Final 53

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Longtime lurker but dont post much but thought i would be productive early on a bank holiday and try and predict the final 53 and PS squad , and see how close it is to the end result...( not particularly in depth order)
Feel free to add comments !

WR 5 Larry Fitzgerald Stephen Williams DeMarco Sampson
Andre Roberts Early Doucet
OL 9 Levi Brown D'Anthony Batiste Brandon Keith Jeremy Bridges
Daryn Colledge Deuce Lutui Floyd Womack
Lyle Sendlein Rex Hadnot
TE 4 Todd Heap Jeff King Jim Dray Rob Housler
QB 3 Kevin Kolb John Skelton Richard Bartel
RB 3 Beanie Wells LaRod Stephens-Howling Alfonso Smith
FB 1 Anthony Sherman

I think we go with 5 WR and 4 TE , especially as Housler is essentially a slot WR anyway and Dray could go in as FB.
Still a ? over the 3rd RB though. Will see how cuts go as it looks a bit thin but we could get a good Vet pickup here at the expense of one OL.

Cut
WR Sean Jeffcoat Aaron Nichols Daiveun CurryChapman
Chansi Stuckey Max Komar
OL D.J. Young Cliff Louis Jason Speredon Eric Mensik Ben Claxton
TE Stephen Spach Stephen Skelton
RB/FB Charles Ali William Powell Reagan Mauia
QB Brodie Croyle

Komar hasn't shown much while Sampson has shown up in Camp apparently so he gets the nod here. Think Hadnot could cover Claxton as backup C with O'Dowd on the PS as a nod to the future.

DL 6 Calais Campbell Darnell Dockett Vonnie Holliday Nick Eason
Dan Williams David Carter
OLB 5 Joey Porter O'Brien Schofield Will Davis
Clark Haggans Sam Acho
ILB 4 Daryl Washington Reggie Walker
Paris Lenon Stewart Bradley
CB 5 Greg Toler Richard Marshall
A.J. Jefferson Patrick Peterson Michael Adams
SS 5 Adrian Wilson Hamza Abdullah
FS Kerry Rhodes Rashad Johnson Matt Ware

Cut
DL Ronald Talley Jeremy Navarre
LB Curtis Gatewood Kendall Smith Duke Lemmens Pago Togafau
CB Thad Turner Bryant Nnabuife
S Tommy Irvin

Think Bradley will be starting sooner rather than later. Not happy with the ILB depth though. Togafau will yo-yo in and out of the squad am sure but a vet ILB pickup here would be good at the expense of OLB Will Davis , (or Obiozor). I included him in the 53 as I think he is more talented than the backup ILbs.
Safety is dodgy , especially with Wilson. If he doesn't come back healthy we will need to look at this too as the rest won't be good enough.

K Jay Feely
P Ben Graham
LS Mike Leach

Cut
P Dave Zastudil

Practice squad - hopefully these all qualify !
Marshay Green Quan Sturdivant Isaiah Williams Brandon Sharpe Kris O'Dowd Tom Pestock Jared Campbell Ricky Lumpkin

What do you think?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
works for me...I like Alfonso Smith because he is a back who is young, and I think youth is key in the position but if a quality runningback becomes available in cuts that still has some juice left, then the Cards would appear to pursue 'em. We are not going to get a world beater at this point but a change of pace back to Beanie would be nice

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pete, welcome and good job. On offense,coaches seem to like Claxton, but I could see it going your way. If Claxton stays, I'm guessing Womack goes. Agree on QB's, WR's and TE's. With only one FB, I see us keeping four RB's, with the fourth being a trade or a waiver wire pickup. Powell might make the PS.
Defense, I agree with DL, ILB and CB. I see Porter as a surprise cut with Obiozor backing up Schofield on the right side. And also see just four OLB's with Davis being cut. Also, only four safeties with Wilson (assuming he's healthy), Rhodes and Johnson. The fourth might be off the WW.
Thanks for your efforts.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good work!

My only thought is that they'll add a 4th running back and go with eight on the OL, dropping Batiste.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nice analysis.

I agree with Garth about Claxton making the cut, although I predict Womack stays and Batiste goes. Not that I think Womack should stay, but I think Whis will be more comfortable keeping the vet around.

I would also like to keep Cyril Obiozor over Will Davis. Davis offers little in the way of pass rushing (or anything, really), and Obiozor has at least flashed the ability to get to the QB. Plus, Acho seems to have passed Davis as the backup on the strong side, reducing the need to keep Davis even further.

Overall, excellent work. I hope to see you with more posts soon.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty confident that we keep 6 WRs.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I hope Mauia doesn't get the axe, plus that's who Beanie has been running behind this pre-season in the 2 back set. I might just have a lot of aloha for the guy, but I think we should keep him and the rookie if we plan on using FBs this year. Leave Dray at TE, other than that I really like your final line up, nice work.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, Max Komar is a lock to make this team. He was playing on every special teams unit Saturday, first string, except for punt returns. I think Whis sees him as his new Sean Morey. meanwhile, I didn't see Jim Dray on special teams. That deep into the roster, it's special teams that makes the difference.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think we cut Chaunsi Stuckey and I'd hesitate to cut Mauia. I'd also like to see us keep Sturdivant, I think we might lose him on the way to the practice squad.

