Explain: Goran Dragic's Fan Status

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I'm now Team Dragic but its more due to the fact that Bledsoe having regressed than Dragic actually overtaking him due to Goran's play himself.

And Dragic has not regressed to an even worse extent?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And Dragic has not regressed to an even worse extent?
Goran Dragic is no longer the lead Point Guard or even the backup Point Guard.

You can't call no longer playing your best position regressing. The Coach regressed.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

You can't call no longer playing your best position regressing. The Coach regressed.

Hornacek's offensive "system" (I hesitate calling it a system because it's essentially a free for fall where anyone can do anything they want) relies too much on a stretch 4.

IMO Hornacek needs to adapt to the players he now has.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And PER is an awful, ESPN created crap way of judging players btw. Almost worse than +/- stats.

I happen to believe that +/- stats, over a reasonable period of time, tell the true story far more often than not.

Steve

I think Per is helpful to paint a picture like a single color is helpful to an overall painting. PER by itself is a slippery slope. However, when used with things like +/-, standard stats, shot selections, actual observation it can't support what picture the other combined statistics point out.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He played more than half the season last year in the same role he is now and was thrived.

And its not the coaches fault we have Thomas.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He played more than half the season last year in the same role he is now and was thrived.

And its not the coaches fault we have Thomas.
And it is certainly not Goran's fault.

OK, it is the Front Office's fault that Goran was demoted, not that he regressed. And now he wants out.

So far, Dragic and IT are giving their all on the court, despite their displeasure. Getting back to the title of this thread, that is a major reason why fans haven't turned on them.

By his demeanor and inconsistent performance, the same can't be said for Eric Bledsoe. And his (and his agent's) keeping the Suns on a string didn't help.

If Bledsoe had signed earlier, would we have signed IT? If Bledsoe had been wanted elsewhere, Goran and IT could have made the Suns gimmick of two lead Point Guards work a lot better than having three.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

OK, it is the Front Office's fault that Goran was demoted, not that he regressed. And now he wants out.

So far, Dragic and IT are giving their all on the court, despite their displeasure. Getting back to the title of this thread, that is a major reason why fans haven't turned on them.

By his demeanor and inconsistent performance, the same can't be said for Eric Bledsoe. And his (and his agent's) keeping the Suns on a string didn't help.

If Bledsoe had signed earlier, would we have signed IT? If Bledsoe had been wanted elsewhere, Goran and IT could have made the Suns gimmick of two lead Point Guards work a lot better than having three.

You know, I was never sold on the idea of Bledsoe/ Dragic front court, but it really wasn't until free agency that I started hoping the Suns would let him go. Don't get me wrong, I think Dragic is a better player, but at the end of the day, that's a small part of why I prefer Dragic to Bledsoe. He loves the city and the organization, and he gives it everything he's got every single seconds of every single game.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think if Goran and Bledsoe did a "Freaky Friday" swap and one looked like the other I think you'd dog Goran in the Bledsoe body for his "demeanor and inconsistent performance". I really don't understand how people gripe about body language on this team and pretend as though Dragic is out there playing with passion and never looking like he does not want to be there... that guy is the KING of the "sour face" on our roster. Dragic looks annoyed, plays like crap and the line I hear is that its the fault of those around him, Bledsoe looks annoyed and he is a cancer. And who hasn't been inconsistent on this team? This is the junk that grinds my gears... find legit reasons, not some nonsense about him not having a facial expression that pleases you as much as Dragic's.

Bledsoe has his actual faults. He makes dumb, dumb, dumb turnovers, he absolutely has to stop with the jump passing. He is inconsistent (but no more or less than the other guards) and he sometimes fails to push the pace (that is one area Dragic has over him big time), his half court game is lacking but that is a problem the entire team shares.

Its hard to make a statistical argument where Bledsoe is not currently the best of our 3 headed PGs, and most of those stats ignore defense, where he is immeasurably better than the other options.

I agree the 3 PG thing is not working, but if people think ditching Bledsoe is somehow a solution then they're not paying attention.

We've been over it before, but IT was almost certainly getting signed regardless of how early or late Bledsoe signed. IT was not insurance, he was part of the plan, unfortunately the plan isn't working.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
IT was not insurance, he was part of the plan, unfortunately the plan isn't working.
So at least one of them has to go. Isn't a high-turnover Point Guard high on the list? It is an oxymoron.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So at least one of them has to go. Isn't a high-turnover Point Guard high on the list? It is an oxymoron.

Back to the double standard... he and Dragic have very similar assist to turnover numbers.

Thomas has to be top of the list IMO. We've seen Dragic and Bledsoe thrive together, Thomas meanwhile is a 5'9" shooting guard who seems to make everyone around him worse.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the double standard... he and Dragic have very similar assist to turnover numbers.

Thomas has to be top of the list IMO. We've seen Dragic and Bledsoe thrive together, Thomas meanwhile is a 5'9" shooting guard who seems to make everyone around him worse.

Maybe but it seems to me those same players look pretty bad when IT is in civilian clothes too.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe but it seems to me those same players look pretty bad when IT is in civilian clothes too.

Steve

The last few games before the losing streak and the first few games of the losing streak (tough loses vs good teams) I think the team was playing some of its best ball of the year. The 5 games before Thomas returned we were averaging 23.5 assists per, 5 games since its down to 19. Bledsoe and Dragic were playing a lot better while Thomas was out.

I don't think we're world beaters or a necessarily a playoff team without him, but the Thomas/Green ISO show kills ball movement and even once they're out of the game it seems like guys have a hard time getting reengaged in the offense. Last year we had great ball movement, even if we didn't put up huge assist numbers it was still an offense in motion. This year we have spells where guys move around but it does not seem to last, and if Thomas or Green touch the ball then its over. Green has always been a gunner but he seems much worse this season. Maybe its that he is playing for a contract, maybe its playing so much along side Thomas that moving off the ball and passing seem out of style. I dont know, but those guys have to be blazing hot to help this team because they kill the team in every other facet.