extend Green

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we want to show the preimer free agents that the Cardinals are serious about winning next year would it be a good idea to extend Green for another 4 years? Would this show that the team is committed to winning?

If not why would free agents come here knowing that a new coach and staff would be here in 2007. It might be the right thing to do now.

az240z

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
true, but the talk is that if he doesn't do well[?] he would be fired. Mybe 4 years is too long perhaps a 2 year extension?

az240z

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
az240zz said:
true, but the talk is that if he doesn't do well[?] he would be fired. Mybe 4 years is too long perhaps a 2 year extension?

az240z

When he wins, 11 wins in 2 seasons is nothing to write home about.

The honeymoon period is over he has to win and win now.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Lets see how the team performs this year.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
im the biggest "give Denny time" guy you'll find, but i realize that it would be ludicrious to extend a guy who has won 11 games in 2 years.....

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No friggin way you extend green. He barely warrants being given this next year. He must improve tremendously.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Totally agree.

I don't think it's necessary to issue any arbitrary "win or you're gone" ultimatums prior to next season, but I do think we'd be naiive not to think it's time to fish or cut bait.

That said - the time to extend anyone's contract is after they've accomplished something and not before. Jury's still out.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az240zz said:
If we want to show the preimer free agents that the Cardinals are serious about winning next year would it be a good idea to extend Green for another 4 years? Would this show that the team is committed to winning?

If not why would free agents come here knowing that a new coach and staff would be here in 2007. It might be the right thing to do now.

az240z

So we've won 11 games in 2 years and to show free agents we're committed to winning we should extend the guy who coached those 2 years?

Green is a proven coach, but he hasn't done it yet here, extending him now would be crazy. He's drafted well and he does have us moving in the right direction but eventually that's going to have to translate into wins on the field if he wants an extension.

seesred

Reaction score
You have to see what he puts together this year in the new stadium before you can ven think about an extension. I like Green a lot. He is by far the best talent evaluator we have had here since the first year. He is in the critical third year of a five year deal. They key to winning big time is tae stability of the coaching staff IMO. If you look at the great teams they all have one thing in common, they built the team and kept the coach who built it if they could. I hope he is around ten years from now that would just mean we area very good team.

GBR

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
az240zz said:

az240z

No. He has not earned an extension at this time. Show me some results this year. If he has another 6 win season he should be shown th door. Win 10 games then give him an extension or new contract. Not many coaches last 5 years with his record in AZ.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Totally agree.

I don't think it's necessary to issue any arbitrary "win or you're gone" ultimatums prior to next season, but I do think we'd be naiive not to think it's time to fish or cut bait.

That said - the time to extend anyone's contract is after they've accomplished something and not before. Jury's still out.

The Cubs are not extending Dusty Baker's contract and he is in his final year. If he does not make the playoffs he will probably be out of here and he knows it. The Cubs at least had a winning record with Baker which Green has not come close to.

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
john h said:
The Cubs are not extending Dusty Baker's contract and he is in his final year. If he does not make the playoffs he will probably be out of here and he knows it. The Cubs at least had a winning record with Baker which Green has not come close to.

I'm confused. I mean is the Head Coach the missing piece to the puzzle here? I don't think Vince Lombardi could have made some of the recent Cardinals teams win. I'm not saying give Green a lifetime contract, but to me he should be given every opportunity to get the job done. Changing coaches at this point is just going to put us back to square one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser