Favorite show no longer on TV.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
24--- I know it got stale, but still.....
The Killing
Absolutely loved Georgette from Mary Tyler Moore, funny lady.
From waaaay back in the day... Have Gun Will Travel, Sgt Bilko, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Carol Burnett Show, Don Rickles

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
24--- I know it got stale, but still.....
The Killing
Absolutely loved Georgette from Mary Tyler Moore, funny lady.
From waaaay back in the day... Have Gun Will Travel, Sgt Bilko, Gunsmoke, Rawhide, Carol Burnett Show, Don Rickles

I was never a fan of the Phil Silvers Show or Phil Silvers himself for that matter. Other than the pairing with Jonathan Winters in "It's a MMMMW", I never found him funny. But I liked all the other shows you mentioned although Gunsmoke ran several years beyond it's expiration date.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Firefly. Freaking loved that show. Ended too soon. Also, I was freaking pissed when Deadwood went off the air too. Grrrr. Also, though I thought both shows ran their course, loved LOST and Friends.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of the Phil Silvers Show or Phil Silvers himself for that matter. Other than the pairing with Jonathan Winters in "It's a MMMMW", I never found him funny. But I liked all the other shows you mentioned although Gunsmoke ran several years beyond it's expiration date.

Steve

I always thought that about Milton Berle. Never really found him funny. Jackie Gleason, Martha Raye, Steve Allen, SId Caesar, Terry Thomas were people I liked to watch growing up. Red Skelton too.. Didnt see Laugh- In mentioned but it was a kick back in the day.

I never warmed up to Lucille Ball but Ricky Ricardo was one of my favorites also. I now have a good friend who was raised in Panama and he talks like Ricky and I enjoy every minute of it. Says something positive about our higher education system when a poor kid from Panama can earn his way to the US and get degrees in organic chemistry and law.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought that about Milton Berle. Never really found him funny. Jackie Gleason, Martha Raye, Steve Allen, SId Caesar, Terry Thomas were people I liked to watch growing up. Red Skelton too.. Didnt see Laugh- In mentioned but it was a kick back in the day.

Yeah I miss the days of Red Skelton, Laugh-In, Smothers Brothers, Gary Moore, Dean Martin Show, Carol Burnett Show, Colgate Comedy Hour, Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, Pat Paulsen's Half a Comedy Hour, Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, Steve Allen Show and all the other variety shows of the late 50's to mid 70's. Or the one night music/variety shows such as Moving with Nancy (Sinatra).

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I miss the days of Red Skelton, Laugh-In, Smothers Brothers, Gary Moore, Dean Martin Show, Carol Burnett Show, Colgate Comedy Hour, Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour, Pat Paulsen's Half a Comedy Hour, Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, Steve Allen Show and all the other variety shows of the late 50's to mid 70's. Or the one night music/variety shows such as Moving with Nancy (Sinatra).

Steve

I had insomnia one night and stayed up all night watching a Carol Burnett marathon. I got in trouble because I was laughing so hard I woke up the wife.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Three's Company and Charlie's Angels. Jiggle TV at its finest.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
Carnival. It was the first show that HBO got me hooked on. It was stupid good.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone said Firefly and it deserves its place.

24 is my favorite show of all time, so it gets one here too.

The fact that Veronica Mars was only said once (props to you Chaplin) is borderline criminal. Some of the best writing and character arcs in TV history.

I'm so upset with Arrested Development. I can see why they wrote the Netflix series the way that it did, but it almost spoiled it a bit coming back which is sad.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost everyone said Firefly and it deserves its place.

24 is my favorite show of all time, so it gets one here too.

The fact that Veronica Mars was only said once (props to you Chaplin) is borderline criminal. Some of the best writing and character arcs in TV history.

I'm so upset with Arrested Development. I can see why they wrote the Netflix series the way that it did, but it almost spoiled it a bit coming back which is sad.

I was about to correct you as I was positive I'd included it in my list. But on further review... And yes, it was a great show and surely deserves to make the favorite show list. I guess there's just no accounting for taste or memory, whichever one led to VM missing out.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be blasphemy but I never finished the Veronica Mars series. Now my wife wants to finish it and watch the movie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This might be blasphemy but I never finished the Veronica Mars series. Now my wife wants to finish it and watch the movie.

Movie? Not good. TV show? Very good. If you have fluffy Buffy feelings, you should like V Mars series. But even if you like the TV show at a Firefly level, don't expect the movie to match up to Serenity. It falls well short of that standard.

Steve

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie? Not good. TV show? Very good. If you have fluffy Buffy feelings, you should like V Mars series. But even if you like the TV show at a Firefly level, don't expect the movie to match up to Serenity. It falls well short of that standard.

Steve

The movie is good, not Serenity good, but that's a tough act to follow.

Serenity you felt added to the Firefly story whereas VM movie just felt like an extended episode which isn't a bad thing. Especially for a Kickstarter funded movie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie is good, not Serenity good, but that's a tough act to follow.

Serenity you felt added to the Firefly story whereas VM movie just felt like an extended episode which isn't a bad thing. Especially for a Kickstarter funded movie.

I thought the movie felt like the VM series at the start and it felt like a VM episode at the end but the huge in-between area was a really bad stretch of show that I don't ever remember from any VM episode. But I went in with high expectations and that is often the kiss of death.

Steve

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve

Disagree. With all the rehashed sci-fi out there I loved Serenity. It was a good movie IMO. It was hindered a bit in that if you didn't know the show you didn't have the background. At the same time the studio wanted him to write it so you didn't have to watch the show.

Despite that impossible balancing act, I thought Whedon pulled it off beautifully.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deadwood. Amazing show.

Runner ups:

Arrested
Star Trek: Whatever (love them all)
Cosmos
Breaking Bad (too soon?)

Forum statistics

Threads