Flagstaff training camp roll call: Who is going?

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
I'm going to try and go up for at least a day, I've never been to their training camp before so I'll be changing that this year.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be going at some point.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I will be there again. It should be a little more crowded this year. Can't wait!

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
We've gone the last two years and we'll go this year. We stay at the Drury Hotel on S. Milton, about a block away. I think it's about $130 per night, but haven't checked for any specials.

AnotherHOMER

Reaction score
I just moved up here to Flag..I will be attending each day.

Nice! Something I was looking forward to when I moved up here.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jeff, last October, since I don't fly, I took the train from New Rochelle to D.C., then another form D.C. to Chicago, and then another from Chicago to Flag. It was great, but would have been better if I didn't have to climb into an upper berth (my wife had the lower). We rented a car in Flag and toured the Flag/Sedona/Grand Canyon area before attending the Buffalo game. The Monday after the Bills' game we headed to Sante Fe and Taos, and came back for the Cowboys game. After touring in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area, we headed back to Flag, turned in the rental and headed back East on the same train route. It was great.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...It was great, but would have been better if I didn't have to climb into an upper berth (my wife had the lower)...It was great.
Hmmm. I think there must be some way both Dr. (Ms.) Gollin and I can fit into the lower berth. :).

Regarding the entire trip - here's my thinking:

As a kid, I traveled several times by train to visit relatives in St. Louis. Back then, the NY Central RR train from NYC to St. Louis followed the old "water level route" - up the Hudson River, then west (following the course of the famous Mohawk River Iroquois Indian trail) & then west to Buffalo and SW via Indianapolis to StL.

The train passed through industrial areas, farms (some flooded), back yards with clothes-lines, small midwestern downtowns etc. etc. What better way to get a sense of (and appreciation) for America! (Even better when you'd spend some time in the club car or dining car schmoozing with other passengers as they got on or got off).

Nowadays, if you're lucky, you may get to see a McDonalds, Copper Skillet or some other national chain along a major interstate - or the inside of an airport terminal building).

(One reason electric train sets were so popular with kids "back in the day" was that, with all their embellishments "you could re-create America").

That's why I'm intrigued by doing the train thing. (It would take some heavy lifting to sell the missus - lower berth or otherwise, but I'm still hoping I can do it). I miss the railroads (& checking out the rest of the US of A).

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff. Short answer. Yes. Do it. My uncle in New Jersey, a retired doctor who was a model train nut came out that way 10 years ago and loved it.

He also took a side trip to ride the cog-wheel train climb from Durango through the mountains to Silverton, Co. and back down. Said it was the second best train ride of his life.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Camp usually starts last Saturday in July. We usually stay at the Radisson, but last year we stayed at the Holiday Inn off the I-40 (Lucky Lane??) It wasn't bad, had free b'fast, but a bit noisy at night if you get the rooms facing the train tracks.

Has anyone ever rented a motorhome and stayed in Flag? I don't know if there are any campgrounds, but there must be RV parks where you can park that thing.

redforceone

Veteran
Reaction score
We only like the LQ.com because it is usually after a few days of tent camping and fishing ~ plus our dog can stay there.

Last year I went up solo and even the Motel 6 was $90...

Let me know when you are planning on going up. I think justadvl will go as well.

I think I am going. I've only been there once but I have some time off this summer and can't think of a better way to escape the 115 degree heat in July/August.

I know there was a thread about hotels last year, but I was hoping to get some updated information. I know redforce1 recommended the La Quinta, but online they want $130-$140 per night. Come on, this is not New York or San Francisco, it is Flagstaff.

Anyone have any good hotel recommendations? I prefer a place with free wireless internet and maybe a good free breakfast. Not for that much money tho. Heck, I stayed at a hotel near San Francisco for a week last year and it was not nearly that much.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jeff: Some years ago my Mom and I took the train from LA to Chicago and back again just for the ducks of it. It was terrific. First of all, you meet some real interesting people. The views are terrific. (Tracks go next to the Colorado in the Rockies.) Car traffic has to stop for the train. (That was different.) Everyone we ran into who worked for Amtrack was terrific and helpful to two ladies who, at times, didn't have a clue.

Please note: If yo get a deluxe room that has beds and a table and its own bathroom (which is about the size of an ice-in-the-door fridge) you really need to pay attention to which button you push when you want to flush the john. One button flushes the john. The button right next to it turns on the shower. Do not mix them up and do not use the john in the dark because you will mix them up. (And when you go to the dining car soaking wet everyone will smile knowingly.)

Oh, and I'm hoping to go up to Flag with my nephew.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please note: If yo get a deluxe room that has beds and a table and its own bathroom you really need to pay attention to which button you push when you want to flush the john. One button flushes the john. The button right next to it turns on the shower. Do not mix them up and do not use the john in the dark because you will mix them up.

Someone wrote a song (Lowden Wainwright??) with the chorus:

Passengers will please refrain
From flushing toilets while the train
Is standing in the station,
I love you

:D

ps. I think its the same guy who wrote "Dead skunk in the middle of the road"

Reaction score
Last year someone on this board mentioned that they had a rental property (or at least a share of it) in or very near Flagstaff. He even posted a link to pictures of it. It was an awesome house with views, pool table, sleeps about a dozen or more...

Anyone remember that thread/poster?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I-17

I have not been since 1999 and for the first time since, I have the time to make it this year.

So yes, I will be taking the I-17 north to beautiful Flagstaff to watch our NFC Champs prepare for another Superbowl run.

Any ASFN group activities?
TAKE THE BACK WAY, UP THROUGH PAYSON, IT'S A MUCH NICER ROUTE, I PLAN ON RIDING UP THIS YEAR.

OP
OP
jw7

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you are planning on going up. I think justadvl will go as well.

Sure thing. Once the Cards release the training camp schedule, I will let you know.

TAKE THE BACK WAY, UP THROUGH PAYSON, IT'S A MUCH NICER ROUTE, I PLAN ON RIDING UP THIS YEAR.

Do you mean Prescott/Sedona? I've never gone to Flagstaff thru Payson but I do drive Phoenix to Payson quite a bit on my way to Show Low and that drive absolutely sucks. It is 60 miles of nothing. Now Payson to Show Low thru the Mogollon Rim is beautiful. The first leg of that trip is horrible.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

You are implying the "scenic route" I've never been one to take that route. Hate road trips, as I go to Tucson once a week for work. Like to get to final destination ASAP.

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Back way up

Sure thing. Once the Cards release the training camp schedule, I will let you know.

Do you mean Prescott/Sedona? I've never gone to Flagstaff thru Payson but I do drive Phoenix to Payson quite a bit on my way to Show Low and that drive absolutely sucks. It is 60 miles of nothing. Now Payson to Show Low thru the Mogollon Rim is beautiful. The first leg of that trip is horrible.

I may have my ciites mixed up. What I do knowis that I pass Mormon Lake, Lake Mary I believe and maybe one more. They're all on the west side of the road heading North. IMHO, it's just more pleasant and "scenic" than I-17.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I may have my ciites mixed up. What I do knowis that I pass Mormon Lake, Lake Mary I believe and maybe one more. They're all on the west side of the road heading North. IMHO, it's just more pleasant and "scenic" than I-17.
Mormon Lake and Lake Mary are on the east side of I-17. It sounds like you are talking about taking the 87 to Clints Well, then the 487 past Mormon Lake into Flag.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05