Francis to NY

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You think now Marbury gets sent back to MIN as has been rumored?

I was wondering about that, but I couldn't find enough assets that the Knicks would want, even if one allows for Thomas's eccentric tastes. Of course moving Garnett is possible, but then that would defeat the entire purpose for the Wolves.

My hunch is that, after hearing the rest of the world laugh at how ridiculous a Marbury/Francis pairing is, Thomas is going to gut it out for a while in a stubborn attempt to prove everyone wrong.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
elindholm said:
You think now Marbury gets sent back to MIN as has been rumored?

I was wondering about that, but I couldn't find enough assets that the Knicks would want, even if one allows for Thomas's eccentric tastes. Of course moving Garnett is possible, but then that would defeat the entire purpose for the Wolves.

My hunch is that, after hearing the rest of the world laugh at how ridiculous a Marbury/Francis pairing is, Thomas is going to gut it out for a while in a stubborn attempt to prove everyone wrong.

Jaric and Griffin plus salary fillers? That means NY would have to dump a couple guys. Do they have any contracts they can dump, or are they all stuck?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Jaric and Griffin plus salary fillers? That means NY would have to dump a couple guys. Do they have any contracts they can dump, or are they all stuck?

Why would they have to dump anyone? They've just completed a 2 for 1 trade, another one will put their roster as the same amount they had before the Francis trade.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Why would they have to dump anyone? They've just completed a 2 for 1 trade, another one will put their roster as the same amount they had before the Francis trade.

Jaric and Griffin plus salary fillers

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jaric and Griffin plus salary fillers?

It would have to be a lot of salary fillers, and all of Minnesota's medium-salary players are on long contracts. I know we're talking about Isiah Thomas, but even so, I don't see him taking on, say, Trenton Hassel through 2010.

The Knicks might have to dump someone, but that in itself wouldn't be a big problem. They could eat Shandon Anderson's salary and it wouldn't kill them. For that matter, what's the deal with Allan Houston? Is he officially retired yet? The Knicks still have to pay him, but he wouldn't hold a roster spot.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Jaric and Griffin plus salary fillers

Gotcha. My bad.

They'd have to throw in like Hassell and Hudson to make it work. That's a lot to give up for Marbury.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Marbury for Hudson/Jaric/Griffin/Frahm works according to RealGM. Then NY would probably release Frahm and Jackie Butler, or someone minor, to get under the roster limit....

In the 2 trades, they trade 3 players and take back 5, so in my estimation, they'd have to release 2....

goldseraph

Irrelevance Sucks :(
Reaction score
I like this trade for the Magic. Ariza and Turkoglu are nice to have off the bench 'when' Hill is healthy, which can never be counted on. Ariza brings youth and athleticism to the team, along with nice size at 6'8". But basically it is all about getting Steve-O out of town, along with his bloated salary. Stevie is too small, not a great leader on the court, and a head case off the court. This basically completes the aftermath of John Weisclod's horrific T-Mac trade. Both Steve-O and his girlfriend Mobley have been shipped out for basically nothing, and Cato is gone and never contributed much either. So basically we got Darko, Ariza, Arroyo for Tmac and a 1st round pick. Typical brilliant Magic management.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
goldseraph said:
So basically we got Darko, Ariza, Arroyo for Tmac and a 1st round pick. Typical brilliant Magic management.
Hey, that's still better than Shawn Marion and Andre Iguodala though, right? :lol:

IMO Hockey Guy was the one who blew it. The 'new guys' are just trying to clean things up, and they're doing an OK job so far.

My guess is that Orlando is pointing to 2007 for free agency. That's when Grant Hill comes off the books for them.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Gotta love the Knicks.

I am going to get a kick out of watching that terrible team crumble with all the drama that is guaranteed with the characters they have.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a myth that Marbury doesn't pass the ball. The problem is that he only passes the ball on drive and kick outs (or at least that's the way it seems).

Isiah has never understoon how Marbury plays and thus doesn't collect the right kind of players for him - ie lots of great catch and shoot guys.

Instead, the Knicks keep chasing a low post threat that Marbury won't pass to and guys who can run who Marbury won't pass to. :confused:

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
It is a myth that Marbury doesn't pass the ball. The problem is that he only passes the ball on drive and kick outs (or at least that's the way it seems).

Isiah has never understoon how Marbury plays and thus doesn't collect the right kind of players for him - ie lots of great catch and shoot guys.

Instead, the Knicks keep chasing a low post threat that Marbury won't pass to and guys who can run who Marbury won't pass to. :confused:

I don't think Francis and Marbury can co exist. There is still talk that the Nuggets and Knicks are talking primarily on a possible Crawford for Watson deal but that just is going muddy the water as well by adding Watson to Robinson, Marbury and Francis.

One scenerio that I could see with the Nugs and Knicks is based on the rumor that the Nuggets were after Iverson. If they are interested in Iverson they could be interested in Marbury.

Andre Miller, Kenyon Martin and Greg Buckner

for

Stephon Marbury and Maurice Taylor

Marbury would be a duplication of Gary Payton in George Karl's sceme.

Then the Nuggets could proceed on this deal

Earl Watson and Bryon Russell

for

Reggie Evans, Patapenko and Flip Murray

That would lead to my deal for Elson

Jim Jackson and TE

for

Elson and Voshon Leonard (who would be waived)

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think this trade just proves what someone said the other day - Thomas is trying force Larry Brown to walk.

Errntknght

Reaction score
>>How come you don't use the quote feature?

1. Posts with quotes take up too much room on the screen. There's that big clumsy rectangle and then several blank lines below. It bugs me.

2. If you click "quote," you get the whole post. The only way to quote an excerpt is to do more editing, which is annoying.

3. People recognize when their own words are repeated, so it isn't necessary to include an attribution.<<

Amazing! Eric and I agree on something! Though I prefer an attribution (except when I get it wrong) - the writer will probably recognize he's the author but others might want to be reminded.

OP
OP
N

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
1. Posts with quotes take up too much room on the screen. There's that big clumsy rectangle and then several blank lines below. It bugs me.

2. If you click "quote," you get the whole post. The only way to quote an excerpt is to do more editing, which is annoying.

3. People recognize when their own words are repeated, so it isn't necessary to include an attribution.
Why do you use italics instead of something more readable (like a different color)?

jibikao

Reaction score
I wonder what the Knicks fans think of this? Any good Knicks forums? espn forums suck.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jibikao said:
I wonder what the Knicks fans think of this? Any good Knicks forums? espn forums suck.

My guess is that the Knick's fans expect this is just a prelude to another trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Why do you use italics instead of something more readable (like a different color)?

No one has ever complained about Italics before. It's easier to type the string "[ i ]" than it is "[ color = whatever ]," and I also don't like formatting with the buttons at the top.

I could do bold, but it looks ostentatious. Anyway, Italics are traditional, from netnews and some email programs.

jibikao

Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
My guess is that the Knick's fans expect this is just a prelude to another trade.

Well, I went to one of the forums and they all say it is Larry Brown who wants Francis more so than IT.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I wonder what the over under is on how long before Francis and Marbury get into a lockerroom fight.

I give 'em a week.

jibikao

Reaction score
Just found this interesting quote:

[SIZE=-2] "I'm excited about it, and I'm anxious to see how Steph and Steve play together," said Larry Brown, adding that he "bugged Isiah when I saw" that Francis was available.

With Francis on the club, and skilled athletic players like Jamal Crawford and Jalen Rose in the rotation, Marbury said the Knicks should follow the Phoenix Suns model and go up-tempo. "I don't think we should run any set plays," he said. "I think we should just be pushing the ball every chance we get."

--------------

So, Marbury wants to play our style... what do you guys think?
[/SIZE]

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Just found this interesting quote:

[SIZE=-2] "I'm excited about it, and I'm anxious to see how Steph and Steve play together," said Larry Brown, adding that he "bugged Isiah when I saw" that Francis was available.

With Francis on the club, and skilled athletic players like Jamal Crawford and Jalen Rose in the rotation, Marbury said the Knicks should follow the Phoenix Suns model and go up-tempo. "I don't think we should run any set plays," he said. "I think we should just be pushing the ball every chance we get."

--------------

So, Marbury wants to play our style... what do you guys think?
[/SIZE]

Marbury never was able to run the Sun's style offense. Perhaps Francis can, although I doubt it.

jibikao

Reaction score
I wonder who is going to be the main PG... Marbury or Francis.

Neither of them have high basketball IQ, as far as I can tell. When I used to watch Francis and Yao together, his passing is darn slow and hesitant. The only thing he knows best is to create his own shot. Marbury hasn't shown that he is good at passing and running the offense either.

You know what, maybe...just MAYBE they ARE better off not running any set offense. I mean when Larry Brown wants Marbury to run the team, he just can't do it. I guess in a way the reason Pistons is so good this year is that the starters have way more freedom now. Just like how Nash has way more freedom here in Suns than in Mavs.

Just maybe... this Marbury/Francis run&gun style may work but the only thing they need to worry about is defense. I mean we have Marion to cover a lot of area and Bell/Diaw. I am not too sure if Marbury/Francis are great at defense...and Crawford/Rose?