finley update

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Compare that to the Nash campaign, oh, right, there wasn't one. Why, you ask. Nash said if he was to win, it would not be because he had a, "scintillating DVD".

That's pretty cool. But remember that Stoudemire won Rookie of the Year partly on the basis of his scintillating DVD, which almost everyone on this board was in favor of, so it works both ways.

take this unbiased thinking somewhere else loser. This is a Phoenix Suns message Board!

:)

PS - don't forget that there was also that really cool PDF file with all of the quotes about Amare Stoudemire from other players, coaches, etc.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I doubt the Suns will have to do much for Amare's MVP run considering how often the team will be on national TV. None the less, I'm ready to start now.

Amare for MVP

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I doubt the Suns will have to do much for Amare's MVP run considering how often the team will be on national TV. None the less, I'm ready to start now.

Amare for MVP

Sold! ;) You got my vote!

As for all this bashing on KG, i think its kind of baseless. All great players have a desire to win and win at all costs. KG once he had some actual players around him took his team to the WCF (and although we are going the next 8 years in a row, so far thats all Amare has done as well) KG is a winner despite his inability to get that team a ring yet and he plays the right way (playing great D, passing to the open teammate instead of taking his own more difficult shot, rebounding better than anyone else over the last 3 years) plus he is the best shooting 7 footer not named Dirk. There are flaws to his game but he has done well with little actual strength (at least compared to Amare and TD) to speak of.

The contention that he doesnt get along with teammates is unwarrented as well. Sczerbiak thinks to highly of himself (due to his one all star appearence), and i dont remember rick rickert being much of a integral player on the team. Players actually come to play with KG (see Cassell, Spree, and new coach Dwayne Casey) and he does have an indomitable personality. But so do all the greats. You all realize that Amare and Steph were not the best of friends and w/ the new revelation about Amare getting on Joe in the Miami game (BTW this is what sold me on that Joe had to go) its safe to say that Amare demands big time play from his teammates. Much like Bird, Jordan, and Isaih. Anything that gets in the way of these guys winning ends up getting you punched in the head 9 times out of 10...(see Kerr, Steve and Laimbeer, Bill) KG is no different.....

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Finley signs elsewhere, there are still some options. This has been arguably the deepest free agent SG class in awhile and there are still names like Demarr Johnson, Latrell Sprewell, and Damon Jones out there. Although Jones looks like he'll end up in Cleveland and no one here would like to see Spree here I would go after Johnson who wouldn't cost us anything in a trade, and his size and game are a little similiar to that other Johnson we got rid of.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Is Michael Finley Miami Bound?

I dont think this is a link, but its worth watching. Buch's does not sound so positive about our chances of obtaining Finley although he thinks PHX is the best fit. I wonder if the teams that were conceding him to Miami included PHX?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:

Is Michael Finley Miami Bound?

I dont think this is a link, but its worth watching. Buch's does not sound so positive about our chances of obtaining Finley although he thinks PHX is the best fit. I wonder if the teams that were conceding him to Miami included PHX?

The day before this little video, there was another where Bucher was pretty certain that Finley was going to Detroit, so I wouldn't read too much into what he says.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Much like Bird, Jordan, and Isaih. Anything that gets in the way of these guys winning ends up getting you punched in the head 9 times out of 10...

How many times did Bird punch a teammate in the head? I hadn't heard of that.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Much like Bird, Jordan, and Isaih. Anything that gets in the way of these guys winning ends up getting you punched in the head 9 times out of 10...

Ok i never read anything about bird punching anyone in the head (like KG did w. Rickert) but everyone knows Larry was a tough SOB and if you were not with him, you were against him. Plus its not like the guy was not a volatile guy. Remember him and Dr. J?

I think the C's kept everything in house if their were problems, but that does'nt mean everyone fell in line all the time. Saying that i only referenced Jordan and Isaih in the parentheses b/c of my inability to remeber a scuffle between Bird and anyone on the Celtics. But more than likely im sure he took a swing at Ainge at some point...:)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Since he was a former garbage man, I'm sure Bird took a swing at someone sometime! :thumbup: (Don't know what his being a garbage man has to do with anything, it's just a tidbit most people don't remember about him!)

Also, I wouldn't doubt if Bird took a swing at Isiah, either! ;)

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:

Larry Bird might not have done it, but Michael Jordan sure did. He actually punched his own teammate as opposed to some scrub trying to make the team like KG did.

Joe Mama

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score
Back to Finley, more updates for today.
Much of the same with a few more details added.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/tribune_050824.html

Suns Woo Finley

By Mike Tulumello
East Valley Tribune
Aug. 24, 2005
The performance, it is said, went well. But whether the show sold Michael Finley remains to be seen. The Suns made their presentation Tuesday afternoon in Chicago, trying to convince the former Suns and Dallas Mavericks off-guard to rejoin his original team.

Meanwhile, the Suns appear to be close to acquiring James Jones, a restricted free agent who played last season for Indiana, in a sign-and-trade deal, a league source said. Bringing the off-guard Jones on board wouldn’t preclude the Suns from signing Finley, the source said.

In the Jones deal, the Suns would use about $2 million of the $6 million exception to the salary cap they gained in the Joe Johnson trade.

As for Finley, convincing the free agent to sign on for roughly $1 million would help salve the wounds of a rough offseason in which the Suns unexpectedly lost the rising Johnson to free agency.

Finley said he will make up his mind by next week, said Suns owner Robert Sarver, who was part of the entourage. Finley has reportedly narrowed his choices to Miami, Phoenix and NBA champion San Antonio.

The Suns presented Finley with one of his old jerseys — the Suns drafted him in June 1995 then traded him to Dallas in December 1996 as part of the deal that landed Jason Kidd — and printed up a new one with his name on it.

They also gave him about 5,000 e-mails from fans encouraging him to return to Arizona.

Suns officials believe they’ve got a shot at Finley, despite reports he is leaning toward joining the Heat. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have sent a delegation that also included Amaré Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and new guard Raja Bell, plus club president Bryan Colangelo and coach Mike D’Antoni.

"Amaré was great," Sarver said of the rising superstar’s pitch to Finley.

The Suns’ general message: "He would be an important piece on a team that could win a championship," Sarver said. "It would be a perfect fit."

Overall, "It went really well," Sarver said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0824finley0824.html

Meeting pleasing for Suns
Agent: Phoenix ties are factor

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 24, 2005 12:00 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Michael Finley didn't say no. At this point in his recruiting process, that is the best the Suns could hope for after meeting with the free agent Tuesday in Chicago.

A Suns entourage of Managing Partner Robert Sarver, President Bryan Colangelo, coach Mike D'Antoni and players Amaré Stoudemire, Shawn Marion and Raja Bell met Finley with stacks of fans' e-mail pleas in tow.

Phoenix guard Steve Nash, who is on a family vacation, has talked to his close friend about returning to Phoenix. [/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
OAS_AD('BoxAd')
[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
"It went well," Colangelo said of the two-hour talk.

"It was productive," Finley's agent, Henry Thomas, said. "Obviously, they'd like for him to come back home to his first NBA team and win an NBA championship.

"He has always enjoyed coming back there to play where the fans have always received him warmly."

The Suns are limited by the salary cap to a $1.1 million veteran's minimum offer, as opposed to the $5 million, midlevel exception Miami can give. The Heat met with Finley on Monday in Chicago.

Finley likely will meet with San Antonio and Minnesota, each of which has about $2.5 million to offer, and will use the weekend to decide.

Thomas said Finley's relationships with Nash, Colangelo and Bell and his familiarity with Phoenix are factors. Finley played in Phoenix as a rookie and for 27 games in late 1996 before going to Dallas in the Jason Kidd trade.

Bell, who played a season in Dallas with Finley, said the group expressed how similar Phoenix's system is to the one Finley thrived in when Don Nelson was Dallas' coach.

"Robert, Bryan and Mike put up a strong argument for why we need him and why he'd be a great fit," Bell said.[/font]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake