Fitzgerald will be in 2004 NFL Draft

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
According to Chris Mortensen, true sophomore WR Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh will be eligible for this April's draft. He has submitted his application and, according to Mortensen's NFL sources, he will be allowed in.

Good news!

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renz
According to Chris Mortensen, true sophomore WR Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh will be eligible for this April's draft. He has submitted his application and, according to Mortensen's NFL sources, he will be allowed in.

Good news!

WHEW!!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very good news for the Cards. Hopefully, Oakland will take him at #2.

spanky1

Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
And ELI will fall to the Cards at #3!

Fitzgerald in the mix actually might hurt the "draft Eli'ers" cause because it means that Roy Williams is now available at #3.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhm, RW would be available at three no matter what.

Eli will be taken over RW, guaranteed.

Mrospi

Reaction score
If Eli falls to #3 take him and if we still want another WR, take him with our 2nd round pick.... WR is going to be so deep this year you will still get a good one at the top of the 2nd round

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Look there is no way Eli falls at all. He will be the number one pick...

So at #3 were either getting Ben or Fitzgerald... Either way it is a sweet pick!

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score
I saw Fitz make some spectacular catches and think if the Charges stay at ! will take a WR. I cannot see Marty or the Charges taking a QB 1 after the cryin Ryan draft.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by imaCafan
O.K., if Eli falls to #3, who goes 1-2?
Eli DOESN'T drop, he's a guaranteed 1st pick, whether SD takes him or someone trades up to get him. Take it to the bank! Davis is so unpredictable, that he could do anything. I think he'll take either Fitzgerald or Williams. I really don't think he'll trade down. We'll have a choice between Fitz/Williams or Reuthlesberger. I prefer Ben, but my gut tells me that Green is salivating for either of those WR's. Either way, we'll get a solid choice. But it won't be Eli, & for that I'm sick!!!!!!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by imaCafan
O.K., if Eli falls to #3, who goes 1-2?

Gallery, Fitz.

yes, Gallery. He may not be Orlando Pace, but SD needs an O lineman in a BIG way, and they will not find many good trade offers. In fact, the Cards would be the most likely trading team in the vicinity of where they want to pick. In lieu of a trade, they will likely pick the OL guy they need.

That's the only way we get Eli.

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Gallery

Originally posted by D-Dogg
Gallery, Fitz.

yes, Gallery. He may not be Orlando Pace, but SD needs an O lineman in a BIG way, and they will not find many good trade offers. In fact, the Cards would be the most likely trading team in the vicinity of where they want to pick. In lieu of a trade, they will likely pick the OL guy they need.

That's the only way we get Eli.

Gallery is a manster.

I know some people have played up Andrews from Arkansas as the best OL.....but in the Arkansas games I watched he didn't really stand out....of course I was watching their D and Batman Carroll most of the time.

San Diego-Gallery

Oakland-Fitzgerald

Arizona-Eli

Works for me.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Second Deck
I saw Fitz make some spectacular catches and think if the Charges stay at ! will take a WR. I cannot see Marty or the Charges taking a QB 1 after the cryin Ryan draft.

This is SD's chance to correct mistakes of the past--remember, they took Ryan Leaf in the same draft that Manning went to the Colts. I say they take Manning.

I think it's very unlikely that they'll take an offensive lineman with the #1 overall. If they're not ready to pull the trigger on Manning, then I think they'll trade out of it (while I do think Roethlisberger will be every bit as good, if not better, than Manning, SD will not pass on another Manning for a different QB again). I also don't think that they'll invest more big money in a WR, they're already paying Boston a fortune.

I really think it goes like this:

1. SD: Manning
2. Oakland: Fitz or Williams
3. Arizona: Roethlisberger

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
This is SD's chance to correct mistakes of the past--remember, they took Ryan Leaf in the same draft that Manning went to the Colts. I say they take Manning.

I think it's very unlikely that they'll take an offensive lineman with the #1 overall. If they're not ready to pull the trigger on Manning, then I think they'll trade out of it (while I do think Roethlisberger will be every bit as good, if not better, than Manning, SD will not pass on another Manning for a different QB again). I also don't think that they'll invest more big money in a WR, they're already paying Boston a fortune.

I really think it goes like this:

1. SD: Manning
2. Oakland: Fitz or Williams
3. Arizona: Roethlisberger

Well, my scenario is IF SD doesn't take a QB, which is equally as possible a scenario as if they don't, at this point.

IF SD doesn't want a QB, they WILL want to trade down...but I don't think they will be able to, for a # of reasons.

-I think they want Gallery. Bad. Or at least one of the two big OL

-There's a chance, albeit slim, that Oakland goes after an OL-after all, Lincoln Kennedy has retired, and they NEED a tackle

-Gallery, IMO, will not fall far at all, even if da Raiders don't take him

-Oakland and Arizona will NOT trade up with them

-If they trade down too far, they'll seriously risk losing Gallery

So, I may be full of it, or wrong, but I think SD takes Gallery #1, unless a great miracle trade occurs, which I don't see.

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by PACardsFan
Eli DOESN'T drop, he's a guaranteed 1st pick, whether SD takes him or someone trades up to get him. Take it to the bank! Davis is so unpredictable, that he could do anything. I think he'll take either Fitzgerald or Williams. I really don't think he'll trade down. We'll have a choice between Fitz/Williams or Reuthlesberger. I prefer Ben, but my gut tells me that Green is salivating for either of those WR's. Either way, we'll get a solid choice. But it won't be Eli, & for that I'm sick!!!!!!!

Yeah, the debate is whether San Diego takes Manning #1 or trades down not whether someone else (like Gallery) gets drafted there. I think they stay with Manning but there's little chance someone else will go #1. As to the rest of the draft, Fitzgerald's availability does increase the Cards chances of getting a franchise quarterback. But not Eli Manning.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
Stout hit this one right on the head. Meee-YAAA-GEEEE-Son!!!!!

Gallery will be San Diegos pick, mark it down. He's not as high of a grade as Pace or Boselli were but he's right up there. Marty doesn't have the luxury of losing 10 games next year with Eli or Ben at the helm. He will go with Brees, and possibly sign Brunell or another vet to push him. Their OLine was the reason they suffered this season, and Brees struggled because of the OLine struggles.

A San Diego pick of Eli Manning makes no sense at all for Marty or AJ Smith, they'll both be fired next year if they lose more than 8 games, and a rookie QB won't help fix their problems at Offensive Line.

I see the top 3 as:

1. SD - Gallery, nobody will pay them the value they'd expect for a #1 overall pick.

2. Oak - Roy Williams - Speed WR, much more speed than Fitz, but Al Davis is a wild card as usual and I'm sure he wants to replace Lincoln Kennedy(retired) and since Gallery is gone, Shawn Andrews is a possibility. As many have said WR is deep.

3. AZ - Eli Manning - Obviously #1 overall on AZ's big board, with Sean Taylor at #2 overall.

I say pick Manning, if he is gone, you won't catch me crying if Taylor is the pick. :thumbup:

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
(1) SD taking another top QB? They have Brees already and he cost them a top pick. It doesn't make sense to take a QB for SD. Add another project like Brees on the team? Plus if FITZ is there he would give them a great WR he is a Cris Carter/Randy Moss type WR to add to Brees and their great RB.

(2) I cannot see OAK passing up on a QB. They need a young QB. No way does Eli or Ben fall through them.

(3) If SD does braincramp and take a QB and OAK takes a QB then at #3 I see DG taking a hard long look at FITZ - he is a supertalented guy who grew up on those old Vikings teams. He was tutored by Carter and Moss.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The fact is that San Diego needs a player to make an immediate impact, and generally QB's don't. Yes Manning will probably be very good, but Drew Brees can't throw when he is on his back. San Diego's offensive line is horrible and lets keep in mind that this team revolves around Tomlinson (best back in the NFL). Gallery is the player they need. He is a very good tackle who will benefit both Brees and Tomlinson most likely this year if they draft him. Iowa has produced so very good offensive lineman recently so you have the program that has proven to produce quality offensive lineman. It just makes too much sense to take Gallery at number 1. Worst case scenario is that Gallery doesn't start rigt away, Brees fails, and Marty gets fired. Even after all this you still will have a very good left tackle to block for your new QB who will be asked to hand the ball off to Tomlinson.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by vikesfan
(1) SD taking another top QB? They have Brees already and he cost them a top pick. It doesn't make sense to take a QB for SD. Add another project like Brees on the team? Plus if FITZ is there he would give them a great WR he is a Cris Carter/Randy Moss type WR to add to Brees and their great RB.

Brees was never really intended to be their franchise QB. They would have liked him to work out, but they traded that year and took Tomlinson in the first. Brees was their 2nd round pick. That being said, I agree that they don't take a QB, but will trade. Eli goes number one to the highest bidder.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why wouldn't SD trade?They'll be able to get a player they want further down and not have to pay him top pick money.Plus they pick up extra picks or players.If SD doesn't trade down then their GM needs to be fired.It makes no sense to stay where they are at.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess the Fitzgerald situation is STILL not final:
That's my impression, too.

If he is, in fact, allowed to declare and it's determined that he is, in fact, that good - it raises some interesting options not only for the #1 and #2 selectors but the Cardinals as well.

Howvever, both "ifs' are not inconsequential by any means.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
Why wouldn't SD trade?They'll be able to get a player they want further down and not have to pay him top pick money.Plus they pick up extra picks or players.If SD doesn't trade down then their GM needs to be fired.It makes no sense to stay where they are at.

Because I think they want Gallery and, if they want him, they can't trade down far, maybe not at all. I feel he'll go that high.