Emmit Shows His True Colors

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:
then I guess he just keeps 100s of balls in his huge trophy room.
Actually, yeah. I hear that's what he does.

Either way, I think it's terrible where his priorities are, and I don't like him. If there ever was an anti-Barry Sanders, he is it.
I don't particularly like him, but I can't hold it against the guy too much. Even if he was a below average NFL RB, it's still pretty cool to have played in the NFL. As it turns out, he's sitting atop the record books. Tough to begrudge the guy his souviners.

I still have the stick I played lacrosse with in college and the jersey from the all-star game. I plan on keeping those forever. Does it mean I placed personal achievement in front of winning? No. Does it make me a bad person? No, there are other things that make me a bad person; but hanging on to keepsakes, whether it be a lacrosse stick or an NFL football, is pretty harmless.

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
A stick and a jersey is fine. Hundreds of sticks, a different one from every game you ever played in, all over your house, would make you an egomaniac. Which is what Emmitt is.

He was a great player, but was and is a very selfish person (MUCH MORE so than TO or Randy Moss, in my opinion). And coming to Arizona, as he has already admitted, was only to push his stats a little higher so it will be harder to break his record.

I didn't want him here from day one, and this quote from him only confirms what I believed.

Where'd (and when) you play lacrosse, BTW?

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:
A stick and a jersey is fine. Hundreds of sticks, a different one from every game you ever played in, all over your house, would make you an egomaniac. Which is what Emmitt is.

He was a great player, but was and is a very selfish person (MUCH MORE so than TO or Randy Moss, in my opinion). And coming to Arizona, as he has already admitted, was only to push his stats a little higher so it will be harder to break his record.

I didn't want him here from day one, and this quote from him only confirms what I believed.

Where'd (and when) you play lacrosse, BTW?
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
You're such a joker, those couldn't possibly be statements that you actually believe. You had me going though, good one.

DCCardsFan

Rookie
Reaction score
so far away said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
You're such a joker, those couldn't possibly be statements that you actually believe. You had me going though, good one.

Yeah, you're right. He's a great guy, he came to Arizona to do whatever it takes to get us in the playoffs (as in mentoring our young RBs), and I'm really glad we got him here. And there's nothing wrong with having a huge trophy room to celebrate oneself and playing solely to pump up one's stats. I don't know what I was thinking.

OP
OP
Red Fury

Red Fury

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
The reason why he chose to do it now is becuase of the people in attendance - mainly Irvin, Moose Johnston, & Aikman will all be there.

For what it is worth, Irvin and Aikman were not in attendance, even though they were in Jax.

Also, I don't have any problem with Smith retiring a Cowboy, I have a problem with the way that he retired. In typical Emmitt fashion, he has to put himself ahead of everything and everyone else.

There are alot of great athletes that left the game alot quieter than Emmitt. Emmitts ego wont let him go quietly though he has to be the center of attention. He PO'd alot of people by announcing during the Super Bowl week.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:
Yeah, you're right. He's a great guy, he came to Arizona to do whatever it takes to get us in the playoffs (as in mentoring our young RBs), and I'm really glad we got him here. And there's nothing wrong with having a huge trophy room to celebrate oneself and playing solely to pump up one's stats. I don't know what I was thinking.

Thanks for coming clean with us, like I said you really had me going.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
As far as keeping all the footballs, jersey's, (didn't he wear different uniforms during a game to get more "game used" stuff?) and other collectables goes, he always has an authenticator around to mark all the stuff, thus establishing a market price for everything.

He probably has a clause in his contract that the team covers the cost of all this stuff.

Then, when it's authenticated, he donates the items to charity, and writes the VALUE of the items off his taxes.

In essence, he's just lowering his tax burden on the backs of all tax paying Americans, because he can.

BTW- there will be a huge retirement party for him in Dallas, once this pesky Super Bowl is out of the way.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
This is without a doubt one of the dumbest threads I have ever read! Of course Smith would retire as a cowboy. Think OJ should have retired a 49er? puhhhlease

Emmit is nothing but class. You can disgaree about his signing all day but that has nothing to do with his character, work ethic, desire, and ability. Learn to seperate the two....

He is nothing but a class act!

This thread is stupid and bitching about nothing. Of course Emmitt would retire with a Cowboys helmet. WTF people have such a hate for Emmitt. I hated Emmitt he came to the Cards and was a class act, (except when he cried in Dallas). He spoke good of the Cards and played good this year, I'm cool with Emmitt now. Why hate on this dude so much.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
DCCardsFan said:

So I guess that means Dan Marino and Jerome Bettis are egomaniacs as well? They both have tons of tiems from their playing days and Bettis has made it a practice of keeping his TD balls the last few years!

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
Red Fury said:
maddogkf said:
The reason why he chose to do it now is becuase of the people in attendance - mainly Irvin, Moose Johnston, & Aikman will all be there..

For what it is worth, Irvin and Aikman were not in attendance, even though they were in Jax.

Also, I don't have any problem with Smith retiring a Cowboy, I have a problem with the way that he retired. In typical Emmitt fashion, he has to put himself ahead of everything and everyone else.

There are alot of great athletes that left the game alot quieter than Emmitt. Emmitts ego wont let him go quietly though he has to be the center of attention. He PO'd alot of people by announcing during the Super Bowl week.

FWIW - I didn't see the presser, but went with what Hellestrae said on KDUS. He talks to Aikman about every week & this is what was forwarded to him

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
The reason why he chose to do it now is becuase of the people in attendance - mainly Irvin, Moose Johnston, & Aikman will all be there.

He wanted to go out with the people who meant the most to him.

I never did like EMmit as a Cowboy, but I do appreciate his work ethic & his dedication to the game.

I have no problem with what he did.
Also If you look at Aikman,Irvin,Johnston and Novacheck what do they all have in common? They were Forced out of football cause of injuries and I think Emmitt also wants to get out football without a major injury to forced him out, just my opinion though.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
You are denouncing Emmitt Smith and Larry Fitzgerald for the "damn find backfield of Marcel Shipp?" :shrug:

:shrug:

Actually, no, I'm not. I love Emmitt and I love Fitz.

However, many people keep living in the past and hate what we have vs. what we could have had.

And personally, I'm not a big fan of Marcell Shipp...ask Shane H. ;) However, as a backup RB, Shipp is great, especially if we land someone like Ronnie Brown to be our starter.

But no, I'm not denoucing Fitz or Emmitt; I'm saying that those are our guys and not Suggs or Rothlisburger or Roy Williams. And that's just fine...