Fire Porter!!!

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
If you watch porter during TO's he spends his time saying "we need energy" and he's always clapping. I don't think this team needs a cheerleader, they need a motivator and a punisher like Popavich.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Just thought I'd bump this - in case someone new visits the site we want them to see it right up near the top of the list.

Chaplin,
When a Suns coach makes you yearn for the days of Frank Johnson, you know he's bad.

Now this the unkindest cut yet! (I hope you are not really yearning for the days of FJ - Porter is bad but he isn't Frank Johnson bad.)

BTW, the Bilas article is great. Like Eric said, it's fundamentals of the game more than toughness - but then there is no one tougher to play against than an opponent that's rock solid in his fundamentals. The saddest thing about reading it is that it is also a list of what the Suns players, by and large, have never been good at.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just thought I'd bump this - in case someone new visits the site we want them to see it right up near the top of the list.

Chaplin,

Now this the unkindest cut yet! (I hope you are not really yearning for the days of FJ - Porter is bad but he isn't Frank Johnson bad.)

BTW, the Bilas article is great. Like Eric said, it's fundamentals of the game more than toughness - but then there is no one tougher to play against than an opponent that's rock solid in his fundamentals. The saddest thing about reading it is that it is also a list of what the Suns players, by and large, have never been good at.
:yeahthat:
Very good read. A few fundamentals & skills of toughness the SUNS have always lacked(since i began watching closely around '88) that have always driven me too the point of grinding my teeth are:
#1) Setting solid picks and screens.
#2) Committing good,strong,legal hard fouls at the rim when the
opponent's drive's down the lane.
#3) Communicate on defense......also on offense when the ballhandler has
a guy streaking up from behind him to get a clean strip.
These 3 things in particular drive me crazy.
You must be registered for see images

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I still can't get over this:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/45619

The most startling things about Golden State's 3-point barrage that buried Phoenix on Wednesday were Terry Porter's postgame comment about Azubuike ("We didn't expect that. He hadn't that many 3s this year," he said of the NBA's third-ranked 3-point shooter) and the lack of adjustments once they started following. It seemed as though the Suns continued to go under screens most of the night and the only real change was a zone against a perimeter shooting team.

Why the HELL do you go zone on a hot 3 ball team?! Why do the players listen to that? Why hackabowen vs the spurs? This is bizarro basketball.

Also,
* The Suns did not practice Thursday.

SunsFanVegas

Registered
Reaction score
That quote by Porter only solidifies that he is NOT a good coach and should know his opponent before hand. To say that he didn't expect them to make 3's and that Azibuke is ranked #3 in the league just makes Porter look even more stupid and unprepared than we thought. No wonder why this team shows no effort. How can they when the leader is a total moron and has no clue. The players should just go on the court and do what they want to do, play their way and let the chips fall. At least they may get some fun out of it, because it is extremely clear that this team is not going anywhere this year except the lottery with the current regime at the helm.

Last edited:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That quote by Porter only solidifies that he is NOT a good coach and should know his opponent before hand. To say that he didn't expect them to make 3's and that Azibuke is ranked #3 in the league just makes Porter look even more stupid and unprepared than we thought.
Yeah, but he is half cheaper than D'Antoni was. You get what you pay for.

Seriously, this is getting really frustrating to follow. I doubt Kerr will fire Porter because then Kerr would have to admit he was wrong, and that doesn't appear to be one of his strengths. Also, it would cost the Suns too much.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seriously ever morning after the suns lose I expect to come on this messageboard and read that Porter has been fired... If we don't win one of these games before the all star break he should be. With this much talent on the suns we should have a much better record than what we have now :(.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Porter won't last 2009, he was always keeping the seat warm. The Suns running again to proceed in less than 2 years.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Porter won't last 2009, he was always keeping the seat warm. The Suns running again to proceed in less than 2 years.

feioncastor

Reaction score
Porter might be a decent coach with a different group of guys. He's using D'Antoni's crew without D'Antoni's style.

I think that the Suns are going write off the next couple seasons and sort of start from scratch to build up a good team.

OP
OP
A

AceP

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is big problem with Porter's tactics system. The biggest concern for me is he lack of the toughness as a coach. It appears some of the players don't respect or fear him enough. It is hard to handle big ego stars when you are not tough enough.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
I did like his quote about Amare though:

Responding to Stoudemire's claim that he has been blamed excessively for the Suns' struggles, Porter said: "To whom much is given, much is expected."