Eddie Johnson: Please Pray for Al McCoy

Reaction score
Al McCoy is the only universally beloved figure in Suns history. Absolutely everyone else--Jerry Colangelo, Charles Barkley, *Dan Majerle--has some critics and naysayers.

*Yes, even Dan Majerle. In at least one of the mid-90s series losses to the Rocks (I forget which series), some (others, not me) afterward blamed Majerle for having a bad series. But it was really because whoever guarded Majerle did a really good job neutralizing him. It was either Vernon Maxwell or possibly Clyde Drexler depending on which series; and if Drexler, would you really blame Majerle for being shut down by him?

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Al McCoy is the only universally beloved figure in Suns history. Absolutely everyone else--Jerry Colangelo, Charles Barkley, *Dan Majerle--has some critics and naysayers.

*Yes, even Dan Majerle. In at least one of the mid-90s series losses to the Rocks (I forget which series), some (others, not me) afterward blamed Majerle for having a bad series. But it was really because whoever guarded Majerle did a really good job neutralizing him. It was either Vernon Maxwell or possibly Clyde Drexler depending on which series; and if Drexler, would you really blame Majerle for being shut down by him?

I'd argue Cotton was held in a similar regard to Al, at least with fans who lived and watched prior to his passing. It's grown since then. Joe Proski probably would be in 3rd place, maybe even second to Al. Never heard a bad thing about the Pross. It's a short list that probably stops with those 3 though. I can't think of any others who fit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al to me is the epitome of any legend that has come through the organization. Hope he recovers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have such distinct memories of the mid 1970's, sitting on my bed doing homework and listening to Al McCoy calling a Suns game. Paul Westphal, Alvan Adams, Ricky Sobers, Gar Heard. Even Dennis Awtry.

Reaction score
I have such distinct memories of the mid 1970's, sitting on my bed doing homework and listening to Al McCoy calling a Suns game. Paul Westphal, Alvan Adams, Ricky Sobers, Gar Heard. Even Dennis Awtry.
Yes; and let me make clear how far I would go to thank Mr. McCoy for those memories. When he passes away--which, at his age, could very well be any day now--I would be more interested in going to any public memorial service for him than I would in attending a Suns championship parade outdoors in June. (That, by the way, is my test of whether someone is a "true Suns fan": whether they would stand outside in the June heat to honor the Suns' first championship.) It frustrates me that I now live in another part of the country and it's unlikely that I could get down there whenever it happens.