CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Fitzgerald hopes his visit will expand Cardinals' fan base
http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=29183

By Kent Harris, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Thursday, May 19, 2005

You must be registered for see images

Kent Harris / S&S
Larry Fitzgerald, wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals, talks to students Wednesday in an eighth-grade physical education class at Aviano Junior High School.

You must be registered for see images

Kent Harris / S&S
Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald hands an autographed picture to Staff Sgt. Michaela Maximin during a visit to Aviano Air Base, Italy. Fitzgerald, one of the NFL's top rookies last year, will visit bases at RAF Lakenheath, Lajes Field and Moron Air Base, Spain in the next week.
AVIANO AIR BASE, Italy — Larry Fitzgerald spends Sundays in the fall and winter bringing smiles to Arizona Cardinals fans.

The second-year receiver from the University of Pittsburgh is doing the same thing this week in Europe, but in person.

“It’s not every day that you get a chance to meet people who are over here serving to protect our freedom,” Fitzgerald said Wednesday at Aviano Air Base. He had arrived earlier in the day to begin a weeklong visit to a handful of Air Force bases in Italy, the United Kingdom, Portugal and Spain.

Fitzgerald, the No. 4 pick in last year’s NFL draft, had 58 receptions — eight for touchdowns — in his rookie season. He said many casual fans might not recognize his name or think much of the Cardinals. But that’s going to change soon.

“There’s no may about it,” he said of the team reaching the playoffs next year. “We’re going to be there.”

He said if his trip through Europe creates a few more Cardinals fans, then that’s a bonus.

“If we can get everyone to hop on the bandwagon, that’s good,” he said, flashing a big smile that was in evidence often Wednesday.

He already had fans at Aviano.

Tech Sgt. Chris Mandell is a fireman on base and is from Phoenix.

“I follow the Cardinals,” he told Fitzgerald as the two shook hands. “But usually by the time you guys play, I’m in bed.”

Staff Sgt. Michaela Maximin said she was glad Fitzgerald traveled to Aviano.

“It’s awesome,” she said, signed picture in hand. “I wish [other athletes and celebrities] would do it more often.”

Fitzgerald, listed at 6-feet, 3-inches and 221 pounds on the team’s Web site, dwarfed most of those around him. But he actually wasn’t as big as Maximin thought he’d be.

“I thought he was going to be taller,” she said. “Someone told me he was 6-8.”

Fitzgerald flashed another smile at that.

He admitted he doesn’t know a lot about the military, though he pays attention to the news. An aunt and uncle are both lieutenant colonels in the Army Reserve.

“I think it’s pretty easy if you’re not directly involved in something or know someone who is to just detach yourself from it,” he said. So he said the trip would be a learning experience. “I’m just going to try to enjoy the experience and take it all in.”

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good job by Fitz and much appreciated. :thumbup:

Bad job on the Airforce naming a base Moron. WTF were they thinking here? :rolleyes:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Good job by Fitz and much appreciated. :thumbup:

Bad job on the Airforce naming a base Moron. WTF were they thinking here? :rolleyes:

Aviano is a city in Italy. Moron is probably the same. The bases overseas are not "ours", we just use them. They have usually had their names forever. Even before the attempt to get everyone to speak German.:devil:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
speedy said:
Aviano is a city in Italy. Moron is probably the same. The bases overseas are not "ours", we just use them. They have usually had their names forever. Even before the attempt to get everyone to speak German.:devil:

I understand we just use them but, If that's the case I'm glad Moron is not on my resume. Hope we never base out of Dumb Bastard Poland.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

This is where Fitz and DG earn a huge amount of respect from me.. Last year at the Draft I thought the Texas WR better by a c-hair :cool: than Fitzgerald, due to his being a year and 1/2 further along as a senior, and thought he played more aggressively.. I felt that DG was OVER-talking Fitzgerald up, but as Larry has shown, if anything, DG understated his maturation off-field.. I still say Q is the best receiver the Cards have and will have[lame backpedal, I know :rolleyes:] but now more than ever I am pumped up to watch Fitz and Q tear it up for years to come!!
GO CARDS!!! PLAYOFFS 2005!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan