Free Agency to Date

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
vinnymac said:
you are trying to tell me that the only player left on the roster from the cowboys last superbowl win, spent all of his 12 years in the nfl with the cowboys, and 10 time pro bowl ol is not the leader on that oline.

What does any of that have to do with being a leader. All it tells me was that he was a multi pro bowler and a long time ago super bowl champion.

Allen has missed the beginning of the last 2 training camps becuase he has failed their physical and showed up fat and way out of shape, he and Parcells butted heads about his rehabilition and workout regime which recently he changed in 2003 after an ankle injury and changed his workouts to make him self stronger and bigger which is not a good combo on a bum ankle and destroyed his ability to pull and play against defenders in the second level which made him so good. Parcells would have cut him last year if their big FA acquastion riveria didnt have an injury set back. The guy is known as a quiet introvert. That does not scream leadership to me.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
49ers Land Perennial Pro Bowl Guard Back
Friday, March 24, 2006
By: Chrissy Mauck

A relatively quiet second week of free agency comes to an emphatic finale for the 49ers with the acquisition of former Dallas Cowboys high-profile guard Larry Allen.

Long recognized as the NFL’s premier offensive lineman with 10 Pro Bowls and eight All-Pro selections on his resume, Allen’s services were immediately sought by several NFL teams when his release by the Cowboys was announced on Wednesday.
The 49ers secured the former Sonoma State standout early on Friday morning.

“He’s a future Hall of Fame guard and we are very fortunate to have him here with us,” said Vice President of Player Personnel Scot McCloughan. “One of our objectives is to be able to run the football and he’s a power guard who gives us a chance to do that. It helps us control the line of scrimmage, and with several young players on our line, we believe he can help them to develop both on an off the field.”
Originally a second-round draft pick in 1994, Allen spent the last 12 seasons in Dallas including two seasons spent under the 49ers current offensive line coach George Warhop, who coached for the Cowboys in 2003 and 2004.

"I’m glad to be back with George,” said Allen. “He gives you all the information you need and he’s a great coach.”

Allen owns a career-best bench press of 705 pounds and a squat lift of 900 pounds, and is considered to be the strongest man ever to play professional football. His dedication to the weight room began his rookie year after an encounter with the late Reggie White.

“I played against Reggie my rookie year and he just threw me aside and ever since then I’ve been at the weights,” said Allen.

Perhaps the best indication of Allen’s ability is that Hall of Fame running back Emmitt Smith gained 11,463 of his 17,162 career yards with Dallas after Allen joined the team.

Everyone who plays against Larry Allen week in and week out throughout the course of an NFL season has his work cut out for him and knows it,” said head coach Mike Nolan. “It would only be a fool who tells you different. I would say without question he’s one of the greatest offensive lineman ever. He’s one of the best.”

Allen obviously brings strength, talent, and experience with him to San Francisco, but the 13-year veteran also plans to bring a level of nastiness.

We need to get everyone tough,” said Allen. “I love being nasty out there. You’ve got to make the other guy quit.”
Allen moved into the starting lineup at right tackle as a rookie. He was the right guard from 1995-97 before playing at left tackle in '97 and '98. He was a stalwart at left guard from 1999 through 2005, except for a short stint at right tackle in 2002.

Nolan said Allen will start at left guard alongside last year’s top free agent signing in tackle Jonas Jennings.

One of the things that was real important as soon as the season ended was to add a veteran player who would not only give us good performance but also someone who would give us leadership, someone who had some pelts on this wall that this young unit could look to for some direction in what their job was to move the offense,” said Nolan. “I’m very confident that Larry gives us that.”
Last year’s starting left guard Justin Smiley will be moved to the right side and will compete with both David Baas and Eric Heitmann. Nolan expects Jeremy Newberry to be in the mix at center, but indicated that both Baas and Heitmann will see work at center as well.

With Jennings set to resume his starting spot at left tackle, Adam Snyder will move to the right side to compete with Kwame Harris for the starting position.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
49ers Land Perennial Pro Bowl Guard Back
Friday, March 24, 2006
By: Chrissy Mauck

I get what you are saying. But would you really expect anything other then a fluff piece from the teams own website, coach and player.

The guy is known as shy and an introvert inside the locker room and around the media. He may be a leader by example but he is not a vocal leader, never has been. And even that leader by example thing is starting to go towards the way side. Larry stopped doing as much cardio, endurance, and agility training after his ankle injury in 2002. Mainly working on strength excercises which made him strong but a blob of his former self and no longer able to pull, go to the second level, or last a whole game, and doing so completely ignoring the coaches and training staff. In fact he is stronger now then he was 5 years ago but he is 10 times slower and wears down heavily as the game and season goes on. The guy failed a physical 2 years in a row going into mini camp becuase he was fat as heck. Thats not leading by example in the offseason. Maybe he can be a leader in the locker room but he hasnt shown to be a leader anywhere else.

Here is an article by Rick Gosselin one of the most respected Dallas sports reporter state wide and nationally, and has the most inside connections to the Cowboys. He wrote a similar piece a year ago when Allen failed his precamp physical before camp for a 2nd straight year. So he isnt crying over spilled milk.

Quick Take: With reputation well-grounded, Allen should call it quits

Bill Parcells has officially emptied the pool.

Larry Allen, the last link to the Cowboys' championship past, has been released. Parcells saw a player who was getting by on reputation – and reputation doesn't win football games.

Does Allen continue playing? Jerry Jones made him a rich man in 2002 when he signed Allen to a contract extension through the 2007 season that was supposed to allow him to retire a Cowboy.

But that was before Parcells arrived. And before Allen regressed from his Pro Bowl form into just another guard. Sure, Allen went to his 10th Pro Bowl last month. But that honor was a reflection of what Allen once was as a blocker.

NFL players have historically voted their peers to Hawaii based on reputation – and Allen was playing on a reputation he crafted in the 1990s as an NFL all-decade selection.

At 34, Allen can probably milk another year or two out of his career like Emmitt Smith did. But what's the purpose? Allen ought to talk to Smith before he signs anything. Smith privately regrets spending the final two years of his Hall of Fame-caliber career with the lowly Arizona Cardinals.

Can you see Allen wearing a helmet of the Houston Texans? Or the New Orleans Saints? Or, gasp, the Washington Redskins?

I wanted Larry when he was first brought up as a possible cut. But after reading up on the issue for about a day, I quickly realized what Gosselin was saying, I was judging him on reputation alone and not by his last few years. Now I would still have taken him if the price was right without a doubt, but 5 Mill a year is not anywhere close to his skill level anymore. So in the end either side of the fence you are on and each side has a right to their opinions and may have a point either way you look at it and I see both sides as I was one the other side at one point, but in the end he wasnt worth nor did we have 5 Mill to sign him in the first place.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I wanted Larry when he was first brought up as a possible cut. But after reading up on the issue for about a day, I quickly realized what Gosselin was saying, I was judging him on reputation alone and not by his last few years. Now I would still have taken him if the price was right without a doubt, but 5 Mill a year is not anywhere close to his skill level anymore. So in the end either side of the fence you are on and each side has a right to their opinions and may have a point either way you look at it and I see both sides as I was one the other side at one point, but in the end he wasnt worth nor did we have 5 Mill to sign him in the first place.

hmmm...

I still have flashbacks of Allen wearing out guys like Mao Tosi.

We'll get two real good chances in 06' to see if you're right joe.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I get what you are saying. But would you really expect anything other then a fluff piece from the teams own website, coach and player.

The guy is known as shy and an introvert inside the locker room and around the media. He may be a leader by example but he is not a vocal leader, never has been. And even that leader by example thing is starting to go towards the way side. Larry stopped doing as much cardio, endurance, and agility training after his ankle injury in 2002. Mainly working on strength excercises which made him strong but a blob of his former self and no longer able to pull, go to the second level, or last a whole game, and doing so completely ignoring the coaches and training staff. In fact he is stronger now then he was 5 years ago but he is 10 times slower and wears down heavily as the game and season goes on. The guy failed a physical 2 years in a row going into mini camp becuase he was fat as heck. Thats not leading by example in the offseason. Maybe he can be a leader in the locker room but he hasnt shown to be a leader anywhere else.

