Free Agency 2018

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good lord I just read the Celtics still have:

• Own all first-round picks (2019 through 2025)

• The better of Sacramento's or Philadelphia's 2019 first-round pick (protected No. 1)

• Memphis' 2019 first-round pick (protected Nos. 1-8, Nos. 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021)

• Clippers' 2019 first-round pick (protected Nos. 1-14 until 2020, will turn into a 2022 second if not conveyed)

Ainge is amazing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord I just read the Celtics still have:

• Own all first-round picks (2019 through 2025)

• The better of Sacramento's or Philadelphia's 2019 first-round pick (protected No. 1)

• Memphis' 2019 first-round pick (protected Nos. 1-8, Nos. 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021)

• Clippers' 2019 first-round pick (protected Nos. 1-14 until 2020, will turn into a 2022 second if not conveyed)

Ainge is amazing.

This is why I was reluctant for the Suns to part with the future Miami pick. I bet the 76ers have a good stash of picks as well. It's always good to be forward thinking.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly right. Look how Ainge has dealt with Smart. Let him test the market THEN start negotiating. Pay them what they’re worth, not what they thought they’re worth.

I gotta admit. I was pretty critical of McD for not signing Len to something reasonable. Instead he just let the QO offer stand. In retrospect it was exactly the right thing to do.

I'm hoping some of the way Ainge operates rubbed off on McDonough. I was wanting the Suns to keep Len on a reasonable contract as well.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm hoping some of the way Ainge operates rubbed off on McDonough. I was wanting the Suns to keep Len on a reasonable contract as well.
If you are going to run a team like Ainge does, you are not going be the most popular GM with the players.

They love the guys that overpay.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I was reluctant for the Suns to part with the future Miami pick. I bet the 76ers have a good stash of picks as well. It's always good to be forward thinking.
But sometimes you have to do some present thinking. We need a good team now. Not in 3 years. It's time to start winning.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you are going to run a team like Ainge does, you are not going be the most popular GM with the players.

But I’m not a player. I’m a fan. And he’s winning and still building for the future. So he’s damned popular with me if I’m a Celtics fan!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think McD values picks as much as Ainge. He's traded 2 now in fairly average deals. The Laker pick for Knight and then the Heat pick for Bridges. The Knight trade was worse, not only because he hasn't worked out. It was bad because it showed he was committed to the 2 PG offense more than he should have been. It was a gimmick and should have been viewed as a failure after he needed to send out 2 of the 3 PG's he had that were part of that system out because they weren't happy in their roles.

The Bridges trade may be a good deal, I don't know if it will be considered great down the road even if Bridges is a solid player. He created a logjam that lowered our wings values if he hopes to deal any of them. We'll see what happens with that though.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think McD values picks as much as Ainge. He's traded 2 now in fairly average deals. The Laker pick for Knight and then the Heat pick for Bridges. The Knight trade was worse, not only because he hasn't worked out. It was bad because it showed he was committed to the 2 PG offense more than he should have been. It was a gimmick and should have been viewed as a failure after he needed to send out 2 of the 3 PG's he had that were part of that system out because they weren't happy in their roles.

The Bridges trade may be a good deal, I don't know if it will be considered great down the road even if Bridges is a solid player. He created a logjam that lowered our wings values if he hopes to deal any of them. We'll see what happens with that though.
I think Ainge would gladly trade those picks, he just hasn't had too. When he was trying to get Charlottes first round pick (so he could draft Winslow) he actually offered 4 of his first rounder stash for him and MJ refused (and drafted Kaminsky instead). Ainge later said he was glad that trade did not work out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But sometimes you have to do some present thinking. We need a good team now. Not in 3 years. It's time to start winning.

It's always good to have an influx of cheap talent via drafts picks and for trade down the road. The Suns improved this off season but their future is still down the road. The Western Conference improved this off season as well. It's a journey. The Suns will need to keep improving. Without draft capital like the Celtics and 76ers it will be harder to sustain growth long term.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think McDonough qualifies. :p

Ask Dragic, Bledsoe the Morris brothers, IT and probably a lot of players I'm leaving out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I sometimes think McDonough believes he can take a shortcut, like replacing Dragic with Knight.

Bridges may be a nice player but I think the future Miami pick will come back to haunt him. Reaching will get a GM in trouble in a hurry. If the Suns wanted to use the Miami pick now, I think it could have been better used to acquire a proven player such as a point guard.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Ainge would gladly trade those picks, he just hasn't had too. When he was trying to get Charlottes first round pick (so he could draft Winslow) he actually offered 4 of his first rounder stash for him and MJ refused (and drafted Kaminsky instead). Ainge later said he was glad that trade did not work out.

I think he'll trade them but he's going to make sure he's able to win the trade, overall. He doesn't undersell their value and even seems to be good at predicting which will be more valuable to them down the road. He's not the type to make a decision quickly because a player is pressuring him or it may not be possible down the line.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beasley goes to the Lakers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05