Firefly

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
...but since that didn't happen, the series died.

Which is kind of a blessing in disguise, in my opinion at least...we get to miss the show going down the tubes, much like Heroes (post 1st season) and Lost (post 3rd season).

Firefly will always be what we remember. That's kind of a good thing...I suppose.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and as far as SyFy, Haven is a brand-new show and Warehouse 13 isn't that good at all. Eureka is ok, but nothing groundbreaking. Battlestar and Sanctuary are the only two shows worth anything. But they also have Being Human, Caprica and all their terrible reality shows. Not to mention some of the worst tv movies you'll ever see. A clever title doesn't make a good movie or mini-series.

Unless you're just talking about ratings, I think you're selling Eureka short. I think it's a much better show than Sanctuary and it's greatest shortcoming is that it seems to disappear for long periods without ever letting it's viewers know if and when it will return. I'm surprised Haven didn't get cancelled but it's another SyFy show that I like (also better than Sanctuary).

If this sounds like I don't care for Sanctuary, that's not the case. It's a decent show and when it involves Tesla and/or Druitt it really gets going but many of the episodes are a bit slow and formulaic IMO. Besides, I still miss Emilie Ullerup. Maybe she couldn't act but she was still a lot of fun to watch.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unless you're just talking about ratings, I think you're selling Eureka short. I think it's a much better show than Sanctuary and it's greatest shortcoming is that it seems to disappear for long periods without ever letting it's viewers know if and when it will return. I'm surprised Haven didn't get cancelled but it's another SyFy show that I like (also better than Sanctuary).

If this sounds like I don't care for Sanctuary, that's not the case. It's a decent show and when it involves Tesla and/or Druitt it really gets going but many of the episodes are a bit slow and formulaic IMO. Besides, I still miss Emilie Ullerup. Maybe she couldn't act but she was still a lot of fun to watch.

Steve

I don't think Sanctuary is the greatest either, but as a filmmaker, I love the show because it's filmed so differently than a lot of other shows. Funny that V does almost the same exact thing but the quality is so much lower on the big network show.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The CW's demographic are women -- which is going to be further strengthened when Smallville goes off the air. Remember also, The CW's "guy-centric" genre shows (which is pretty much Smallville, Supernatural and to a lesser extent Nikita) get pretty poor ratings, while historically, their "female-centric" shows are their biggest hits (Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Top Model). There are always exceptions of course, like the 5 or 10 people you know that watch the CW shows and Firefly, but that (and others like them) doesn't represent even 10 percent of The CW's audience. It sucks, but it's true, believe me--I worked for The CW for 4 years.

There is a difference between your target demographic and saying that a "guy centric" show couldn't make it on that network. The CW is going after a target audience. That doesn't mean that a show that is "guy centric" couldn't make it.

SyFy is another option. Not to mention that both TNT and the USA network approached Joss about a new show and he basically told them he was too busy. So, it's not like if the CW wouldn't be willing to take on another genre show Joss wouldn't have options. The CW isn't the only game in town.

Again, the question is "could it survive" on a smaller network? I still don't see why not.

It's interesting that you bring up UPN and Buffy. While on the WB, it was a terrific show (and was also a female-centric show). Also one of it's highest rated--which for The WB isn't saying much. A high rated show on the CW or The WB is a poorly rated show on Fox or ABC. When it switched over to UPN, the quality dipped BIG TIME. Those last 2 seasons were the worst of the series. The final season at UPN showed the show's worst ratings in its run, and no surprise there since UPN wasn't a good network at all. And what had really happened by that time wasn't up to UPN. The studio that produced the show, Warner Bros., felt the show had reached it's peak and did nothing more to help it.

Not entirely true. The last season was the worst at 3.6 million viewers but only 100,000 off from it's debut season which was OK in the WB's eyes or they would not have picked up the show. The first season at UPN was the best ratings in 2 years at 4.6 million.

Glad you brought up those other shows. Your indicating that 3.6 million viewers is bad.....yet the last season of Buffy on UPN still averaged the same number of views as the WB's "hit" the Vampire Diaries. That last season averaged more then Supernatural, Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill and Top Model(last 2 seasons).

Using the WB's ratings standards, Buffy did just fine on UPN. Using WB's rating standards they would LOVE to have a show like Firefly pulling in 4.7 million which would trump anything in their current lineup. I can't argue that the CW is not currently targeting "guys" but I would imagine if some show dropped in their lap that could average that many viewers they would at least think about it.

WB completely aside, among genre shows...Firefly ratings were good by any small network or smaller cable network standards.

I also disagree with the quality statement on Buffy the last 2 seasons (which I think your a little biased) :). I watched that show and noticed no drop off in quality. I like everyone else was feeling like the show had run it's course. My wife who was a die hard fan was even ready for it to end when it did as well.

Really, and I think we all agree on this, Fox killed Firefly almost single-handedly. Because the ratings weren't up to snuff on such an ensemble genre piece, Warner Bros. wasn't going to insist on another network to pick it up. I do wonder that if Serenity had done better in the theater if that would have resurrected the series. Probably not, since a few of the major characters actually died in the film. I'm almost certain that a good showing at the box office would have merited more films, but since that didn't happen, the series died.

Agreed. Though I think Joss making the movie was more about giving closure to fans than really saving the show. In fact, Universal made him make changes to the original script to make it accessible to a wider audience.

Oh and as far as SyFy, Haven is a brand-new show and Warehouse 13 isn't that good at all. Eureka is ok, but nothing groundbreaking. Battlestar and Sanctuary are the only two shows worth anything. But they also have Being Human, Caprica and all their terrible reality shows. Not to mention some of the worst tv movies you'll ever see. A clever title doesn't make a good movie or mini-series.

You won't hear me argue about some of their programming choices like their original movies. However, please don't put Sanctuary in the same sentence at BSG. That show is ultra campy at times, has horrid FX and is only averaging 2.7 million viewers. Amanda Tapping has a horrid accent and there is overacting galore. Eureka has equal ratings and is a superior show. Not to mention that I stopped watching Sanctuary this past season and now I am still watching Warehouse 13 which has OK ratings but is better IMO then Sanctuary.

I know it comes down to personal preference but when SuperNatural, Smallville are done, there will only be one show worth watching on that network. Syfy's shows are getting equal ratings and will have a better lineup IMO.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also disagree with the quality statement on Buffy the last 2 seasons (which I think your a little biased) :). I watched that show and noticed no drop off in quality. I like everyone else was feeling like the show had run it's course. My wife who was a die hard fan was even ready for it to end when it did as well.

The first time through I really hadn't noticed a drop in quality. However, we just re-watched the series over the summer and I was surprised at how bad the 2nd to last season was. IMO, it was one of the worst seasons of any continuing series. I did like the last season though, I thought it rebounded nicely.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time through I really hadn't noticed a drop in quality. However, we just re-watched the series over the summer and I was surprised at how bad the 2nd to last season was. IMO, it was one of the worst seasons of any continuing series. I did like the last season though, I thought it rebounded nicely.

Steve

The writing...no question. Maybe I misinterpreted his comments to mean production values. I don't remember the exact timing but I believe that season was a result of writing/producing talent being pillaged by other Mutant Enemy productions.

I distinctly remember Joss Whedon making comments about how that season suffered because Buffy didn't have his full attention. In the final season they had some producers and writers return to the show for it's final season.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The writing...no question. Maybe I misinterpreted his comments to mean production values. I don't remember the exact timing but I believe that season was a result of writing/producing talent being pillaged by other Mutant Enemy productions.

I distinctly remember Joss Whedon making comments about how that season suffered because Buffy didn't have his full attention. In the final season they had some producers and writers return to the show for it's final season.

