Friends (1994-2004)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synopsis:
Six young men and women live in the same apartment complex and face life and love together in Manhattan, New York City. As they're constantly sticking their noses into each another's businesses, as well as sometimes swapping romantic partners, the group always get into the kind of comic situations that most other people never experience, especially during breakups.

Creators:
David Crane, Marta Kauffman

Starring:
Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matt LeBlanc, Matthew Perry, David Schwimmer

Seasons:
10 (236 Episodes)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Matthew Perry died and my daughter visited from college she found herself watching the show again. Now when she comes home she watches more of it. Now my younger daughter, wife and myself find ourselves revisiting the show. Aside from some jokes that are borderline today the show holds up remarkably well. We find ourselves laughing constantly. Such a great cast and hilarious writing. One of the best sitcoms of all time.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evidently there has been almost a billion minutes streamed (with almost a 50% spike in ratings) since Perry died. That is unheard for a show that ended 20 years ago.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wife & I started re-watching the old Bob Newhart show. It's still freaking hilarious 40+ years later. We already went through every episode of Adam 12 & now decided to re-watch BN.
Out of the blue a few years ago I re-watched SOAP and Sanford and Son.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of half hour comedies but in the last decade or so I've watched/rewatched (and enjoyed) Get Smart, SOAP, Mary Tyler Moore, WKRP, MASH, Bob Newhart Show, Cheers, Taxi, Night Court, Cybil and The Nanny.

I've tried to watch Friends several times but the humor just doesn't work for me. I loved Murphy Brown until the pregnancy and then never watched it again. Seinfeld went from being my favorite show to something I just couldn't bear to see another moment of.

I liked Newsradio a lot but just one too many Dick's on that show (namely Andy) so I finally gave up on it. I also liked Grace Under Fire until fame and/or alcohol took their toll on Brett Butler. I liked Arrested Development but never went back to it after if was first cancelled. And off the top of my head I think that's pretty much the sum total of my sitcom experience through the years except for catching a random episode here and there.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of half hour comedies but in the last decade or so I've watched/rewatched (and enjoyed) Get Smart, SOAP, Mary Tyler Moore, WKRP, MASH, Bob Newhart Show, Cheers, Taxi, Night Court, Cybil and The Nanny.

I've tried to watch Friends several times but the humor just doesn't work for me. I loved Murphy Brown until the pregnancy and then never watched it again. Seinfeld went from being my favorite show to something I just couldn't bear to see another moment of.

I liked Newsradio a lot but just one too many Dick's on that show (namely Andy) so I finally gave up on it. I also liked Grace Under Fire until fame and/or alcohol took their toll on Brett Butler. I liked Arrested Development but never went back to it after if was first cancelled. And off the top of my head I think that's pretty much the sum total of my sitcom experience through the years except for catching a random episode here and there.
For half hour comedies that are more recent, you can't go wrong with Parks and Rec and What We Do in the Shadows.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For half hour comedies that are more recent, you can't go wrong with Parks and Rec and What We Do in the Shadows.
I think P&R will work for us, we liked the few episodes we watched. I'm not familiar with Shadows so I'll check it out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think P&R will work for us, we liked the few episodes we watched. I'm not familiar with Shadows so I'll check it out.
Shadows is absolutely hilarious.

A great new sitcom is English Teacher on Hulu. Smart, sweet and genuinely funny, while adeptly commenting on what teachers are dealing with today’s kids. Not raunchy at all. Just really good clean fun with a big heart… while not being schmaltzy either.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shadows is absolutely hilarious.

A great new sitcom is English Teacher on Hulu. Smart, sweet and genuinely funny, while adeptly commenting on what teachers are dealing with today’s kids. Not raunchy at all. Just really good clean fun with a big heart… while not being schmaltzy either.
I just dumped Hulu but I'll pay for it again in a few months so I'll give it a try then. It sounds like our kind of show.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Go a little further back and you'll find a couple more.

Sanford and Son
All in the Family
The Jefferson's
The Golden Girls
Rowan and Martin's, Laugh In

More that I can't think of or remember. :rolleyes: :sad: :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go a little further back and you'll find a couple more.

Sanford and Son
All in the Family
The Jefferson's
The Golden Girls
Rowan and Martin's, Laugh In

More that I can't think of or remember. :rolleyes: :sad: :)
Well, actually, Get Smart predates all of them. But sure, I've watched a lot of Sanford and Son, All in the Family, The Jefferson's and the Golden Girls but I never found any of them to be can't miss TV. So I never sat down to watch any of them, they were just always on. I watched every episode of Laugh-In when it was first ran. As a 13 year old in 67 when it started, I was mesmerized by the quick paced humor not to mention developing a lifelong crush on Goldie Hawn.

But that reminds me of another TV show that I watched regularly and re-watched a few years ago. It didn't really pass the test of time but Barney Miller was great back then.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Those are good shows. I also like the variety shows, Carol Burnett, Laugh In, Smothers Brothers, and one that my dad really liked, Red Skelton.
:thumbup:
All shows listed were great.
Forgot about Dick van Dyke.

There's more, but just can't recall them all :Dright now:bang:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bob Newhart show was good

Hmmm,... maybe get a semi sci-fi fix and look for The Six Million Dollar Man?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgreendtc