Fox Names Orton Broncos Starter

Reaction score
Not really surprising. Fox hates young QB's. Probably will trade Tebow. Not sure how the fans will react to that one though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Great. You can settle for a terrible QB. Enjoy, because I certainly won't.

Orton was 12th in DVOA in 2010 and 2009 and 21st in 2008 with the Bears with no WRs. Maybe you just don't watch enough Broncos games to understand how solid Kyle Orton really is.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Orton was 12th in DVOA in 2010 and 2009 and 21st in 2008 with the Bears with no WRs. Maybe you just don't watch enough Broncos games to understand how solid Kyle Orton really is.

We've been down this down road numerous times on this board.. And the results are always that Orton is an average mediocore QB.. Hasnt won jack squat.. Hasnt done anything.. Certainly not someone I want as QB for my team.. The Cards have been down this road with QB's in the past.. I really dont want to revisit that..

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I don't think this is etched in stone by any means.

I think that if Cam Newton is available at #2---that could change everything.

It may still be smart for them to head into the season with Orton as the starter---while they prep Newton.

But---they also may wish---during or after the draft---to get something for Orton while they still can.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We've been down this down road numerous times on this board.. And the results are always that Orton is an average mediocore QB.. Hasnt won jack squat.. Hasnt done anything.. Certainly not someone I want as QB for my team.. The Cards have been down this road with QB's in the past.. I really dont want to revisit that..

Kyle Orton is at least five times better than Jeff Blake. He doesn't turn 29 until November. He's probably a more conservative, consistent Jake Plummer. He's a guy that you can win 8-10 games with if you have a solid defense. Peyton Manning is not walking through that door. Tom Brady isn't walking through that door.

You have to be competitive before you can contend for the Super Bowl. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made the playoffs two out of four seasons and only had 1 losing season with Trent Dilfer under center and Dungy at HC. From 1996 until 2002, Tampa averaged more than 9 wins per season and made 5 trips to the postseason with Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Shaun King playing quarterback.

Kyle Orton is better than all of those guys. And you could still develop a high-round quarterback behind him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've been down this down road numerous times on this board.. And the results are always that Orton is an average mediocore QB..
LOL.

We've been down the road numerous times, but no matter how much we talk about it it doesn't change the fact that Orton is a pretty good QB. He doesn't have a high ceiling, but he's very solid.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
LOL.

We've been down the road numerous times, but no matter how much we talk about it it doesn't change the fact that Orton is a pretty good QB. He doesn't have a high ceiling, but he's very solid.

I agree. He isn't a Pro Bowler but he is solid and better than any other option we have out there (unless Kolb is as good as some people think).

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not really surprising. Fox hates young QB's. Probably will trade Tebow. Not sure how the fans will react to that one though.

Right. When was the last time that a team traded a first round pick in the second year of his deal?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is possibly to jack up his trade value or something like that?

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I agree. He isn't a Pro Bowler but he is solid and better than any other option we have out there (unless Kolb is as good as some people think).

He hasn't been a pro bowler, but then again, it's hard to shine when you have next to zero talent around you. He's done very well considering the talent he's been given to work with. Give him Larry and Steve and a developing Andre and a healthy Doucet, a long with our backs and I think he might make the Pro Bowl once or twice.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If we had Orton last season, we would have won the division, no doubt. He may be mediocre, but that wins the NFC West. It's looking more and more every day like Skelton will be our starter next year for better or worse.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's looking more and more every day like Skelton will be our starter next year for better or worse.
I'm not saying it's not possible (or even likely), but what's changed over the past few weeks other than a couple of vets being taken out of the running (for now)?

There are still a lot of options out there, IMO.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I want to know for the people who hate Orton, are you the same people that think we should trade for Kolb? I certainly don't see a huge difference there and would rather give up a 3rd rounder to get Orton then to give up a 1st rounder to get Kolb.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want to know for the people who hate Orton, are you the same people that think we should trade for Kolb? I certainly don't see a huge difference there and would rather give up a 3rd rounder to get Orton then to give up a 1st rounder to get Kolb.

Same here. Except I don't for a moment think that a first will be the eventual price for Kolb.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's not possible (or even likely), but what's changed over the past few weeks other than a couple of vets being taken out of the running (for now)?

There are still a lot of options out there, IMO.

The fewer options there are the more likely it becomes. Couple that with the general "vibe" that we are going defense with the first round pick and it makes it seem likely.

I think Kolb's price is too high for us, unless we can get him for 2012 pick(s). Bulger, I feel, will get beat out by Skelton in camp if we bring him in. It just seems like he doesn't have that fire anymore.
We aren't getting Palmer.
The only realistic choices I see left are Alex Smith, Matt Hasselback, or Skelton. We have to beat out other teams in order to get one of those guys.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm with you and if anyone is interested enough they will see that I said Fox was not stupid by any means and that Orton was their guy. Our resident experts have been going down the "wrong road." Orton is a highly servicable quarterback who for the high majority of the time wins. If anyone is a Bulger fan thinks that HE would have been in the answer I can't disagree any more.

The options are limited and as we all know, nothing more important than a QB. Pay the price and get into the mix to sign Kolb...that is going to be a crowded field but worth it. The so called first round/second round QB's are all serious long shots.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Orton is a highly servicable quarterback who for the high majority of the time wins.
By my count he's a .500 QB (38-38)...and I'm in his corner; I'd love to see him in a Cardinals uni.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't hate Orton but would rather have Kolb and I would give the 2012 1st rounder for him. He's younger,has more potential, and could be the QB for years. Orton, you know what you're getting. He's a mediocre QB that is the safer pick if you want to be a 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 type team. If Kolb develops he could be a 10-12 win QB. If he doesn't then you're a 4-6 win team. I'd rather take the chance on the higher ceiling guy. There's a reason Philly can legitimately ask for a #1 for Kolb and may get some offers while, if Denver asked for a #1 for Orton would get zero interest.