Steeler's D and Phillies. The Steeler's D is absolutely suffocating where as there are holes in the Philly D if you could run against them. Steelers play very tight in pass coverage and with the pressure they get from Harrison and Woodley, they cause many incomplete throws.

Best case for the Cards is to come out running, then go to play action with short to intermediate throws. I like the Cards in the 2 tailback look with Warner under center. Steelers have some trouble with this look especially when you run your receivers on crossing routes to open up the swing pass to one of the tailbacks. Key is quick passes to the flats and away from Troy. He reacts too quickly. Slant routes are dangerous and Steelers like to have linebackers drop back causing tight windows which are dangerous. If I were the Cards, I'd run a couple misdirection plays that take advantage of the over aggressive Steeler's D. I love that misdirection screen the Cards run. Very effective and 10x better than your regular screen play. Leonard Pope might have a decent game too if he delays his release and stops 7-9 yrds down field. Don't spread the field. Keep that bunched wr group you guys run. Throws fear in opposing teams and a lot of confusion. Cards got away from doing this earlier in the season going to the 4-5 wide instead and it caught up to them.

On D, the best thing the Cards can do is keep blitzing to a minimum. Ben thrives on finding space on the blitz and coming up with big plays. HE's just so darn hard to bring down and when his adrenalin kicks in, he somehow breaks tackles and finds receivers down the field. Rush 3-4 and go with a cover 2 type package. Ben has trouble when there's too many defensive backs and he sometimes makes mistakes. Even when he has all day, he'll press.

Thanks we'll pass this on to the coaching staff.

I have a question about keeping the blitzing to a minimum and not being able to bring Ben down. We seemed to blitz him often last year when we played and I distinctly remember Big ben on the ground several times.

But you're probably right they shouldn't blitz much. I'm glad you cleared that up for us.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Eagles ranked #3

Steelers ranked #1

I am thinking Eagle's D was better than the Steelers this year.

I am almost positive that the Eagle secondary is better for sure.

I would take Dawk over Poolamoola.

Anyone disagree?

I would NEVER take Dawkins over Polamalu. NEVER EVER! Dawkins is not as good as he used to be.

With that being said... I still think the Eagle secondary and the Eagle D-Line is better than the Steelers'. But when it's comes to the LBs the comparison becomes ridiculous. The Eagles LBs are nowhere near the strength if the Steelers' LBs.

Overall. I would say that the Steelers D is sightly better, but with a worse secondary, you could argue that the Steelers D is a better match-up for us.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
It seems to me that the Steelers tend to run the same defensive schemes -- without making big changes for whatever opponent they face; while the Cards have been making big changes after watching game film.

Is this right -- or am I offbase? (And I'm not trash-talking -- just asking.)

BCEagle

Registered
Reaction score
Once again, Polamalu is a strong safety. Dawkins is a free safety. They play two different positions. Comparing the two is like comparing a weak-side linebacker to a middle linebacker, or a left tackle to a left guard.