Flagstaff training camp roll call: Who is going?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I am going. I've only been there once but I have some time off this summer and can't think of a better way to escape the 115 degree heat in July/August.

I know there was a thread about hotels last year, but I was hoping to get some updated information. I know redforce1 recommended the La Quinta, but online they want $130-$140 per night. Come on, this is not New York or San Francisco, it is Flagstaff.

Anyone have any good hotel recommendations? I prefer a place with free wireless internet and maybe a good free breakfast. Not for that much money tho. Heck, I stayed at a hotel near San Francisco for a week last year and it was not nearly that much.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am definitely 100% in this year. Especially if they (my employer) continue with the furloughs.

I may even stay the night and try to get two days in this time around. I work hard, I've earned it darn it!!

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I'll be there. Last year, I had a first class jerk as an employer who wouldn't even let me off for the Saturday Falcons playoff game.

This year, I have a reasonable sports fan. Can't wait

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Am trying to get schedule situated so's my family [me, my 8year-old twins] can go meet their fav Cards..

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there was a thread about hotels last year, but I was hoping to get some updated information. I know redforce1 recommended the La Quinta, but online they want $130-$140 per night. Come on, this is not New York or San Francisco, it is Flagstaff.

If it were, NYC, it would be twice that much. :(

Am hoping to get up there and stay somewhere around Sedona and possibly *gasp* camp in order to save moola.

When is camp, BTW?

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score

Supply vs. demand - summertime temps in PHX peeks weekend demand in FLG

I stayed at a place in FLG, a no-tell motel for $40, but it was a dive.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dcr & I want to go again this year...we'll figure out a way to make it happen. We just have an ungodly busy/expensive summer coming up. We'd like to try to make it for a few days during the week, though. May wind up having to be a weekend. We'll see.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I was in Flagstaff in October and stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It was fine, paper, free breakfast and location. The cost was about $95, if memory serves me right. Not sure if rares are higher in August.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I have not been since 1999 and for the first time since, I have the time to make it this year.

So yes, I will be taking the I-17 north to beautiful Flagstaff to watch our NFC Champs prepare for another Superbowl run.

Any ASFN group activities?

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Man - I'd love to go someday.

The last time I went to a Cardinals training camp, it was 1973 (Illinois) and I was 10 years old! And, there was some sort of a strike going on - the only "regular" player I remember seeing at the camp was Larry Stallings.

I was however, able to talk to a couple of assistant coaches...they confirmed for me that my favorite Cardinal at the time - Gary Cuozzo - had indeed retired to be a dentist full-time.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Oh yeah! The in-laws live in sedona, so we'll probably stay there and then shoot over to flag nice and early.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Road Warriors - I need advice...

I probably won't hit Flag this year but hope to get there at least before I croke.

If and when I were to do it, I'm fascinated with the idea of flying (or taking the train) to Chicago and then taking the Santa Fe dome-car train trip which terminates in Flag.

Can I still do that? Has anyone here done it? Is it worth doing? Any pitfalls?

Reaction score
I try to make it for a couple of days each year!

A downside of the Cardinals increased popularity, Flagstaff figures to be much more crowded, and expensive, during camp this year. :(

Not only will the crowds be larger, but due to that I expect there will be more security and conversely less opportunity for interaction with the players/coaches.

Ah well, a cost of success!

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I'm sure as hell going to try. Am making plans to vacation at Grand Canyon this year, and as luck would have it should be in Flagstaff for about 3 days around the same time as training camp. I'm fairly sure if you go to priceline or one of the other travel sites you can get decent hotels for 55 or 60 a night. I'll probably be staying at the Travellodge near the university.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I probably won't hit Flag this year but hope to get there at least before I croke.

If and when I were to do it, I'm fascinated with the idea of flying (or taking the train) to Chicago and then taking the Santa Fe dome-car train trip which terminates in Flag.

Can I still do that? Has anyone here done it? Is it worth doing? Any pitfalls?

The southwest chief. Starts in Chicago and terminates in LA. Albuquerque and Flagstaff are stops along the way.

http://www.cwrr.com/Amtrak/w_chief.html

OP
OP
jw7

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When is camp, BTW?

I don't think it has been announced yet, but typically it is end of July/Early Aug Time frame. I'm sure Jim O or someone will release details as soon as it is announced.

I was in Flagstaff in October and stayed at the Fairfield Inn. It was fine, paper, free breakfast and location. The cost was about $95, if memory serves me right. Not sure if rares are higher in August.

Thanks GS. That looks like a good option. It is still $95 over the summer and has free wireless and breakfast. Much better than $140.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flagstaff training camp roll call: Who is going?

It's funny when I first read it, I thought it might pertain to what players that might not show. :D

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
I will be in Flagstaff for at least 1 week of Trainig camp and 1 week in Phoenix. I will have to see the Cardinal's schedule as to when I will be at TC. Look forward to meeting as many of the poster and will be more than happy to buy you all a cocktail. I will post my itinerary as soon as I know. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn as I usually do.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I will be in Flagstaff for at least 1 week of Trainig camp and 1 week in Phoenix. I will have to see the Cardinal's schedule as to when I will be at TC. Look forward to meeting as many of the poster and will be more than happy to buy you all a cocktail. I will post my itinerary as soon as I know. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn as I usually do.
Why come to Phoenix that time of year? 2 weeks in Flag would be glorious.

I've already got my wife on board. The 100+ degree days this early certainly didn't hurt my case.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
The 1st preseason game is the 13th so I'm pretty sure the red/white scrimmage will be Saturday Aug 8th..I reserved a room at the Little America for Friday-Sun(7-9th)

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I will be competing in the "Black Canyon 100" and driving up the hill at some point. (Carddan has a secret hidden cabin on two acres of tall pines 20 miles west of Flag) I will also try to post camp updates as I did last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05