ESPN Insider say Holliday nearing decision

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't have access anymore but that is what the headline says.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Originally posted by EndZone
I don't have access anymore but that is what the headline says.

Do you have the link? I looked for the headline but could find it. I could try to hack, err, I mean "access" it...

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Here's what I found in there:

"Apr. 3 - Holliday visited the Chiefs on Wednesday, and his agent, Brian Levy, told the Green Bay Press-Gazette, "I would think we'd have a decision very soon." Holliday reportedly is hoping the Chiefs make an offer that trumps those on the table from Arizona and Seattle, which were considerably lower than what the five-year veteran was seeking. Previously, Levy indicated the Cardinals might have a slight edge over the Seahawks but that both offers are "decent." Holliday turned down a deal to re-sign with Green Bay that included a $5 million signing bonus, but now he's looking at a bonus closer to $3 million."

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
I've about had it with Holliday.

If he does come here, what's he gonna say at his press conference? How excited he is to be here? How this really was his first choice? Hopefully he just avoids the media all together, shuts up, and just plays ball.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's helping us win games when September comes around, no one will remember, or care, about how this all went down.

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
If he's helping us win games when September comes around, no one will remember, or care, about how this all went down.

When we make it to the playoffs he will realize he made the right decision.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I Now Agree - Forget About Holliday

The EVT today, relayed a report from the Milwaukee Journal reporting that, while the Cardinal offer is highest, Holliday "questions their commitment to winning" and that he is willing to wait until a better offer comes along.

See my comments on the Rumor & Innuendo page of the BRS.

Screw him!

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
I with you on this one, Jeff. We've given him plenty of time, and now with these comments, I say pull the offer.

seesred

Reaction score
If we are not committed to winning why in the heck would we want to spend money on players like him? If he said this he was not interested in the first place and should not have let the team spend money on him to improve the team in the first place. If this is so, he was playing us, and if he was screw him!

GBR

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I wonder if he's just playin us to get us to up the offer one more time, competing with ourselves like we did with Emmitt.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
can you blame him for any of this...?

He is simply getting the most he can, and he knows the cardinals are desperate...

He questions are comitment to winning? Is that a shock to any of you?

I dont like how long this is taking him, but you really cant blame him for it...

But I do think it is time to give him a deadline to accept!

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
We're in a position to get Kennedy, Robertson, Suggs, Williams, White, McDougal, etc...

Why add Holliday's attitude to our team?
Why not get somebody hell bent on making their own mark on the league?
Why cater to some prima dona who thinks he's got the world by the stones because AZ and Seattle are both in a position to overspend on him?

Screw this guy.

I'd rather add quality veteran depth at 4-5 positions after June 1 then waste cash on a guy who doesn't want to be here.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
We're in a position to get Kennedy, Robertson, Suggs, Williams, White, McDougal, etc...

Why cater to some prima dona who thinks he's got the world by the stones because AZ and Seattle are both in a position to overspend on him?

Screw this guy.

I'd rather add quality veteran depth at 4-5 positions after June 1 then waste cash on a guy who doesn't want to be here.

I pretty much agree with this. Let's face it, he doesn't want to play here for whatever reason (we have to assume it is winning since the money is tops according to reports). So let's just give him 24 hours to decide and when that happens, we withdraw the offer. I think they should make this one last tiny push and if he decides to not sign then the Cards should move on and NEVER look back...even if he comes crawling back. I think the Cards have been extraordinarily patient with this and he has not shown them the same respect they have shown him.

Who is still out there available right now? This is somewhat disturbing to me that the Cards may have to wait until June 1 to continue filling holes.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
The Cardinals history has cost us Vonnie Holliday.
We need to just accept that and move on.

We shouldn't let this guy come in and poison the locker room with his "commitment to winning" crap. He's been here for all of one day, gave an uninspiring interview, and left asap. What the hell does he know about the organization?

The last two years have definately seen a reversal of many Cardinal trends. Either you can sell that to a guy, or you can't. If a guy makes up his mind before hand, what can you do?

Here's my gut feeling on Vonnie Holliday:

Does anyone here honestly think this guy's going to take any responsibility for his play on the field?
When / If the chips are down, he's gonna go Kwamie Lassiter on everything under the sun, except for himself.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11

Screw this guy.

I don't blame him for trying to get the best deal he can out of free agency. If he signs here I think he instantly helps this team. I still hope he will sign here.

If you think we will add "QUALITY VETERAN" depth at 4-5 postions from June 1st cuts I think you are in for a big disappointment. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of "quality veterans" will get cut on June 1st and from that group 4-5 of them will want to sign with the Cardinals.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
If you think we will add "QUALITY VETERAN" depth at 4-5 postions from June 1st cuts I think you are in for a big disappointment. I find it hard to believe that a bunch of "quality veterans" will get cut on June 1st and from that group 4-5 of them will want to sign with the Cardinals.

Fair enough, and you're right. But at this point that may be the only choice we have.

An older list:

Jamal Anderson, RB, Atlanta $2 million $1.5 million
John Fina, LT, Buffalo $3 million $5,693,526
Jay Riemersma, TE, Buffalo $2.525 million $1,372,000
Darnay Scott, WR, Cincinnati $3.2 million $0
Charlie Batch, QB, Detroit $2 million $4,916,853
Herman Moore, WR, Detroit $750,000 $4,015,256
James Stewart, RB, Detroit $4.15 million $2.3 million
Antonio Freeman, WR, Green Bay $4.3 million $4,285,716
Keenan McCardell, WR, Jacksonville $2.95 million $2.815 million
Hardy Nickerson, LB, Jacksonville $4.36 million $2.9 million
Derrick Alexander, WR, Kansas City $750,000 $2,548,336
Andy Katzenmoyer, LB, New England $759,212 $0
Keith Mitchell, LB, New Orleans $1.95 million $405,000
Toby Gowin, P, New Orleans $665,000 $0
Glenn Parker, *, NY Giants $1.4 million $1,053,429
Ray Brown, *, San Francisco $1.530 million $2,369,502
Junior Bryant, DE, San Francisco $650,000 $2,904,763
Marco Coleman, DE, Washington $4,005,760 $3.8838 million
Ethan Albright, OL, Washigton $650,000 $50,000
Donovan Greer, CB, Washington $800,000 $133,333
Jay Williams, DE, Carolina $1.75 million $0
Mike Jones, LB, Pittsburgh $750,000 $83,333

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i say if he can help us (which i think he can) sign him and be happy with him.

i laugh at the comment that his "commitment to winning" attitude will poison the lockerroom. that was hilarious.

can you a blame a guy for wanting to see if he can play for a commensurate salary for a team other than the cards? really? i mean, he looks at our history and it's bleak. even if you look at the "new things" the cards have done the last two years it still can all boil down to 5-11. new cards commitment to winning or not, 5-11 ain't winning.

i don't fault a single player that visits, gets an offer and decides to go elsewhere. if you could get a slightly worse financial deal from a better employer, wouldn't you? i know i would.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't blame him for trying to get the best deal he can out of free agency. If he signs here I think he instantly helps this team. I still hope he will sign here.
I felt that way too up to the KC visit - when Holliday implied the Cardinals lacked a "commitment to winning" and, instead of arriving at a decision (which he said he'd do) decided to jerk us around some more.

I no longer think he "instantly helps this team." I think his negative presence could very well poison it.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is time to move on from Holliday also. He has had more than enough time to make a decision. We need to look elsewhere for help on our DL.

so far away

Overpaid Rookie
Reaction score
I say we throw a little more money at him, I'm tired of having "great lockerroom" guys and "guys with great motors", we need some friggin talent!!! You can't hope that a pass rusher gets cut on June 1 (he might think we're not committed to winning either IF "he" even gets cut in the first place) and you can't hope that the draft goes our way either, I think everyone is in agreement that the draft is a total crap shoot. Talent wins football games more than attitude. When draft day comes and we're sitting at 6 I'd like to have options instead of having to take someone just because we have a major hole to fill. Rice said a lot of crap while he was here and I hate his ME ME ME attitude but as much as I hate to admit it....I SURE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE HIM INSTEAD OF WAKEFIELD!!!