Even their fans are a bit depressing.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clipfan12may12,1,2284503.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

Clipper Fan Along for Ride of His Life

Carl Cook is homeless, but the longtime supporter spends a third of his income on tickets to every home game and rides his bicycle to get there.

By Jerry Crowe, Times Staff Writer
May 12, 2006

Carl Cook is not a typical Clipper season-ticket holder.

For one thing, he's homeless.

For another, he owns no car.

Nor is he licensed to drive.

But Cook, 46, nevertheless is unflagging in his support of the Clippers, who return to Staples Center tonight for Game 3 of their Western Conference semifinals series against the Phoenix Suns. Putting mettle to pedal, he rides a bicycle to the arena from his home base in Marina del Rey, if not farther, game after game after game.

While other season-seat subscribers might sip vintage wine, knock back imported beer or nosh crudites before games, Cook chokes down exhaust.

Atop a blue-and-white, one-speed Trek Classic beach cruiser, a wire basket in front crammed with Clipper gear, he navigates traffic-clogged Mid-City streets as he makes his way downtown during rush hour, then retraces his tire tracks back to the marina late at night.

Round trip, depending on where he starts: 28 to 36 miles.

No wonder Sterling Dortch, a Clipper account executive who deals most directly with Cook, described him as "probably our most unique fan."

Certainly he is among the few who spend about one-third of their incomes on tickets to basketball games. Cook, who bunks down most nights on a friend's sailboat or in a nearby laundromat, said he makes $30 to $40 a job detailing cars near Los Angeles International Airport and $10 an hour as an attendant at a Manhattan Beach carwash.

His annual income, he said, is probably less than $10,000.

And yet he spent about $3,300 on tickets this season, sitting floor level near the tunnel where the Clippers make their entrance.

"He just eats, sleeps, lives Clippers," said the middle of his three sisters, Jody Cook of Oceanside. "Every time he comes to visit, he's always in a T-shirt or a sweatshirt, something Clipper-related. And whenever I talk to him, during the season or not, he talks about the Clippers.

"I've never seen anything like him, especially to hang in there with that team, because they've not been a very successful team. …

"It's odd, but it's his life."

Said Cook: "They bring me happiness."

jibikao

Reaction score
Talk about hardcore fan. I think those Clipper players should donate him some money.

RichDawg

Reaction score
So how does he spend the other 2/3 of his income? By going to Dodger games and Disneyland?

Don't know if this is supposed to be a feel-good story, but I don't think the rest of homeless America would find this article amusing.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that's awesome and just like what that Clipper exec. said..."unique". Way to go Carl! :)

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
Folster - if the guy isn't completely mental or drugged out, he can shower at the Y, or a public pool.
Not all homeless fit the typical stereotype.
The fact that he goes to a large public gathering points to him NOT being the ultra alienated and paranoid that a lot of homeless are.
Also - a lot of homeless have a phobia about being inside buildings.
You are free to take recess now.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
heh I bet it is fun watching him freak out when the mascot shoots those free tee-shirts into the crowd.

Nash

Reaction score
The Clipper's sales guy who talked about this "unique" fan ought to be ashamed of his org. As bad as the Clips has sucked for the past decade, they take pride in sucking the blood of 1 among probably a total of 10 fans who's stuck by them.
Dangit ! its a homeless dude. Throw him a few free tickets, will ya! you're paying your team in hundreds of millions!
atleast give him a better paying job at your stadium!

Last edited:

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
The least the Clippers can do is name this guy "Fan of the Year" and offer him season tickets for life. He deserves it.

HooverDam

Reaction score
^I wouldnt be surprised if the Clips have already offered him free tickets and he turned them down. A lot of the more stable homeless people I've come in contact with often don't want pity charity.

Either way, this dude seems pretty awesome and NOT depressing

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is he is probably a hippy/free spirit type who would consider our regimented lives very depressing.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
justAndy said:
Folster - if the guy isn't completely mental or drugged out, he can shower at the Y, or a public pool.
Not all homeless fit the typical stereotype.
The fact that he goes to a large public gathering points to him NOT being the ultra alienated and paranoid that a lot of homeless are.
Also - a lot of homeless have a phobia about being inside buildings.
You are free to take recess now.

Don't be so condescending. First of all, my comment was a joke. Second of all, I deal with homeless people quite often at my work. I have yet to meet one that smelled pleasant; especially one that rides his bike around town in near triple digit temperatures. He obviously has mental problems. The fact that he is homeless and spends 1/3 of his income on Clippers tickets should give you a clue on his mental state. He probably spends the other 2/3's on meth. (Note: last sentence was a joke).

Lighten-up and quit being so damn PC.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He obviously has mental problems.

How can you be so sure? Many homeless are mentally ill, but many are not.

The fact that he is homeless and spends 1/3 of his income on Clippers tickets should give you a clue on his mental state.

With his income, he couldn't afford a home anyway. Being homeless sucks, but it doesn't negate your existence. I personally wouldn't spend 1/3 of my income on entertainment, but there are lots of people who do, at all socioeconomic levels.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
HooverDam said:
^I wouldnt be surprised if the Clips have already offered him free tickets and he turned them down. A lot of the more stable homeless people I've come in contact with often don't want pity charity.

Either way, this dude seems pretty awesome and NOT depressing

um, i would take free suns tickets if they offered, and i have a place to live.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
elindholm said:
He obviously has mental problems.

How can you be so sure? Many homeless are mentally ill, but many are not.

The fact that he is homeless and spends 1/3 of his income on Clippers tickets should give you a clue on his mental state.

With his income, he couldn't afford a home anyway. Being homeless sucks, but it doesn't negate your existence. I personally wouldn't spend 1/3 of my income on entertainment, but there are lots of people who do, at all socioeconomic levels.

Exactly. Most homeless people are mentally ill, however most don’t have season tickets to a professional basketball team either. I lived in Alaska for a while and met many people that just don’t fit into most people’s “MO” of living life. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this guy was one of the happiest guys in LA. Just living life and enjoying a playoff run of one of his passions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05