Forcing The Ball To Marvin Harrison Junior

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Counterpoint, we should force the ball to MHJ.

We ain't winning the superbowl this year, I hate to say...

The best long term strategy for this team is the get Marv as many touches in as many different situations as possible.

That doesn't mean Kyler should be throwing into double coverage but otherwise get him the ball as much as we can.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
These kinds of games are why we get on Kyler, Crimson. He has this kind of game too often. We are not going to win many games when he plays like this, when he tries to force it where he shouldn't. He has the physical skills to force those kinds of plays, but only sometimes. Usually they're killers.

He's been great for one game, and good for half of game 1 and the very start of this one. He's been pretty terrible outside of that. We need more consistency out of him. Still, this long into his career.

Yeah I'm not really sure what to make of this game from an offensive perspective Stout. Very puzzling.

Like I said, Murray took a step back yesterday for sure, but equally concerning is the lack of production from our running game. Conner (I guess another one of your favorite whipping boys haha) with under 2 YPC. And there were some other things on offense to fret about.

But, I will say we've played probably two of the better teams in the NFL. Two very good/maybe great defenses. I think DET deserves some credit for good personnel and a good game plan.

All is not lost, and let's see what happens this upcoming week vs. the Commanders.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nabers is built different but I think Marv will be elite in year two. People can blame Petzing but he doesn’t draw up plays that are supposed to be thrown into double coverage. Kyler has to go thru this progressions better.

Agreed but I also think the gameplan yesterday was to get the ball out quickly because they were concerned about having to block Hutch with a bouncer from a nightclub playing RT.

There were multiple plays where the ball had to come out really quickly, in fact in several instances Kyler didn't even have time to dump to the RB.

But Kyler locked on and was throwing to his primary read even when doubled.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Counterpoint, we should force the ball to MHJ.

We ain't winning the superbowl this year, I hate to say...

The best long term strategy for this team is the get Marv as many touches in as many different situations as possible.

That doesn't mean Kyler should be throwing into double coverage but otherwise get him the ball as much as we can.
Kind of agree here. The pick in the endzone was under thrown. Never gave MHJ a chance on that one.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
haven't looked it up but I'm guessing about 4 of mhj's 10 completions came after running his route - with murray scrambling and mhj working to get open - you're not going to have a high completion percentage in these scenarios but again it'll only get better

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
haven't looked it up but I'm guessing about 4 of mhj's 10 completions came after running his route - with murray scrambling and mhj working to get open - you're not going to have a high completion percentage in these scenarios but again it'll only get better

Yeah. Yesterday was by no means a disaster. K1 didn't throw four picks or anything. That was his first interception of the season. MHJ maybe left a catch or two or on the field, but looked silky smooth otherwise.

I think we were maybe little hung over from the huge win last week, plus ran into a defensive buzz saw. A DET team desperate to keep it's superbowl trajectory on track.

I fully expect the offense to bounce back next week.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not really sure what to make of this game from an offensive perspective Stout. Very puzzling.

Like I said, Murray took a step back yesterday for sure, but equally concerning is the lack of production from our running game. Conner (I guess another one of your favorite whipping boys haha) with under 2 YPC. And there were some other things on offense to fret about.

But, I will say we've played probably two of the better teams in the NFL. Two very good/maybe great defenses. I think DET deserves some credit for good personnel and a good game plan.

All is not lost, and let's see what happens this upcoming week vs. the Commanders.
Ive seen predictions of a Detroit/Buffalo super bowl...so right now Im chalking a lot up to the idea we have played two very good teams..and buffalo in 35mph winds....and if we are being even half way honest we could have won either...and with all the bullshyte, absolutely should have won the Detroit game.
a month ago most would have been cool with the thought we were 1-2 with a barely loss to the bills at this point in the season. a get right game against the commies,...and 2-2 doesnt look that bad with Darius Robinson coming back, and Zay Jones coming back a week later.
But I am concerned about the deafening silence surrounding Jonah Williams

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What I took away from this game is that Petzing needs a better plan B.

His plan A is very good, maybe even great, but the recipe to stopping this offense is to stop the run and when the happens he doesn't seem to have anything but "Let's keep trying, maybe it will change".

Kyler said in his presser that they played a lot of man coverage, in which case, why didn't we give Kyler more designed runs? He had 5 for 45 yards, most of them in Q1. Run Kyler more to force them out of man. Hit the TE's more who are covered by CB4's or LB's. McBride had only 3 for 25 and Higgin 1 for 11. If you can't run through their D line run around it, use more short passes to Conner or more screens.

There was a lot Petzing did well because while it wasn't apparent he was scheming a lot to cope with Barton at RT, but he needs to have a better plan B for when teams are set up for plan A.

I also learned Kyler isn't so good vs man coverage.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Kyler forced the ball to MHJr in the Endzone and it was intercepted, that was all on Kyler. Kyler failed to read the CB dropping to double MHJr with the safety which allowed Wilson to come wide open where the CB vacated. If Kyler doesn't force the ball to MHJr and makes the correct throw, it's a 20 yard pass for a 1st down to Michael Wilson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05