free agents

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I agree. Cap space gets swallowed up fast when a team has a lot of guys to re-sign. A good example is Seattle with plenty of cap space as long as they don't re-sign Ray Allen, Jerome James, Reggie Evens, Ronald Murrary, Vladimir Radmanovic Antonio Daniels (player option),and Danny Fortson (player option).

Just two small remarks:

1. There is no way that Fortson doesn't pick his player option so he won't be a FA.

2. There is no point for the Sonics to re-sign Murray especially that they (would) have to spend a lot of money on other own FA's.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I'm still trying to figure out who will be on the market. RFAs rarely change teams unless the relationship is poor, and I also think that some of the big UFAs, like Allen and Ilgauskas, will stay where they are after making some noise about leaving.

So the decent players who look (at least to me) like good candidates to change teams are

Shareef Abdur-Rahim
Chris Andersen
Kwame Brown
Kerry Kittles
Donyell Marshall
Mikki Moore
Michael Redd
Glenn Robinson
Bobby Simmons
Latrell Sprewell
Damon Stoudamire
Stromile Swift
Antoine Walker
Bonzi Wells

Those seem to be the likely targets of teams with cap space. But obviously there are more of them then there are big salary slots across the league, which means that many of them will have to settle for the MLE. Not all of those players are worth the full MLE, of course, but many of them will be bargains at that price.

The Suns really should have the "pick of the litter" as far as MLE signings go. It is an organization on the upswing that plays a fun style and can promise good minutes to any good player. The starting slots are probably not up for grabs, but it's obvious to anyone following the league -- and that probably includes the players, or at least their agents -- that the Suns can easily accommodate another bench player at 25 minutes per game.

So, who will they get? To me that's a more interesting question than who they will draft (not to undercut the draft discussion), because my guess is that their MLE player will contribute more next year than their player at #21.

Hmm, maybe I'll start a poll.

Looking at that list, the only three I would target are Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Donyell Marshall, and Chris Anderson. I would stay away from everyone else especially Swift, who is still raw offensively to help our offense.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Don't forget Earl Watson, he's a great on the ball defender, just needs to work on his 3 point shooting.

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Looking at that list, the only three I would target are Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Donyell Marshall, and Chris Anderson. I would stay away from everyone else especially Swift, who is still raw offensively to help our offense.

The more I think about it SAR might really be the guy to target. The guy has got to be tired of losing and also not having the label of being an underachiever because he was always considered the guy to carry the team. Since he probably now knows his limitations he might actually prefer to be on a contender vs. the go to guy on a hapless team.

fordronken

Reaction score
Theoretically, could the Cavs use their cap space on a guy like Michael Redd, then, once over the cap, simply re-sign Ilgauskas? It seems like there are a lot of people they'd rather use their money on than Ilgauskas. Reports of Redd and Curry have been pretty common.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
fordronken said:
Theoretically, could the Cavs use their cap space on a guy like Michael Redd, then, once over the cap, simply re-sign Ilgauskas? It seems like there are a lot of people they'd rather use their money on than Ilgauskas. Reports of Redd and Curry have been pretty common.

Z was paid just under $15 million this past season. The Cavs have to either sign him to a smaller contract or else renounce his Bird rights to have the cap space to go after guys like Redd and Curry.

cly2tw

Reaction score
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?p=722132#post722132

From the above list, these UFAs may be interesting for us for from the MLE to min.

Gary Payton Boston Unrestricted F.A.
Adrian Griffin Chicago Unrestricted F.A.
Robert Traylor Cleveland Unrestricted F.A.
Dajuan Wagner Cleveland Unrestricted F.A.
Kareem Rush Charlotte Unrestricted F.A.
Dikembe Mutombo Houston Unrestricted F.A.
Mikki Moore L.A. Clippers Unrestricted F.A.
Stromile Swift Memphis Unrestricted F.A.
Ervin Johnson Minnesota Unrestricted F.A.
Mark Madsen Minnesota Unrestricted F.A.
Lee Nailon New Orleans Unrestricted F.A.
Andrew DeClercq Orlando Unrestricted F.A.
Bobby Jackson Sacramento Unrestricted F.A.
Donyell Marshall Toronto Unrestricted F.A.
Raja Bell Utah Unrestricted F.A.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What about Glen Robinson? I think this guy would fit in nicely with our style of play. SA doesn't run enough for him to really take his game to the next level. He showed he could be a player. If the price is right, I'd like to see him on the Suns next season. ;)

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It would be excellent for the Suns to get Robinson, IF they end up trading Richardson for Joe Smith instead of Thomas. Then they'd have two former #1 overall picks as role players, which would probably be unprecedented.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Raja Bell is an excellent defender who can shoot the open jumper and 3s. We'd have no problem defensively with Parker or Billups. How much would he cost? Would he come for the 1.7 mil slot?

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
The Suns weren't willing to Draft Francisco Garcia at #21 but they're going to go after a lesser value player for more money than the Pick itself? :shrug:

Unless the Suns get Dalembert or Swift, I will be upset...

cly2tw

Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
The Suns weren't willing to Draft Francisco Garcia at #21 but they're going to go after a lesser value player for more money than the Pick itself? :shrug:

Unless the Suns get Dalembert or Swift, I will be upset...

For most posters here, they'd be upset if they did get one of them, since it'd mean that Marion was traded away for that. ;)

But Bell is a vet, has proven himself against the best out there, and is a much surer thing than any draftees including Garica.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
For most posters here, they'd be upset if they did get one of them, since it'd mean that Marion was traded away for that. ;)

But Bell is a vet, has proven himself against the best out there, and is a much surer thing than any draftees including Garica.

I agree, and on top of that they traded the pick to complete the deal for Kurt Thomas. We can argue all day about whether they gave up too much in the deal, but the move was part of the deal.

Joe Mama

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
alright, so 9pm tonight: who's door will they be knocking at this time? finley? payton? marshall?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Raja Bell for the LLE is good value and a good fit, too. It's probably not enough money though.

sunsfn

Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Raja Bell is an excellent defender who can shoot the open jumper and 3s. We'd have no problem defensively with Parker or Billups. How much would he cost? Would he come for the 1.7 mil slot?

Raja Bell salary last year was $1,320.000

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
anyone think we might be able to get Chris Duhon? Slim to none I'd bet but I think he'd be a great floor general type here. 8 3s against Atlanta too.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
panfolk said:
anyone think we might be able to get Chris Duhon? Slim to none I'd bet but I think he'd be a great floor general type here. 8 3s against Atlanta too.

We've heard that Jay Williams has had some good workouts. I'd like to see if he can play.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Williams a score first combo guard or am I mistaken? I don't follow the East much except for a couple teams.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
Raja Bell for the LLE is good value and a good fit, too. It's probably not enough money though.
Whoa afew of you guys nailed it.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Othella Harrington? He's restricted but Chicago can't offer much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan