Fisher Injured, May miss 6 weeks.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
Yeah, Fish probably hoped his baby daughter would get a cancerous tumor behind her eye so that he could get out of his contract with Utah and sign with the Lakers. :sarcasm:

Idiot.

Yes uncalled for. I respect Fisher for putting his family first.

But as for the lakers losing fisher :rockon: he kills the suns.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The absense of feeling bad for a team doesnt resort to revelry... I don't think indifference in this situation is out of line, which is what most posters are inferring.

Its not that we're are happy they have these injuries, its that we simply dont feel bad for them.

It was that "You are less of a fan if you feel bad for them" assertation.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You mean to be closer to the doctors who live in NEW YORK? I live in Utah, and this subject gets rehashed on the radio every time the Lakers and Jazz have gotten together this season. The Jazz feel lied to and jilted. Fisher needed to be in NY, he said to them. They let him go, and less than a week later he is signed by the Lakers. A little "Fish"y, the Jazz fans say.
A lot of underhand dealings going on in the league... but what else do you expect of an empire whose king is David Stern.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

Right lets revel in the misfortune of others then bitch about our own.

You just have to accept the fact that you're one of the few fans here with a shred of class.

Go ahead guys, cheer for the Lakers injury, whatever makes you feel better. When it happens to the Suns, you're unfortunate victims, but when it happens to the Lakers they deserve it because they had the audacity to make some good personnel moves. Very low class, but typical of many Suns fans. Luckily, the whole fan base isn't like that though.

A lot of underhand dealings going on in the league... but what else do you expect of an empire whose king is David Stern.

You are just a complete fool. Go back to your blog about how the government planned 911, how the moon landing was fake, and how everything we have today is derived from technology we took from the alien ship that crashed at Roswell. You conspiracy theorists are just sad.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
You just have to accept the fact that you're one of the few fans here with a shred of class.

Go ahead guys, cheer for the Lakers injury, whatever makes you feel better. When it happens to the Suns, you're unfortunate victims, but when it happens to the Lakers they deserve it because they had the audacity to make some good personnel moves. Very low class, but typical of many Suns fans. Luckily, the whole fan base isn't like that though.

I'm with you. i'm never one to cheer for injury, especially on a high class guy like fisher. I don't think there was any scandal involved with him coming to L.A either. He came here because it's one of the best medical cities in the nation. He did it for his daughter, not for his basketball career. If Gasol would have landed on the suns lap, we'd all be thrilled too. i can't hate the lakers for ditching Kwame for an all-star. Frankly, i would have said they were total idiots to reject such a trade.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The lakers have been a very lucky and fortunate franchise. Wilt, West, Baylor, Jabbar, Magic, Worthy, Shaq, kobe. Their fans have had it very good over the years to be able to enjoy all these HOF or near HOF players. I dont feel sorry for any team, they are paid so much better than the fans, it would be silly. Basketball players are very fortunate to get paid ridiculous sums of money for "playing around". I can feel sorry for FISH about his daughters illness, absolutely, but injury is part of his job, like layoffs are for many americans. I feel much more sorry for those americans. I also dont feel sorry for laker fans(or celtics fans), they have had it very good as well with many "great trades" and draft selections, sometimes getting the number one pick AFTER winning it all(worthy). There are alot of suffering fans in the NBA, those are the fans I can feel sympathy for when their chances of having a championship team go down the tubes. Suns fans feeling sorry for laker fans, or bulls fans, or celtics fans, is like a bum feeling sorry for a litigation attorney(well maybe not that bad). I dont recall anyone feeling sorry for suns fans when amare went down, or JJ was injured, or amare and Boris were suspended, its all part of the game. Now, is the season too long making injury an ugly part of the game? Absolutely, there are way too many games and injuries that result from the excessive schedule. If the players werent so highly paid, perhaps ther could be a more reasonable schedule that leads to better basketball with less injuries that change the playoff landscape.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Go ahead guys, cheer for the Lakers injury, whatever makes you feel better. When it happens to the Suns, you're unfortunate victims, but when it happens to the Lakers they deserve it because they had the audacity to make some good personnel moves.

Oh please. Of course fans are upset when players of their own team get injured. But I don't recall a single Laker fan ever offering any condolences when things haven't broken the Suns' way. Injuries are a form of luck, just like blown out-of-bounds calls. When the Lakers get a good break, what do we hear? AH HA LAKERS RULE BECAUSE WE HAVE FOUR HUNDRED TITLES AND YOU HAVE NONE SUNS SUCK THE BEST TEAM ALWAYS WINS STOP WHINING HA HA HA. Yeah, real classy.

And now that the Lakers' latest dream season has been slightly derailed, we're supposed to feel sorry for them? Kiss my Oklahoma logo. Yeah, it's all fun and games when you're the one with the upper hand, and you can be as nasty and as condescending as you want. Now the shoe might be, oh, let's say five percent on the other foot, and suddenly it's "Come on, now, let's all be civil and supportive and reach out to one another in troubled times." Right. If you're afraid to lose, don't up the stakes.

You are just a complete fool. Go back to your blog

It wasn't a conspiracy, but it was a two-faced move by Fisher and I don't see how you can argue otherwise. If my daughter were sick enough that I felt I had to request a leave of absence from my employer, that's exactly what I would do -- I wouldn't go start working for a competitor on the sly, for god's sake. Fisher abused the good faith of the Jazz in order to leverage his daughter's illness to his own advantage. Frankly I find it revolting, and I can guarantee you I would never cheapen a health issue with my daughter by figuring out how I could gain from it. Fisher's actions this season have outraged me not as a Suns fan, but as a father.

Last edited:

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
yea i dont remember the candle gathering in L.A when JJ broke his face, or we got hosed in the San Antonio series. maybe i missed it, but the giant ego smog coming out of L.A probably blocked my view.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
You are just a complete fool. Go back to your blog about how the government planned 911, how the moon landing was fake, and how everything we have today is derived from technology we took from the alien ship that crashed at Roswell. You conspiracy theorists are just sad.
Did that sting? Sure reality hurts bad... Laker fool!

Last edited:

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think there was any scandal involved with him coming to L.A either.

What I’ve heard from a few people, and I don’t know whether this is true, is that Fisher told the Jazz that he had to go to New York, the Jazz released him with the expectation that he would sign with the Knicks or the Nets, and then he signed with the Lakers.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh please. Of course fans are upset when players of their own team get injured. But I don't recall a single Laker fan ever offering any condolences when things haven't broken the Suns' way. Injuries are a form of luck, just like blown out-of-bounds calls. When the Lakers get a good break, what do we hear? AH HA LAKERS RULE BECAUSE WE HAVE FOUR HUNDRED TITLES AND YOU HAVE NONE SUNS SUCK THE BEST TEAM ALWAYS WINS STOP WHINING HA HA HA. Yeah, real classy.

And now that the Lakers' latest dream season has been slightly derailed, we're supposed to feel sorry for them? Kiss my Oklahoma logo. Yeah, it's all fun and games when you're the one with the upper hand, and you can be as nasty and as condescending as you want. Now the shoe might be, oh, let's say five percent on the other foot, and suddenly it's "Come on, now, let's all be civil and supportive and reach out to one another in troubled times." Right. If you're afraid to lose, don't up the stakes.

It wasn't a conspiracy, but it was a two-faced move by Fisher and I don't see how you can argue otherwise. If my daughter were sick enough that I felt I had to request a leave of absence from my employer, that's exactly what I would do -- I wouldn't go start working for a competitor on the sly, for god's sake. Fisher abused the good faith of the Jazz in order to leverage his daughter's illness to his own advantage. Frankly I find it revolting, and I can guarantee you I would never cheapen a health issue with my daughter by figuring out how I could gain from it. Fisher's actions this season have outraged me not as a Suns fan, but as a father.
:thumbup: You're now on my short list of those that are invited to my next backyard BBQ. First i need to get a backyard though.
Solid.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
You have to feel bad for the Lakers and all their injury problems. The Suns have had the injury bug the last two seasons and it just breaks the spirit of the fans because you know your team wasn't at it's when it mattered the most.

ya right..

i'll never feel bad for any team kobe is on no matter what the case..

same goes for ginosely..

if they became suns i'd prob. off myself..

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What I’ve heard from a few people, and I don’t know whether this is true, is that Fisher told the Jazz that he had to go to New York, the Jazz released him with the expectation that he would sign with the Knicks or the Nets, and then he signed with the Lakers.
"That is how the story goes" - Utah resident tired of hearing about it.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
... they [the Lakers] had the audacity to make some good personnel moves. Very low class, but typical of many Suns fans.

First off, is that what you are calling it now "good personnel moves"? Everyone in the league knows that was highway robbery and were furious that the League allowed it to go through. Had that been to a 'small market franchise', that deal would have been nixed in two seconds. And everyone knows it. Don't come in here and sell water as a the next new miracle liquid.

Second, "Very Low Class, but Typical of many Suns Fans"! Up until this post, I have actually appreciated your commentary, Darth Llama. However, that was the most ridiculous post I have ever seen from a Lakers' fan in awhile. Do you realize who you are in relation to Suns' fan? The Lakers' fans are easily the lowest of class amongst nearly all fans in the history of the league. Also, this is a PHOENIX SUNS forum, in which the crowd will be obviously biased. Why should anyone cater to the feelings of fans who at a drop of the hat scream about their 'historic and decorated team' while living in Phoenix (or surrounding areas)? I say, if you find it too hot and biased here, go elsewhere. Don't expect sympathy and condolences from the rivals you can't wait to kick in their teeth every chance you get. It is silly.

The Suns' fans I know are decent people, hoping for a single championship. If I went and posted the type of whining crap you have posted in a Laker forum - the mods would have me banned within a couple of days.

BTW, I only feel bad for the Lakers and their injuries because I want to play the full squad - without excuses. I have grown tired of hearing from Lakers' fans on how the Suns nearly lost to the Lakers the last two years in the playoffs. Last year the Suns easily beat the Lakers, and the year before, the Suns had significant injuries - and had to win 5 games.

I thought I was the only one with this angle. I did find it very difficult to swallow the moves by Fisher. To give you an anecdotal perspective, my wife who doesn't really hate any team, and only watches the NBA during the playoffs was touched by the Utah Jazz story and Fisher last year. She got emotional when Fisher came back from NY and helped the Jazz beat the Warriors, with the crowd giving him a huge ovation. She kept saying, "That's great and everything, but he ought to just retire and take care of his girl if he really feels this strongly about it." When the Jazz released him so he could be closer to medical staff in (assuming it was NY) her comment was, "Good for the Jazz. Now he can live in NY and focus on what matters most to him. Just goes to show that it really isn't all about the money and fame to some athletes." .... yeah, I guess we can't be sure about Derek Fisher though.

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
Fisher took less money to move to a city with 2 of the top 8 or 10 eye institutes in the country, including arguably the best. He did not ask for a leave of absence, but rather the opportunity to move closer to world class eye care. I do not believe you can argue he didn't do that.

OP
OP
arwillan

arwillan

The King
Reaction score

yeah, i've heard the same thing too. i just haven't heard it from any serious source, and i haven't seen anything documented that quotes him saying that. I wouldn't say it's hard to believe that he told them he needed to go to new york, but i would say it's likely the knew that he could go to any number of cities to get the treatment.

gamblinjonny

Reaction score
I'm also not feeling sorry for Laker fans and all the injuries that have happened to that team. Being a Suns fan for over 30 years and all the misfortune that has come to them, maybe the "sports gods" are telling the Lakers, "It's your time for some injuries to multiple players and at a bad time in the season." No Laker fan felt sorry for me (and I work with a couple) when Amare, JJ, and Bell went down with injuries, when Nance, Davis and a couple of others went down with season-ending injuries in 1981 or what happened in the San Antonio game last year, and no Laker fan gave me condolences when Nick Vanos was killed in that plane crash. The Lakers have been a very fortunate franchise and the only injuries that I can remember that affected the Lakers, in the playoffs, were Kareem's migrane headaches aginst Philly and Magic's hamstring against Detroit. So, I'm not cheering the Laker injuries, but I don't feel sorry either. Next thing L.A. fan wants everyone to feel sorry for them because they have a NHL franchise that hasn't won in 40 years or feel sorry for them because they don't have an NFL franchise. If the L.A. civic and business leaders are handed an NFL team (Houston Texans) and are too stupid to know what to do with it, then L.A. never deserves an NFL team, period

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05