Egotist and Hypocrite: The Last Days of Brenly?

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
By Rod Lakin courtesy of AZ Gameday:

There is some solace, this spring, that in the ever-changing landscape of professional baseball certain things have remained the same. After all, it wouldn’t quite be baseball without Buck Showalter bringing his infielders in during the early portion of the Texas Rangers second game or, with runners in scoring position, Arizona Diamondbacks manager Bob Brenly leaving a left-handed relief pitcher in to face baseball’s top right-handed RBI producer.

Indeed these two situations represent the absurdity of the only two managers that the Diamondbacks have employed. On one extreme you have the blundering Brenly unable to anticipate one batter ahead let alone one inning. On the other, there is the high-handed Showalter, unable to overlook even the slightest of details.

In the case of Showalter, someone couldn’t have played as big a part in two world championship clubs without having one ring to show for it. Given that, one shouldn’t underestimate the type of self-detrimental qualities that it would take to wrestle such a legacy away. But alas, Showalter shouldn’t fret much longer. It appears as if his authoritarianism wasn’t wretched enough to send a second manager to the hall of fame.

http://www.azgameday.com/news_gameday.shtml#newsitem1083256415,60276,

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
In 2001, former Diamondback third baseman Matt Williams chased down and chastised former Diamondback color commentator Jim Traber

I could be wrong, but didn't Traber start in 2002, the year after the world series?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
By Rod Lakin courtesy of AZ Gameday:
Indeed these two situations represent the absurdity of the only two managers that the Diamondbacks have employed. On one extreme you have the blundering Brenly unable to anticipate one batter ahead let alone one inning. On the other, there is the high-handed Showalter, unable to overlook even the slightest of details.
http://www.azgameday.com/news_gameday.shtml#newsitem1083256415,60276,
I've felt that Rod Lakin's analysis of our two Managers summarizes our short history. Two extremes -- one who had to control every detail and one who seems to make decisions by the seat of his pants, then changes his mind over and over.

It might be as simple as Lakin's evaluation.
Whereas 2001 and 2002 played passably via Brenly’s fumbling hands, 2003’s season exposed the D-Backs skipper for what he truly is: A bad baseball manager.

I just hope that we don't repeat the mistake of naming another extreme as our next Manager, from the broadcasting booth. Mark Grace's tendency to turn everything into a joke, and hoop and holler like a kid, is not the prerequisite for a guy who must blend the egos of 30 millionaires.

The answer is none of those extremes. The answer is not inexperience. It is not Mark Grace or Robin Yount. It is a solid professional, who has come throught the ranks as Manager.

Especially with the youth movement becoming more and more prevalent on the D'Backs, it's the man who trained the BabyBacks for their Major League successes. He's standing in our 3rd base coaching box -- Al Pedrique.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
green machine said:
In 2001, former Diamondback third baseman Matt Williams chased down and chastised former Diamondback color commentator Jim Traber

I could be wrong, but didn't Traber start in 2002, the year after the world series?

Traber started covering the Diamondbacks in 2001. He used to go on ESPN radio on Sunday nights and kept telling everyone the Diamondbacks were very good and that they could win it all.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BC867 said:
I've felt that Rod Lakin's analysis of our two Managers summarizes our short history. Two extremes -- one who had to control every detail and one who seems to make decisions by the seat of his pants, then changes his mind over and over.

It might be as simple as Lakin's evaluation.

I just hope that we don't repeat the mistake of naming another extreme as our next Manager, from the broadcasting booth. Mark Grace's tendency to turn everything into a joke, and hoop and holler like a kid, is not the prerequisite for a guy who must blend the egos of 30 millionaires.

The answer is none of those extremes. The answer is not inexperience. It is not Mark Grace or Robin Yount. It is a solid professional, who has come throught the ranks as Manager.

Especially with the youth movement becoming more and more prevalent on the D'Backs, it's the man who trained the BabyBacks for their Major League successes. He's standing in our 3rd base coaching box -- Al Pedrique.

I like Al Pedrique. I also like Chip Hale. He has won in the lower levels of the minors and now he is winning at Tucson.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Wally Backman at the Jethawks has quite an impressive minor league pedigree, too. btw, Las Vegas has Bob Melvin at # 1 odds to be the first manager replaced. Brenly is third, I believe.
I just don't see them moving Pedrique over Yount. Not that I'm convinced about Yount. Baseball Weekly said if BB goes in midseason Yount would be interim - from a "very highly placed source in the organization."

But I think if BB goes, JoeBlows must go too. I want Tommy Jones as GM, as long as we're smoking stuff. :p

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugly, ugly baseball.

Mid-May and the Dbacks are dead in the water. No Babybacks going to save them this year.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Jerry's vote of confidence

Jerry Colangelo's vote of confidence for Bob Brenly yesterday is just another example of who oversees the Manager.

Joe Garagiola, Jr., may have the title of General Manager, but he no more runs the show on the D'backs than Brian Cashman does on the Yankees.

Is there any Yankee fan who doubts that King George makes the decisions and that Cashman does the legwork?

But still there are fans in Arizona who hold Joe, Jr., accountable for the direction of the team.

When the D'backs were born, and Jerry brought in Buck Showalter, he said that he wanted to pattern his team after the Yankees.

Obviously. This is just another example.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The standard operating prodedure applies here.... First, Brenly terminated most of his coaching staff from last season...which is typical since they're usually held as "'scape goats".... If that doesnt lead to any improvement, then the next step is to promote-up players from the minors to determine whether or not theyre of any worth....If that fails, then teams are forced to make trades to see if that could possibly shake the team up....If none of that generates any positive results, then the last resort is to fire the manager....

It appears they've embarked on the "trading phase", however, the obviously must not make any deals just for the sake of it....I just don't know who they're willing to part with at this time (besides Hillenbrand, who shouldnt be traded since the jury is still out on if Tracy is suited to be an every day 3B)......

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
The standard operating prodedure applies here.... First, Brenly terminated most of his coaching staff from last season...which is typical since they're usually held as "'scape goats".... If that doesnt lead to any improvement, then the next step is to promote-up players from the minors to determine whether or not theyre of any worth....If that fails, then teams are forced to make trades to see if that could possibly shake the team up....If none of that generates any positive results, then the last resort is to fire the manager....

QUOTE]
Totally agree. Once you concede members of the staff, your ax is ready to fall. Let’s not forget how Colangelo failed to inspire his other organization w/ Frank Johnson’s firing, so a shift in direction (six more weeks of Brenly) is hardly surprising. I’d give him a little over a month maybe two before something is done. And I don’t buy any of what Colangelo is saying. For instance, if Brenly is so “safe” why does his contract run out at seasons end? If he is doing everything right why don’t they move to extend it? Finally, if culpability is a “players only” sin why were the aforementioned coaches canned or F. Johnson let go, for that matter? (I would love to hear a local “journalist” ask any of the three.)
However unjustified it may be (you could certainly make such a case w/ this halfhearted roster), Joe Jr. is safe and B.B. is not. I can’t say I’ll be terribly sorry to see him go. Mike Koplove and Oscar Villarreal’s right arms would certainly agree

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
Everytime I hear Colangelo give any of his team's coaches a vote of confidence it means they are being led to the guillotine. They just haven't arrived yet.

moviegeekjn

Registered
Reaction score
minercon said:
Everytime I hear Colangelo give any of his team's coaches a vote of confidence it means they are being led to the guillotine.
Giving a public "vote of confidence" is also standard operating procedure that lets a manager know that he needs to be prepared to clean out his locker on short notice.

Last edited:

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moviegeekjn said:
Giving a public "vote of confidence" is also standard operating procedure that lets a manager know that he needs to be prepared to clean out his locker on short notice.
That is absolutely true.... If Jerry C. was to promptly go to the media and declare that Brenly was in his final days as manager, he will ultimately be conceding that this season is over.... Obviously, that would be the worst signal to send to the players and the fans (attendance would definitely continue to plummet).....

I have a feeling whenever the final day of Brenly does come, it will be announced that he resigned....that it was in their best mutual interest....

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
).....

I have a feeling whenever the final day of Brenly does come, it will be announced that he resigned....that it was in their best mutual interest....

I agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05