That said, I'm not sure who we cut instead... may Jim Dray, D'Anthony Batiste, Will Davis and/or one of the back up free safeties.

I think the cut to about 60 is very easy though.

Nice first post!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
IMO, Max Komar is a lock to make this team. He was playing on every special teams unit Saturday, first string, except for punt returns. I think Whis sees him as his new Sean Morey. meanwhile, I didn't see Jim Dray on special teams. That deep into the roster, it's special teams that makes the difference.

Komar was waived/injured today.

OP
OP
L

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Final 53 ?

Thanks for the welcome!

I just hope i didn't jinx the roster.

Am gutted for Toler- i love his style of play but glad we signed a vet CB who seems a solid player. I think that is what we can hope for now from the cuts - solid blue collar players , bit of vet experience is what we need at CB.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

I just hope i didn't jinx the roster.

Am gutted for Toler- i love his style of play but glad we signed a vet CB who seems a solid player. I think that is what we can hope for now from the cuts - solid blue collar players , bit of vet experience is what we need at CB.
Are you in London England?

OP
OP
L

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Are you in London England?

Yes indeed, from the UK.
I live for sites like this which give a real insight to the Cards.
We get good coverage over here on Sky - Murdoch's satellite channel - but it's not enough!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed, from the UK.
I live for sites like this which give a real insight to the Cards.
We get good coverage over here on Sky - Murdoch's satellite channel - but it's not enough!
I sent you a PM.

OP
OP
L

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
Just realised i cant pm back as I haven't got to 15 posts yet!
Have asked one of the mods to reply for me.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we keep four TE's, two of which are VG pass catchers (Heap and Housler), I doubt VERY MUCH that we keep more than five WR's. Naturally if we only go with three TE's than six WR's are a possibility. My guess is four TE's and five WR's.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we keep four TE's, two of which are VG pass catchers (Heap and Housler), I doubt VERY MUCH that we keep more than five WR's. Naturally if we only go with three TE's than six WR's are a possibility. My guess is four TE's and five WR's.

QB: 3
FB: 1
RB: 3
TE: 4
WR: 6
OL: 8

(25)

If they go with 9 OL or 4 RB's, then I would guess it would be 5 WR.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Best thread in mucho months. Agree with just about everything said (including nerves over releasing Mau'ia).

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Found this post on the Footballfutures board interesting:

I went through the roster today and came away with 46 guys I feel are locks barring injury(Please god no more injuries..) To make this roster. I also figure an outside back will come in, leaving 6 spots open on this roster. I went through who i thought would win those spots and couldn't make it work. So, here are 14 guys I feel need to make it happen this week to win 1 of those 6 jobs:

1. Alphonso Smith
2. Reagan Maui'a
3. Jim Dray
4. Stephen Spach
5. Floyd Womack
6. Kenny Iwebema
7. Quan Sturdivant
8. Reggie Walker
9. Will Davis
10. Cyril Obiozor
11. Marshay Green
12. Fred Bennett
13. Matt Ware
14. Hamza Abdullah

I'd list my 6 favorites but they'd all blow out a knee, or look terrible Thursday, or get arrested for not dressing well enough for North Scottsdale.

Last edited:

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I tried another way, who for sure is being cut.
need 80-53=27

I also believe that the cardinals will pick up an RB and/or CB
so look for 29

S. Jeffcoat
D.J Young
K. O'Dowd
C. Louis
T. Pestock
S. Skelton
A. Nichols
B. Nnabuife(PS)
J. Navarre
R. Kumpkin
T. Turner
K. Smith
P. Togafau
Q. Sturdivant(PS)
J. Campbell(PS)
D. Zastudil

16 total need some more.
Positions
WR - (keep 6)
I Williams(PS) - odd man out right now.

OL - (keep 9)
F Womack - odd man out

TE - (keep 4)
Between Dray and Spach
Spach - odd man out

QB - (keep 3)
Between Skelton and Croyle.
Skelton's injury could be the difference?

FB - (keep 1)
I dont think Sherman makes it thru waivers to PS.
R. Maui'a gone.

RB - (keep 3)
between A. Smith and W. Powell
W. Powell(PS)
or both could be gone with bring someone in.

26 offense.
22 gone so far need some more on defense.
I have to think about the 24 defense players.

Last edited by a moderator:

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
From Sando on Aug 29

2010-11 Arizona Cardinals Roster
Pos. Current 2010 initial 53
QB 4 3
RB 6 5
WR 9 6
TE 6 3
OL 14 8