Here is an article by Rick Gosselin one of the most respected Dallas sports reporter state wide and nationally, and has the most inside connections to the Cowboys. He wrote a similar piece a year ago when Allen failed his precamp physical before camp for a 2nd straight year. So he isnt crying over spilled milk.

Yes, $5 mill is too much, I just think a left side of Leonard Davis and Larry Allen would have made a nice situation for 3rd or 4th and short and is better than Leonard Davis and Reggie Wells at least in the short-run.

I tell you talking about the Cardinals offensive line is becoming a lot like the McCown threads with the difference in opinions.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:
I tell you talking about the Cardinals offensive line is becoming a lot like the McCown threads with the difference in opinions.

:thumbup:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Goodyear Card said:
Harry,

I agree. I am also concerned with talent on the OL. Heck, I would even consider releasing Big and his $7 million salary so we could sign two OL. For $7 million I want an OL who can hear/remember the snap count. However, we signed James, Warner, Wells, Clancy and Brown in free agency. Would you rather sign McCown or another OL? Back-up QBs are back-ups for a reason. There are no talented back-up QBs. I will agree RB was not a major need for the team but signing James was a major improvement for the team.

Since we have an offensive line problem why would we get rid of our best OLineman in big? He is potentially a pro bowl player. One very good player for two mediocre players at best? Do not think so.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Weak year is an understatement. When a guy like Larry Allen (who is so far over the hill that he can't even remember where the hill was) is paid $4m+ per year, then you know the pickings were slim.

If given the choice between James or Hutch, I think the Cards made the right decision.

The Shark

PS I might be soaked in kool aid, but between Mitch and Harry, there is way too much hand-wringing going on here. Take a pill and relax, guys, there is at least a small chance that Green knows what he is doing.

We will get two chances to see how over the hill Larry Allen is? He is older but by no means dead. Seattle management is not dumb and do not throw their money away on has beens. They went rather far last year.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
john h said:
We will get two chances to see how over the hill Larry Allen is? He is older but by no means dead. Seattle management is not dumb and do not throw their money away on has beens. They went rather far last year.

You mean the 49ers don't you John? Not Seattle. Allen signed with the 49ers.

seesred

Reaction score
THe signing of Allen reminds me a lot of the Emitt Smith adventure ride. A team teh niners are desperate for fan approval go out and sign a nasty old O-line guy to instill confidence in the fan base that good things are coming. IMO Allen will have a rough time justing getting up for all the losses the Niners are in for. And, IF, he plays half the games I will be surprised. On top of that 4 Million other reasons not to have taken him.

GBR

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
seesred said:
THe signing of Allen reminds me a lot of the Emitt Smith adventure ride. A team teh niners are desperate for fan approval go out and sign a nasty old O-line guy to instill confidence in the fan base that good things are coming. IMO Allen will have a rough time justing getting up for all the losses the Niners are in for. And, IF, he plays half the games I will be surprised. On top of that 4 Million other reasons not to have taken him.

GBR

Larry Allen played in all of the offensive snaps last season for the Cowboys.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Who wouldn't like to have a player like Larry Allen? The Niners seriously overpaid for him so it would have been expensive for the Cards too. Too expensive.

If the Cards don't come out of this draft with at least 2 good OL and 1 good interior DL, I will be concerned.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
Who wouldn't like to have a player like Larry Allen? The Niners seriously overpaid for him so it would have been expensive for the Cards too. Too expensive.

If the Cards don't come out of this draft with at least 2 good OL and 1 good interior DL, I will be concerned.

I would have liked Larry Allen instead of Pete Kendall many years ago, but the 2006 version? No thanks. Didn't we learn anything from the Emmitt debacle?

The Shark

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser