Freaking ESPN

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not always sure who the "Media" is. Tim Legler of ESPN has been a big Suns proponent all season. None the less, the real problem with the media is that they are mostly in New York (and to a lesser extent LA).

They don't see many games, don't account for injuries, and frankly don't do their homework.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yout hink that matters? I'm talking about the current group of players.

It matters to me. I've suffered through two Finals series losses and six Western Conference Finals disappointments. It's 30 years of agitation, and I'm OWED doggonit. It's amazing I haven't become an alcoholic after all the teasing without satisfaction.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not always sure who the "Media" is. Tim Legler of ESPN has been a big Suns proponent all season. None the less, the real problem with the media is that they are mostly in New York (and to a lesser extent LA).

They don't see many games, don't account for injuries, and frankly don't do their homework.

If the media picks the Spurs or Mavs over the Suns why is it they have a problem? Its not like those two teams dont have legit shots at winning it all. If the media started picking other teams over the Suns then I'd have a problem with it.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the media picks the Spurs or Mavs over the Suns why is it they have a problem? Its not like those two teams dont have legit shots at winning it all. If the media started picking other teams over the Suns then I'd have a problem with it.

:stupid:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It matters to me. I've suffered through two Finals series losses and six Western Conference Finals disappointments. It's 30 years of agitation, and I'm OWED doggonit. It's amazing I haven't become an alcoholic after all the teasing without satisfaction.

Try being a Cardinal fan, talk about haing suffered.:bang:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I personally like hearing the so-called-experts picking against us. I love hearing Greg Anthony and Skipp Bayless regurgitate the same crap they've been told. The Chuckster can pick against the suns all season long for all I care, and Stephen A. Smith's yelling about our style having no chance in the playoff is great. (BTW what the hell happened to him, did he get ostracized or something?).

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score

People have been writing us off for 3 years. First they said we couldn't be successful with our style over the long haul of a season. Then they said we couldn't win a series in the playoffs with our style. Then they said we couldnt go deep into the playoffs with our style. Then last year we couldn't win with our health issues. Then again we couldn't go deep with our style in the playoffs.

If anything, the Suns keep proving the critics wrong. They have one thing left to prove and there is no doubt about what the Suns "want". I swear if I hear one more analyst say the Suns can't play their style in the playoffs after 3 years I am going to :barf:

All true, but it's never bothered me much and the "proving the critics wrong" is the best part. Last year is a good example when everyone scratched them off in November and they still made a great run to the WCF. Getting that far isn't enough -- that's not "the prize." Still it was about triple what was expected, and it was fun.

This year the Suns are stronger with some of those missing pieces back. Anything can happen in the playoffs -- and it usually does -- but the odds are better. With a healthy, motivated team and a little luck (let's face it, everyone needs a little luck) this could be the year we pull off the big surprise. I'd love to see Nash holding up the trophy in June. And I'd really love seeing Barkley fall off his chair.

fordronken

Reaction score
Every year in the Nash-D'Antoni era, the Suns have exceeded preseason expectations. Let's check:

Year 1: Suns were expected to be a bubble playoff team. They won 62 games and went to the conference finals.

Year 2: Suns were expected to tread water around .500 until Amare came back, and then see if he could be healthy in time for the team to make some noise in the playoffs. Amare never came back, but they stormed to a division title and fought their way to the conference finals again.

Year 3: Suns were expected to be a championship contender. How do you exceed those expectations? Well, I think we all know the answer to that.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The burden of proof is clearly on the Suns and it doesn't matter if we have homecourt or not. The Spurs have built a reputation over the years and have won rings. The Mavs have been hot this year and made it to the finals last season. So why would you expect the Suns to be picked over them??

Suns have to prove it this year...PERIOD.

You speak for me. But I'll say this, I bet the network people are praying for the Suns to make the finals. And so are half the players in the NBA who would love to play this way.

Hell, I just watched a bunch of average athletes for Notre Dame almost beat Georgetown by playing Mike D'Antoni's offense. I thought I was watching the Suns, minus the talent.

I know all of you watch a lot of hoops. Don't you see Suns style cropping up everywhere in college?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You speak for me. But I'll say this, I bet the network people are praying for the Suns to make the finals. And so are half the players in the NBA who would love to play this way.

Hell, I just watched a bunch of average athletes for Notre Dame almost beat Georgetown by playing Mike D'Antoni's offense. I thought I was watching the Suns, minus the talent.

I know all of you watch a lot of hoops. Don't you see Suns style cropping up everywhere in college?

Arizona has been a running team for years. If anything, I've noticed that the Suns seemed to have picked up the college game rather than the other way around. In fact, recently they seemed to have even adopted the college way of switching up zone and man-to-man defenses. And people wonder why the college game seems so much more "fun" to basketball junkies.

fordronken

Reaction score
Arizona has been a running team for years. If anything, I've noticed that the Suns seemed to have picked up the college game rather than the other way around. In fact, recently they seemed to have even adopted the college way of switching up zone and man-to-man defenses. And people wonder why the college game seems so much more "fun" to basketball junkies.

D'Antoni has actually said that he picked up his style more from high school and college than from Europe. It was supposedly pretty revolutionary/unorthodox when he started coaching out there.

HooverDam

Reaction score
D'Antoni has actually said that he picked up his style more from high school and college than from Europe. It was supposedly pretty revolutionary/unorthodox when he started coaching out there.

D'Antoni also says that his current style is just the way he's always been told to play basketball and played it himself. Its how the ABA was, and he's just bringing that back- he admits its nothing new.

As for people picking the Spurs over the Suns, its expected, but I think they are wrong. The Suns are in a way, built for the Spurs, they brought KT in almost specifically to slow guys like Duncan. The Suns have Amare who can tear apart the Spurs "centers," Nash can hide on Bowen, Bell covers Manu well, and Marion can use his speed on Parker.

The Mavs are a much tougher match up for the Suns in my estimation. However, with Daniels now in Indiana, I think the Suns do match up a bit better with Dallas. Nash can hide to a certain extent on Devin Harris. Marion can cover Dirk (to some degree). Amare can cover Dampier, Bell on Terry and Diaw on Howard. The Diaw on Howard match up is a bit concerning, in an ideal world I think Marion would be great on Howard, but he's busy on Dirk, I'd like to see Marion and Diaw switch defensive assignments a few times tonight and see if the change of pace helps on defense.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
D'Antoni also says that his current style is just the way he's always been told to play basketball and played it himself. Its how the ABA was, and he's just bringing that back- he admits its nothing new.

As for people picking the Spurs over the Suns, its expected, but I think they are wrong. The Suns are in a way, built for the Spurs, they brought KT in almost specifically to slow guys like Duncan. The Suns have Amare who can tear apart the Spurs "centers," Nash can hide on Bowen, Bell covers Manu well, and Marion can use his speed on Parker.

The Mavs are a much tougher match up for the Suns in my estimation. However, with Daniels now in Indiana, I think the Suns do match up a bit better with Dallas. Nash can hide to a certain extent on Devin Harris. Marion can cover Dirk (to some degree). Amare can cover Dampier, Bell on Terry and Diaw on Howard. The Diaw on Howard match up is a bit concerning, in an ideal world I think Marion would be great on Howard, but he's busy on Dirk, I'd like to see Marion and Diaw switch defensive assignments a few times tonight and see if the change of pace helps on defense.

Good writeup.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

Hoover, for the most part, I agree with your assessment. One thing we have to keep in mind is this - when the Suns are running, the other team tires quicker. In order to be successful against equal or superior teams in the playoffs, the Suns must do a better job of imposing its will on others, rather than letting them dictate tempo. The opponents’ big men will be less likely to battle 'successfully' for rebounds in the 3rd-4th quarter if they have tired legs. Opponents’ shooters will settle in a spot on the court, rather than move without the ball when their legs get tired. And most importantly, it is demoralizing to see another team constantly score quickly with dunks and 3-pointers.

This is crucial to the Success of the PHX Suns. I don't doubt our efficiency in the half-court game, but I am much more confident when we run.

BTW, this is why teams try hard to keep Shawn Marion ineffective - he dictates the Suns' tempo more than any other player, including Nash... IMO.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Against the Mavs, the Suns MUST hit their open jumpers to win. That isn't true against weaker teams, but against the Mavs the Suns cannot afford a bad shooting night.

The Suns represent a "choose your poison" issue for defenses, especially when Boris is involved. You can:

1. Pack the paint to stop Amare, the pick and roll, and back door stuff. This leaves the Suns shooters open for a barrage of three pointers.

2. Get the ball out of Nash's hands with double teams. This leaves Diaw available for drive and kick plays.

3. Play the shooters and make Nash do it on his own. Sometimes it works, but Nash could score 30 almost every game if teams played him that way all the time.

4. Play tight man to man with an emphasis on the passing lanes. This means someone is left alone trying to stop Barbosa.

5. Play matchup zone. This leaves a hole in the middle of the defense for a guy who can get to the basket, drive and kick, make interior passes, and hit mid range jumpers.

All of this is half court stuff. Obviously opponents have far more trouble with the Suns if the Suns get out an run. This means that opponents cannot afford to make turnovers or miss their jumpers. Many opponents find that they get easy jump shots early, but then risk getting into a running match. Waiting to take their shots reduces their offensive options.

Teams that shoot really well against the Suns can generally beat them, but it is hard for most teams to run all the game and keep their outside touch.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's more from the espn writers
[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]3. Who is your pick (so far) for NBA MVP?[/FONT]
Bucher: Steve Nash. Just because the voters screwed up and didn't recognize Kobe Bryant last year doesn't mean Nash should pay the price this year, when he deserves it more than ever before. The arguments I hear for Dirk is that he's the best player on the best team and that "he's due," as if he's accrued brownie points over the years.
[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]4. Are the Mavs better because of the departure of Steve Nash?[/FONT]

Anthony: They are. As great as Nash was, he was doing in Dallas the same things he's doing in Phoenix. A perimeter-oriented, high-flying offense is not going to win you a title. They're better off being apart. In sports, sometimes you get addition by subtraction. Dirk learned to have more of an impact this year by playing like the 7-footer he is.

Broussard: It's very hard to say the Mavericks are better without Steve Nash, but that seems to be the case. With Nash, they almost certainly would not be the defensive powerhouse they have become, and that's the very reason the Mavericks are legit contenders. We probably saw the best the Mavs could do with Nash during his stint there. Nash is without question the best point guard in the league, but he's not the most versatile (in terms of defense and style of play), and that lack of versatility would hinder the Mavs' move to the type of hard-nosed, defensive-minded team they've become.

Bucher: No. They're better because they've created a better fit between their coach and their personnel and they've stopped making major changes every year, which was the case when Nash was there. The argument that they couldn't play their current brand of D with Nash is superfluous; they never tried while he was there, so we'll never know. This we do know: No one tries harder than Nash to be a good team defender and team D is what the Mavs play so well.

Hollinger: Of course not. But they did enough good things once they lost Nash -- trading Antoine Walker for Jason Terry, signing Erick Dampier and DeSagana Diop, trading Antawn Jamison for Jerry Stackhouse and Devin Harris -- that they're a better team now than when Nash played there.

Sheridan: They're better because the rest of the team has matured, and the pieces brought in around Nowitzki have fit. But if they had kept Nash instead of giving that money to Dampier, we might be talking about a 73-to-75-win team.

Stein: No. They're better than they were because they've made a string of home run roster decisions since Nash's departure to reload around Nowitzki and because Avery Johnson has forced the new Mavs -- starting with Dirk -- to be more accountable defensively than they've ever been before. I will always believe that if Nash had stayed and played for Avery, helped along by the new rules curtailing defensive contact on the perimeter and the presence of Josh Howard as their starry wingman, that the Mavs would have at least one championship and be feared every year. I reject the notion that Nowitzki and Nash had to separate to get this good, as they're two guys who get better every year and who would have been challenged like never before by the Lil' General.
[FONT=Arial,Hevetica,sans-serif]6. Will the Suns win it all?[/FONT]
Anthony: I don't think so. They don't have enough "effort" players -- that's what separates the Spurs and Mavs from the Suns. San Antonio showed this two years ago when it eliminated Phoenix in five games in part because of the Spurs' ability to make effort plays.

Broussard: Suns will not win it all. Not enough D, baby!

Bucher: Yes. Because Steve Nash looks like a man on a mission. Because, had they stayed healthy, they were good enough to win it last year without Amare Stoudemire. Because this is as close to the Bulls' last dance as any team in recent memory has been. Because everyone says you can't win without defense, ignoring that Phoenix's has improved mightily. And because injuries, not the opposition, put the brakes on last year's offense in the postseason.

Hollinger: Phoenix has a much tougher road because of two things: (1) the Suns aren't as deep as Dallas and thus are more susceptible to injury problems, and (2) they have to beat San Antonio and Dallas in succession. I wouldn't be shocked if they won, but right now they're the league's third-best team and have to beat Nos. 1 and 2 to win it all.

Sheridan: Again, if I'm going with the Spurs, I have to count these guys out somewhere along the way. I'd like to see San Antonio get an opportunity to beat both Dallas and Phoenix to prove my point.

Stein: Having to beat San Antonio and Dallas just to get to the Finals is the biggest issue Phoenix faces, not that well-worn hogwash about the Suns' style of play not working in the playoffs. They've reached the conference finals two years running in spite of major injuries both years (Joe Johnson in 2005; Amare Stoudemire and Raja Bell in 2006). I won't be surprised in the least if they go all the way this time. As the Suns' coaches like to say, they've got "seven starters." The best top-seven players in the league, in other words. With good health in the 2007 playoffs, why not?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2797091

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow...Anthony is the biggest moron on ESPN, and that's saying a lot! The guys that are betting against the Suns are at least making a rational argument.

sandeepgm

Reaction score
Ric bucher hates dallas. Last year he said Josh howard is the MVP for dallas and this year he still says the same. Figures why he is the only one who thinks nash should win the MVP over nowitzki.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ric bucher hates dallas. Last year he said Josh howard is the MVP for dallas and this year he still says the same. Figures why he is the only one who thinks nash should win the MVP over nowitzki.

The ESPN panel is all about the now. If it were the Suns that just completed their 17 game winning streak, everyone would be saying that Nash would be MVP, and the Suns would be the team to beat.

sandeepgm

Reaction score
The ESPN panel is all about the now. If it were the Suns that just completed their 17 game winning streak, everyone would be saying that Nash would be MVP, and the Suns would be the team to beat.

Well i am sure a 17 win streak will make them notice but it is reasonable to do that. I just cant understand how warped buchers mind can be for him to think Josh is the MVP of the mavericks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i am sure a 17 win streak will make them notice but it is reasonable to do that. I just cant understand how warped buchers mind can be for him to think Josh is the MVP of the mavericks.

What about the Suns 17 and 15 game streaks? What about San Antonio winning 13 in a row as of last night?

sandeepgm

Reaction score
All i am saying is it is reasonable for some of them to say "if you have a 17 win streak currently that you are the best for now". I am sure they did that when the suns had that streak.

Some are not convinced of either teams like ric bucher who is not convinced of dallas and greg anthony for suns. Well both the suns and mavericks have not won anything so they have some reason to say that.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score

I was rooting for the Suns in 93 btw. . . I love KJ, Bark, & Thunder Dan. Had a Thunder Dan jersey matter of fact. Home white.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05