Flopping Myth Exposed

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
turn that ring a little further to read the whole thing. It says " **** the SUNS really Won."
on the inside it says "Thanks Stern for everything"

That ring is as fake as the championship it represents.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Sad that so many think that wins and losses are predicated by acting. Try tougher defense, better rebounding, smart ball control. All of that means more but no one really talks about that. Is it because whining about flops validates a veiled reason?

the champions of any sport set the example in how they conduct themselves. Faking high energy contacts(flopping) to gain an advantage for your team is part of the championship formula that all teams use, thanks to the champs. In sports that are closely contested, any player would tell you that EVERY competitive advantage is used to win. If the spurs stopped faking high energy contact and just let the calls be called, they'd have my respect at another level. For now though it appears that they must fall down and flail around to get the desired competitive advantage, get the opponent into foul trouble etc. I always respected the pistons and the shaq lakers for their tenacity. the spurs get that same respect for their efficiency and team play, but with that added caveat of being a flopping team. Apparently they believe that they cant win without it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I did read the thread. Heck, I started it. I understand that they are making a point that all charges did not result from flops, but the number of charges drawn is probably the best statistical indicator of flops. The rest is just anidotal. I was pointing out that there is no drawing of charges on offense. Additionally, the fact that Ginobili only drew 27 charges all season--fewer than Nash, Bell, or Hill--is an indication that the charge that he and the Spurs somehow are the worse flopping team in the league is groundless. It is more telling that the statistic that O'Neal and Amare are 1st and 5th in the league in charging violations per game is indicative of 2 players that don't know how to play the game without putting themselves in that position. It may be that their game benifits more from the aggressive moves to the rim than the cost of an occassional charging call hinders it which I believe is the case, but, if so then don't complain about the consequences.

"anecdotal" BIMMED

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Parker falls quite often because he has to contort his body to get the ball up past guys a foot taller than him. There is some contact at times, but it is typically incidental. Manu gets fouled going to the hole far more than he gets the call for. His herky jerky motion is so difficult to defend that he is fouled by opponents who aren't accustomed to it. He is one of the few players I have ever seen who as they take the 2 steps to the shot actually change direction. He happens to have amazing body control and is able to recover and get off a quality shot.

what's your response to eva longoria's confirmation that parker acts? i mean, if there's damning evidence, that's it. it's almost as valuable as a confession.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
Parker falls quite often because he has to contort his body to get the ball up past guys a foot taller than him. There is some contact at times, but it is typically incidental. Manu gets fouled going to the hole far more than he gets the call for. His herky jerky motion is so difficult to defend that he is fouled by opponents who aren't accustomed to it. He is one of the few players I have ever seen who as they take the 2 steps to the shot actually change direction. He happens to have amazing body control and is able to recover and get off a quality shot.

That's ridiculous. Parker flops on offense if he's being guarded by a little guy. He flops when there's no one near him. It's a con job on the refs and it cheapens the game.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
that's not a bannable offense? (read the ring)

Weird, huh? You can get banned for asking annoying questions. You can get banned for making innocuous jokes on a troll's name. But constant trolling and outright inappropriate language appears to be no problem.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
I hate idiot logic and bs justification such as, pretending you've been hit to get the foul is not cheating, as long as you get the refs to make the improper call.

(use Bud Light commercial voice)So Yay to you for ruining the integrity of a great game, Mr. "I trick the refs by falling down for no reason, Spurs basketball cheater." or in other words, "I suck so watch me make an ass outta my ass, and fall down."

It cheapens the game in so many ways:
Players cant rely on refs to make the right call.
Players know a wrong call was made so they react by telling the ref they're wrong.
Refs don't like complaining so they call technicals, further widening them from the players.
Players get unjust fouls which cause them to play less minutes and/or play more conservatively.
Fans don't get to see what they paid for when players have bs foul trouble.
It rewards acting which is not basketball.

You mean like this?

Dirty cheating Stoudemire.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
the champions of any sport set the example in how they conduct themselves. Faking high energy contacts(flopping) to gain an advantage for your team is part of the championship formula that all teams use, thanks to the champs. In sports that are closely contested, any player would tell you that EVERY competitive advantage is used to win. If the spurs stopped faking high energy contact and just let the calls be called, they'd have my respect at another level. For now though it appears that they must fall down and flail around to get the desired competitive advantage, get the opponent into foul trouble etc. I always respected the pistons and the shaq lakers for their tenacity. the spurs get that same respect for their efficiency and team play, but with that added caveat of being a flopping team. Apparently they believe that they cant win without it.

Pistons:

Check Ben Wallace's send block.

And who can remember the flop he gave Ginobili in the 2005 Finals?

Lakers:

Shaq getting shot 10 feet back by Tony Parker.
Derek Fisher, one of the best floppers of our generation.
Robert Horry wasn't really a flopper with the Lakers, only with the Spurs, right?

Sometimes your comments make me wonder if you have ever watched any basketball outside of Spurs vs. Suns series.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Nice to see Bowen doing his usual bs at :12 and :20 seconds. What an *****, he has no chance at the ball but pushes Giricek down and ends up on top.

ambchang_

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see Bowen doing his usual bs at :12 and :20 seconds. What an *****, he has no chance at the ball but pushes Giricek down and ends up on top.

Exactly, just look into what Bowen does and ignore everything else that was done.

BTW, don't you claim you had me on ignore? Is it one of those things where you hide into ignore whenever you can't argue again? I am so sick of this loser tactic.

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Why should I ignore you? Bowen is a jackass. Show me more proof of him in action. :grabs:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, because trolling another teams board makes you a winner. They don't have basements in San Antonio do they? Where does your kind live then? Does your mom let you stay in the tool shed out back instead?

flopexpert

Reaction score
Most of the charges drawn in the NBA are flops, so the stats do make plenty of sense. Few things people should realize:

1) Flops are down, more blocking violations are being called in a long time.
2) Remember, Jermaine O'Neal only played half the season. He finished in the top 10 in charges. He would have easily been #1 if played 70+ games.
3) One of the biggest floppers in the NBA, Anderson Varejao, set the record last season with 99 charges. He has also missed a huge chunk of time this season.

4) Offensive flopping is now more prevalent than defensive flopping, I think. Offensive floppers use a variety of tricks to get the whistle. The 3 biggest offensive floppers in the NBA are Iverson, Kevin Martin and Cory Maggette. Manu is up there, but these 3 consistently do whatever they can to get to the free throw line.

5) As for defensive flops, whenever you see a player do a spin move or a jump-stop, realize that he is changing his momentum, and not trying to displace the defender. Any charge you see in this situation is almost surely a flop and would otherwise be defined as "minimal contact" and play on. But it's not because the defender takes a dive and confuses the situation.

6) Nash flops. No question about it. You will even see him pre-flop. Start falling back before the contact is actually there.