East-West Shrine Game Prospects

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB:

1. Matt Scott, Arizona. Very good athlete---plays with a bounce, a la Russell Wilson. Has nifty feet---good presence---and a reasonably live arm. Only played one year of college football, so he's very much a project. But he would be a very good #3 this year for an NFC West team as they prepare to face Wilson, that is, if the Seahawks don't take him.

2. Seth Doege, Texas Tech. 70% type accuracy in college. Has a better arm than you'd think. If he gets with the right team, I think he has a chance to emerge as a bona fide #2 and possible starter one day. Slight build---needs to get stronger.

3. Colby Cameron, Louisiana Tech. 68.8% this past season---set an NCAA record for attempts w/o throwing an interception. At one point this year he had 27 TDs and 0 ints. Having watched his OT shootout versus texas A&M and Johnny Football, I was very impressed. Has a compact delivery and has beautiful touch on the ball. In this game he looked taller than I had remembered, which is good, but he threw a poor pick six and didn't get many snaps. Has a slight build like Doege---needs to get stronger.

4. Alex Carder, Western Michigan. Was the most accurate of all the passers---but threw one interception. He looked smooth and in command. Could be a sleeper. Doesn't have a rocket arm, but he has good throwing mechanics and a very good sense of timing.

RB:

1. Christine Michael, Texas A&M. Reminds me a little of Shady McCoy. Don't know what to make of his getting in the doghouse at A&M---but he still rushed for over 500 yards at 5.4 ypc. In this game, he showed a very nice burst and solid body control. But he did fumble once.

2. Zach Line, SMU. One tough hombre. I think he ran for over 1,000 yards 3 years in a row. Not a home run threat, but runs hard and does not go down easily on contact.

3. Kerwynn Williams, Utah St. Scat back with deceptive lower body control and strength. Had a big year stepping in for Robert Turbin. I think this kid is a sleeper---3rd down RB with a chance to split time at a #2 RB as he gets accustomed to the NFL.

4. Ray Graham, Pittsburgh. 2nd all-time Pitt rusher behind Tony Dorsett, Smallish, but shifty and elusive. Fumbled the ball switching it to his right hand on the first play of the game. Had a couple nice runs in the 2nd half. LSH type---but a little stronger taking on contact.

WR:

1. Corey Fuller, Virginia Tech. Nice size, very good speed. Looks a little raw at this point, but would be a good fit in Arians' vertical pass offense.

2. Jasper Collins, Mt. Union. Check these stats: 92/1,694/18.4/22. Good slot guy for the spread---can make people miss in the open field. Needs to add some muscle.

3. Anthony Amos, Middle Tennessee. Smooth with a capital S. Naturally gifted---plays very much under control---sneaky fast. Amazing that he even got an invite to this game seeing as he was a relative unknown last year. Had a big senior year.

4. Chad Bumphis, Mississippi St. Not very tall, but plays taller than he is---good route runner, very good hands, has RAC ability. Just solid all the way around.

5. Erik Highsmith, North Carolina. Has good height---looks about 6-3---and good playing speed. Light on his feet---in a good way. Talented---needs to add some weight.

6. Keenan Davis, Iowa. Looks the part. Good size, strength, hands, route runner. Not flashy---but productive.

T:

1. Tyronne Armstead, Arkansas Pine-Bluff. Big man, natural bender, good feet. A little unrefined in his mechanics---but has all the physical attributes.

2. Dan O'Neill, Western Michigan. Michigan transfer---good size and length. Looks like a RT to me. Has athletic ability---might play a little too upright at times.

G:

1. Jeff Baca, UCLA. 6-4, 303---slid down to RG and I thought dominated the l.o.s. Really gets off the ball---easily got to the second level on a number of occasions. Wide base in pass pro---good upper body control and strength. A real sleeper, imo.

C:

1. James Ferentz, Iowa. Coach's son and a very good player, imo. Lacks proto-typical size, but plays with tenacity and smarts.

TE:

1. Chris Pantale, Boston College. Was hurt some his senior year, but has been a good pass catching TE at BC for 4 years. Solid blocker, although he lack classic TE bulk.

2. Josh Hill, Idaho St. Jumped out a couple of times---thought he looked a little like Jeff King only a little more fluid and smooth in his routes.

DT:

1. Joe Vallero, Maryland. Lacks height, but plays very strong inside and has pass rush ability. I've seen him dominate ACC opponents every time I watched Maryland. In this game he didn't flash the way I thought he would.

DE:

1. Devin Taylor, South Carolina. The star of the game. A man amongst boys. Is long (6-7) and strong---and moves very well for a man his size---can chase plays down with a burst---can bull rush and speed rush. Looks to strip the QB whenever possible. Was a big-time TFL (tackle for loss) machine at South Carolina.

2. Wes Horton, USC. 6-5, 260. Good, solid edge rusher. Needs stronger moves, but has the physical talent.

34OLB:

1. Brandon Thurmond, Arkansas Pine-Bluff. 17.5 sacks this past season. Looks about 6-3, 260---classic 34 edge size. Has to play DE in this game, but still got some good QB pressures. Might be a sleeper.

2. Travis Johnson, San Jose St. Very productive sack DE at SJS. I think he was WAC Defensive POY. Good motor---needs to add some pounds.

ILB:

1. A.J. Klein, Iowa St. Always around the ball. Good in coverage too. Solid 4th-5th rounder.

2 T: Sio Moore, Connecticut; Matt Evans, New Hampshire; Albert Rossetti, Nevada; Nick Moody, Florida St. Late round prospects who all played well in the game. Moore has the most upside, imo. Evans is a tackling machine, but is under-sized. Rossetti is tough---TFL kind of ILB---and Moody is very very fast.

CB:

1. Nigel Malone, Kansas St. Keep an eye on this ballhawk. Had a perfectly timed pick six in the game---and that's his game---he lulls you and then bang he jumps a route and is off to the races. Lacks ideal height, but the feet and anticipation are there big-time.

2. Terry Hawthorne, Illinois. Had a great corner of the end zone interception where he turned at the perfect time to look back for the ball and managed to snag it and tuck it in while keeping his feet in bounds. Like Malone---not especially physical, but very talented in coverage.

3. Earl Wolff, North Carolina St. Combo CB/S. Had a nice interception in the red zone as well.

4. Khalid Wooten, Nevada. Here's another ballhawk---had a very good interception in the game and looks like a sleeper as a cover CB.

S:

1. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame. Coming off 16 tackles in the NCAA Championship game, Motta is a physical safety who not only can force the run well, but is solid in man coverage on TEs.

2. Branden Smith, Georgia. Combo CB/S. Looked solid. made some good plays.

ST:

1. Sheldon Price, UCLA. Excellent gunner.

2. Tre Wilson, Vanderbilt. Same.

3. Josh Johnson, Purdue. CB and KO returner with speed.

K:

1. Caleb Sturgis, Florida. Made 24/28 on the season, and was perfect from 42 yards in this game.

The 4 Players Who Jumped Out The Most:

1. Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina
2. Matt Scott, QB, Arizona
3. Nigel Malone, CB, Kansas St.
4. Jeff Baca, G, UCLA

4 Top Sleepers:

1. Colby Cameron, QB, Louisiana Tech
2. Anthony Amos, WR, Middle Tennessee
3. James Ferentz, C, Iowa
4. Zach Line, RB, SMU

Any input you have on these players or any players I didn't mention is much appreciated.

Last edited:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
1. Jeff Baca, UCLA. 6-4, 303---slid down to RG and I thought dominated the l.o.s. Really gets off the ball---easily got to the second level on a number of occasions. Wide base in pass pro---good upper body control and strength. A real sleeper, imo.

DE:

1. Devin Taylor, South Carolina. The star of the game. A man amongst boys. Is long (6-7) and strong---and moves very well for a man his size---can chase plays down with a burst---can bull rush and speed rush. Looks to strip the QB whenever possible. Was a big-time TFL (tackle for loss) machine at South Carolina.

2. Travis Johnson, San Jose St. Very productive sack DE at SJS. I think he was WAC Defensive POY. Good motor---needs to add some pounds.

These guys look interesting. Watching S. Carolina play w/ Clowney you never noticed this guy.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Klein ILB,Motta and Devin Taylor DE all could fill a need .Taylor would be a good fit at LDE wouldn`t he Mitch?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Klein ILB,Motta and Devin Taylor DE all could fill a need .Taylor would be a good fit at LDE wouldn`t he Mitch?

I like all three of them.

What's good about Taylor is that he could play one gap as a 34 DE (rotate in for DD) and be one of the two DEs in the 4 man rush.

Imagine the 6'8' Calais Campbell and the 6'7" Devin Taylor coming at you from both sides or the same side.

If we want Taylor, we will need to take him in the 3rd round, imo. He won't make it to Saturday (Rounds 4-7).

Taking him at #38 may be a little too early.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I like all three of them.

What's good about Taylor is that he could play one gap as a 34 DE (rotate in for DD) and be one of the two DEs in the 4 man rush.

Imagine the 6'8' Calais Campbell and the 6'7" Devin Taylor coming at you from both sides or the same side.

If we want Taylor, we will need to take him in the 3rd round, imo. He won't make it to Saturday (Rounds 4-7).

Taking him at #38 may be a little too early.

Since the Cards are going to use a 4-3 at times ( if i understood correctly) one would think that at least a couple of new faces will be around to replace Holliday,Eason,Thompson,and or Lumpkin.Lumpkin has had 2 years on the PS and he hasn`t jumped anyone on the depth chart yet.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Matt Scott had best performance of all qbs( senior bowl and east west shrine game ) devin taylor was unstopable that day

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since the Cards are going to use a 4-3 at times ( if i understood correctly) one would think that at least a couple of new faces will be around to replace Holliday,Eason,Thompson,and or Lumpkin.Lumpkin has had 2 years on the PS and he hasn`t jumped anyone on the depth chart yet.

Who is thompson ?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mitch - Matt Scott played more than one year of college ball. I think you meant to say he was the starter for one whole season. He was the starter coming into his sophomore season and lost his job to Nick Foles. In his junior year, he spot started when Foles went down with a knee injury and went 2-0.

As for Scott's ability to play, he can play but needs to work on his mechanics and decision making. He puts a ton of air under the ball when he throws deep. He arches his back way too far back. Scott's best prospect would be to come in as a back up to Kap, Wilson, RGIII etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Don't buy the Devin Taylor hype, especially early in the draft. I watched him for years ast South Carolina, and he has his moments, but he is not a top prospect.

He's a little too slight for the NFL. He played with a few top prospects (Clowney) and he never quite looked in the same league as those guys.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser