ESPN Chat: Levi Brown

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Thought you guys might like to see this......

Chat with Cardinals' draft pick Levi Brown

You must be registered for see images attach

Levi Brown earned two degrees at Penn State: one in labor and industrial relations and one in psychology.

Welcome to The Show! On Friday, one of the newest members of the Arizona Cardinals, Levi Brown, will stop by to chat.

The Cardinals made Brown the fifth player taken overall in the 2007 NFL draft. The 6-foot-5, 323-pound Brown was the second offensive lineman taken in the draft, following JaMarcus Russell (Oakland Raiders), Calvin Johnson (Detroit Lions), Joe Thomas (Cleveland Browns) and Gaines Adams (Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

Brown started all 45 games he played in at Penn State. He enrolled at Penn State as a defensive tackle, playing on the scout team as a redshirt freshman. He was listed as a starting defensive tackle for the 2003 spring practices, but was shifted to the offensive line in the fall. He plowed open holes for the Penn State line, with over 60% of the team's ground yardage the last two seasons coming due to blocks by Brown. During that span, Brown laid down 136 knockdowns that produced 23 TDs.

Alltel Wireless, official sponsor of the Arizona Cardinals, is bringing Brown, one of the team's "New Kids in Town," to a local Alltel retail store in Phoenix, Ariz., to make his first public appearance as an Arizona Cardinal on Saturday, May 5. Brown will make phone calls to a few lucky fans, sign autographs and answer questions from Cardinals supporters during an open Q&A session.

Levi Brown: Hey everyone, happy to be here with the Cardinals. I'll be partnered with Altell for a New Kids in Town meeting, giving away different Cardinals memorablia at the Altell store on Cinco DeMayo, just north of the Metro Center mall, 1-3.

Scott, San Diego, CA: Levi, Do you expect to see immediate playing time, and who do you expect to look up to as a mentor on the team? Thanks for making us in the PSU family proud! We Are!!

Levi Brown: From what I understand, I'll be starting off at right tackle. I'll have to earn that job and work to get playing time. I'll be looking out to the coaches and older guys on the team for guidance.

Josh (Ewing, Mo): Will you have any problems guarding a lefty's backside on the right side of the line?

Levi Brown: No, football is football. It'll be a defensive end or linebacker who tries to get past me, and I'll do what I do--stop them from getting there.

Mike (Phoenix) Arizona: Levi, Congrats on being the fifth pick. What is your impressions you got from Leinart and James when you talked to them after being drafted. Also what have you gotten from talking to Mr. Grimm.

Levi Brown: Leinart and James were congratulatory, telling me they were happy with the pick. I'm gonna try to bring a different attitude to the offensive line. Everyone wants to see me do well.

Anthony (Cleveland): do the Cards have a rookie camp coming up? Are you planning on attending?

Levi Brown: Yes, rookie camp starts next week. I'll be attending and becoming a permanent resident after that.

Brandon (Phoenix): What is it that will make you a dominate tackle at the NFL level? P.S. no politically correct answers I want the real deal...

Levi Brown: I guess just overall attitude--being mean and taking the will away from the defensive linemen.

Billy (Columbo, TN): Levi - What did Coach Pa say to you during recruiting that convinced you to come to Penn St?

Levi Brown: Man, that was so long ago. He pretty much talked about the academic side, which I'm big on, and where I would be playing. I wanted to be on defense, but that didn't work out. Other than that, they told me abou the campus and what I should expect.

Chris (NYC): Hey Levi, WE ARE!!! What do you think the best lesson your PSU coaching staff taught you in State College?

Levi Brown: Probably you're not as good as you think, but you're not as bad as you think either. You can always get better, but you should move on to the next thing if something goes wrong.

Doug (Providence): Do you ever have any thoungts about what it would have been like if you hadn't changed from DT to OT?

Levi Brown: I did when I first got moved, but now I'm satisfied with being an offensive lineman. I love playing offense.

Kyle (Kansas): Were you surprised to get drafted at No. 5? Did you have any idea you could go that early?

Levi Brown: I was only surprised because I hadn't had too much contact with the Cardinals. I hadn't visited them like other teams. I expected to get drafted by a team I had visited, and the Cardinals weren't one of them.

matt (omaha): From the end of the college season to the moment you were drafted, you went from a projected 1st round pick in the 20's to the 5th overall pick. What do you attribute that dramatic jump to?

Levi Brown: Just working hard, not focusing on what people were saying. I worked and trained hard for the senior bowl and combine, just to show the coaches what I can do.

Erik (Bloomfield, NJ): What NFL vet are you looking forward to going up against?

Levi Brown: Haven't really thought about that. There's a lot of good defensive linemen out there. I guess guys like Strahan who have been around for a while, guys who have proven themselves to be Pro Bowl-type players.

Dave (Fairfax Va): Levi, How do you think PSU will do this year without you?

Levi Brown: I think they'll be fine. they have a lot of good guys coming up on the offensive line. They had a really good recruiting class, and those guys are ready to keep PSU moving in the right direction.

mike (ca): Does Leinart get all the girl like he is made out to get?

Levi Brown: He wasn't up here when I was here last time, so I don't know if he's a ladies' man or not.

Chris (NYC): Levi, Grilled Sticky's at the Diner or Teas at Cafe 210?

Levi Brown: Grilled Sticky's.

Mikey(Lackawanna,NY): How good do you think your former teammate Paul Posluszny will do in the NFL?

Levi Brown: I think Paul will be an all-pro linebacker with any team he's with. I don't understand why he wasn't a first rounder, but I'm not in control of the draft.

Dave (Fairfax Va): Who's the best player you went against in your college career?

Levi Brown: Will Smith from Ohio State.

Kyle (York, PA): What will you miss most about Penn St. or college in general??

Levi Brown: The fans. You had two years when we were the bottom of the Big Ten, but the fans stuck with us and we still sold out games.

Levi Brown: I'm just excited to get the season started, and let's go make a playoff run!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am beginning to like him the more I hear him speak.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I watched it.He came across very well. He was a complete 180 from JaMarcus Russell who still goes down as one of the worst interviews i have ever seen.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I don't think he speaks well. I just think he is comfortable with who he is and talks to his interviewers without that rehearsed sound. Which I like!!!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the kid is very intelligent and hard working. I didn't realize he switched to OT in college. I also like that he was the captain of his team. I am also really starting to like this pick......

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it was made clear (reading between the lines) that Whiz and Grimm liked Levi more than Joe Thomas...from everything I've read and looked at and heard, I am starting to see why. I hope he's the anchor here for a decade.