I think you're right about Whedon. It's funny though, I was enjoying the idea of Buffy so much the first time through that the drop in quality didn't really sink in. However, when you go back and watch a whole season in a few days it really becomes obvious. Regardless, I'd love to see Whedon return to TV and stay with the show from start to finish. We may never get another Firefly or early seasons Buffy but I wouldn't bet against the guy.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know it comes down to personal preference but when SuperNatural, Smallville are done, there will only be one show worth watching on that network. Syfy's shows are getting equal ratings and will have a better lineup IMO.

Since we're never going to agree on pretty much anything, I will say that both Nikita and Vampire Diaries are two of the best shows on television.

And you CERTAINLY aren't The CW's target audience so it's no surprise you hate it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we're never going to agree on pretty much anything, I will say that both Nikita and Vampire Diaries are two of the best shows on television.

And you CERTAINLY aren't The CW's target audience so it's no surprise you hate it.

I don't think you are either though which baffles me on how you can say the WB has a better lineup after the two shows I mentioned above are gone.

By the way, I stand corrected. There might be 2 reasons. Nikita is OK, was really good and has tailed off IMO. VD is a good show. However, from my perspective that is still not a better lineup than Syfy once 2 of my other favorite shows have moved on.

P.S. I don't hate the WB. My brother worked for the WB for years way back in the day. Not the television production part of it but the studio.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think you are either though which baffles me on how you can say the WB has a better lineup after the two shows I mentioned above are gone.

I know nobody takes it seriously, but I DID work for the CW for 4 years, which means I had to watch every show, not just Smallville and Supernatural. I even thought last year and the year before Gossip Girl wasn't too bad. I mean, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch some of those shows like One Tree Hill and 90210, but they have their moments. I also technically worked for Warner Bros., so that means I saw all the WB shows as well, so V, The Mentalist, Big Bang, etc....

By the way, I stand corrected. There might be 2 reasons. Nikita is OK, was really good and has tailed off IMO. VD is a good show. However, from my perspective that is still not a better lineup than Syfy once 2 of my other favorite shows have moved on.

P.S. I don't hate the WB. My brother worked for the WB for years way back in the day. Not the television production part of it but the studio.

Disagree about Nikita. It's probably the best show of its kind on television right now, since 24 is gone. But that's just my opinion.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nobody takes it seriously, but I DID work for the CW for 4 years..

I have never questioned it. I think it's pretty cool. In fact, several members of my family have had "studio" jobs, my father was a professional singer and I have a cousin who actually cut an album.

I think if I still lived in California I would have done the exact same line of work in the "industry". I was headed that way in school taking production and film classes. When I was a teenager I wanted to be a director and move back to California. Life just never worked out that way.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know nobody takes it seriously, but I DID work for the CW for 4 years, which means I had to watch every show, not just Smallville and Supernatural. I even thought last year and the year before Gossip Girl wasn't too bad. I mean, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch some of those shows like One Tree Hill and 90210, but they have their moments. I also technically worked for Warner Bros., so that means I saw all the WB shows as well, so V, The Mentalist, Big Bang, etc....

Disagree about Nikita. It's probably the best show of its kind on television right now, since 24 is gone. But that's just my opinion.

I like Nikita but if you're including summer shows, I'd put Covert Affairs above it. Also, I don't know what kind of show you'd consider White Collar but it's a good show that just keeps getting better, IMO.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Nikita but if you're including summer shows, I'd put Covert Affairs above it. Also, I don't know what kind of show you'd consider White Collar but it's a good show that just keeps getting better, IMO.

Steve

Technically if we are talking shows with "spies". I would have to put Burn Notice above all of them. That is the best show of it's kind hands down.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically if we are talking shows with "spies". I would have to put Burn Notice above all of them. That is the best show of it's kind hands down.

Well, if we were taking about shows with ex-spies, it would be number one on the list. Actually, it's still my favorite show so yeah, I'd put it up there also.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

Interesting that you say this, just about everyone I talk to is unanimous in saying that Nikita has become better than Covert Affairs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you say this, just about everyone I talk to is unanimous in saying that Nikita has become better than Covert Affairs.

I can name two that would disagree (my wife and her husband). Nikita does have a slight advantage in that they are 16 episodes into the show whereas season 1 of Covert Affairs was only 11 or 12 episodes. I like both shows but I think Affairs has a little more personality even though I definitely prefer Maggie Q over Piper Perabo. Actually, Nikita has another advantage - it doesn't costar Peter Eyebrows.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can name two that would disagree (my wife and her husband). Nikita does have a slight advantage in that they are 16 episodes into the show whereas season 1 of Covert Affairs was only 11 or 12 episodes. I like both shows but I think Affairs has a little more personality even though I definitely prefer Maggie Q over Piper Perabo. Actually, Nikita has another advantage - it doesn't costar Peter Eyebrows.

Steve

Well I knew after about 5 episodes or so of Nikita, most people preferred Affairs, but Nikita really picked up after that and developed a great arc and now it's been touted as being better. It could be the episode count, which isn't surprising, and who knows? Maybe Affairs' second season will improve on their first. But Nikita has been a pretty damn good thriller pretty much from the start.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I knew after about 5 episodes or so of Nikita, most people preferred Affairs, but Nikita really picked up after that and developed a great arc and now it's been touted as being better. It could be the episode count, which isn't surprising, and who knows? Maybe Affairs' second season will improve on their first. But Nikita has been a pretty damn good thriller pretty much from the start.

I like the fact that Nikita doesn't get bogged down in melodrama. It is first and foremost an action show and there just aren't enough of them on TV these days. I think the show has steadily improved although I worry how they'll keep it credible now that Alex is living on her own. That information pipeline was so important to Nikita's ability to stay in front of Division.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
VD a good show? Vampire Diaries one of the best shows on TV? Man, you people have lost all credibility to me. Chap, you can say that and naysay Firefly at the same time? Good grief. Just crawl into bed and read your Twi-crap, then, 'cause that's the taste you have. Blech!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
VD a good show? Vampire Diaries one of the best shows on TV? Man, you people have lost all credibility to me. Chap, you can say that and naysay Firefly at the same time? Good grief. Just crawl into bed and read your Twi-crap, then, 'cause that's the taste you have. Blech!

What are you talking about, "naysay Firefly"? Learn to read a little bit, because you have no idea what you're saying.

And I'll bet you've NEVER seen an episode of Vampire Diaries.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about, "naysay Firefly"? Learn to read a little bit, because you have no idea what you're saying.

So how come you don't like Firefly?

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Let me amend...naysay Firefly followers. I've kept mostly quiet about it, but you're insane if you don't think there's a fan base for it to come back, and if you don't think they were as strong as for those other shows. You clearly look at these things too clinically and don't look around you in the world to see how strong the fan base truly is. It is everywhere, all around us.

And I did see an episode of VD. The very first two, actually. And, though I can't remember everything that happened, I figured it out pretty well. Just as bad, if not worse, than the terribly-written chick schlock of Twi-crap.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me amend...naysay Firefly followers. I've kept mostly quiet about it, but you're insane if you don't think there's a fan base for it to come back, and if you don't think they were as strong as for those other shows. You clearly look at these things too clinically and don't look around you in the world to see how strong the fan base truly is. It is everywhere, all around us.

And I did see an episode of VD. The very first two, actually. And, though I can't remember everything that happened, I figured it out pretty well. Just as bad, if not worse, than the terribly-written chick schlock of Twi-crap.

No way. Twilight is aimed at a very small segment of the population and it succeeds nicely amongst that group. It's a borefest for most of the rest of us. Vampire Diaries isn't quite the show Chap makes it out to be but it's well above average, IMO. Also, it's not simply aimed at 12 year old girls. There's enough to appeal to either gender, any age, if you're willing to stay with it. It's no Firefly but it's a pretty good show nonetheless.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05