FootballGuys.com on McCown

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh McCown, Arizona Cardinals - I almost listed McCown in the "Proven Commodities" category. As a part-time starter last season he had his moments. In fact, over the course of Weeks 14-16 (the aforementioned fantasy playoff weeks); McCown was actually the 3rd ranked fantasy QB (behind Volek and Culpepper). Over that span, McCown threw for 842 yards while completing 62% of his passes, while adding 7 touchdowns (5 pass, 2 rush). Dennis Green sung McCown's praises last year, comparing him to a young Brett Favre, but then seemingly soured on him after the first few weeks of the season. In spring minicamps, Green declared Kurt Warner the Cardinals starter, but given the Cardinals weapons and Warner's recent history, it's far from a reach to think McCown may be starting in Arizona at some point in 2005.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Josh McCown, Arizona Cardinals - I almost listed McCown in the "Proven Commodities" category. As a part-time starter last season he had his moments. In fact, over the course of Weeks 14-16 (the aforementioned fantasy playoff weeks); McCown was actually the 3rd ranked fantasy QB (behind Volek and Culpepper). Over that span, McCown threw for 842 yards while completing 62% of his passes, while adding 7 touchdowns (5 pass, 2 rush). Dennis Green sung McCown's praises last year, comparing him to a young Brett Favre, but then seemingly soured on him after the first few weeks of the season. In spring minicamps, Green declared Kurt Warner the Cardinals starter, but given the Cardinals weapons and Warner's recent history, it's far from a reach to think McCown may be starting in Arizona at some point in 2005.

I firmly believe that with competition, Josh will be a much better QB because of it. Now does that make him a franchise QB? Far from it, but time will tell.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Lets all just hope and prey he does.:notworthy McCown will prove to be better than Warner could ever hope

Wow thats confidence! :thumbup:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
I think we have the best 1-2 combination for starting and back-up QB that we have had in almost twenty years.

I think McCown grew up a lot last year, and he needed to. He will be much better this year, because of his association with Kurt Warner who is just a CLASS act, and because he will be another year matured, psyically and mentaly.

McCown is a Stud if his head can be trained. Kurt will teach McCown about being a champion.

I hope McCown gets the whole damn year to watch and learn, but if he doesn't, he will be ready to seize the opportunity.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redheart said:
I think we have the best 1-2 combination for starting and back-up QB that we have had in almost twenty years.

I think McCown grew up a lot last year, and he needed to. He will be much better this year, because of his association with Kurt Warner who is just a CLASS act, and because he will be another year matured, psyically and mentaly.

McCown is a Stud if his head can be trained. Kurt will teach McCown about being a champion.

I hope McCown gets the whole damn year to watch and learn, but if he doesn't, he will be ready to seize the opportunity.

It's a great situation for this team. :thumbup:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This will turn into a McCown argument thread, I will say in about 10 posts. Oh wait offseason is over and now there are actual real topics to post about. I love the beginning of a new season.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I don't think it's going to turn into a Josh this or that thread.

I think most people are happy he isn't the starter, some pray that he never will be but honestly he's right where he needs to be, a decent backup that should get a chance or two to prove if he's learned anything.

Personally I think it's great that we have a backup that will allow the team to win a game or two if we need that. He didn't have that bad a record as a starter and he's a different type player than Warner so it adds another dimension to the team if Warner gets dinged up.

I can't think of too many other teams who have that kind of luxury.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
mccown sucks. he'll be an okay backup. i'll never expect anything more from him and once navarre earns denny's trust mccown's gone.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
mccown sucks. he'll be an okay backup. i'll never expect anything more from him and once navarre earns denny's trust mccown's gone.

:biglaugh:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Against the Seahawks and 49ers prevent defenses and the brilliance of Marmie's Ram defense (all teams in the lower third of the NFL defensively as well). It's also pretty convenient how the writer neglected to mention the Tampa game.

Indiana Hoosier

Registered
Reaction score
On McCowan!

:cool: I may be wrong, but I also think Warner will be a big help to him! Down the road he will be the starter again and will do a good job.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

McCown is a great backup, and I'm happy to have him in that role for the time being. But I agree with you Ouchie, Navarre will be the backup next year more than likely...He's Denny's guy, and Josh let him down. Denny isn't emboldened to Josh at all.

I am happy with Backup Josh, but Starter Josh is asking for big, big trouble. Please, Joshites, be happy that he is in the position he SHOULD be in and stop wishing he were at the wheel of the ship.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I think McCown is just holding the job until Navarre comes up to speed next year, then he will be shipped out with all of the other hold overs.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Navarre will not be fighting McCown for the no. 2 job... he'll be in a battle with Chang for no. 3.... :D

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yea

just what we need. Two who couldn't beat ME in a race. AND, I can't run!
These two are of the same mold, in their personal lives. They have a good relationship.
Watch for McCown to grow up just enough this year.
Will he ever be "special"? I don't know. I hope so.
Does he "SUCK"? Only as much as the thread participants writings who can't find anything else to say!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
just what we need. Two who couldn't beat ME in a race. AND, I can't run!
These two are of the same mold, in their personal lives. They have a good relationship.
Watch for McCown to grow up just enough this year.
Will he ever be "special"? I don't know. I hope so.
Does he "SUCK"? Only as much as the thread participants writings who can't find anything else to say!

first of all i was joking, lighten up.

second of all, he doesn't suck anymore, but he ain't good.

third of all, i don't care if our qb's can't run 15 yards if they can make quick decisions and accurate throws. (something mccown has yet to show btw).

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

third of all, i don't care if our qb's can't run 15 yards if they can make quick decisions and accurate throws. (something mccown has yet to show btw).

But he is a good basketball player. :D

Can he shoot the 3 with accuracy. I hear the suns have a vacancy for someone who can shoot the 3 and play SG. Just dont ask him to pass the ball. :thumbup:

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
DevonCardsFan said:
This will turn into a McCown argument thread, I will say in about 10 posts. Oh wait offseason is over and now there are actual real topics to post about. I love the beginning of a new season.

Ain't it the truth, bro. :biglaugh:

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:

Hmmm...Something Vick has not been able to show either...

There! I have now combined the Vick-Sucks and Josh-Sucks arguements into a new hybrid Inaccurate-QB's-Suck thread.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan