Gambinos threatening Donaghy; coaches and "validators" implicated as well?

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
REF'S HIT WITH SOME BAD CALLS
COPS RESPOND TO DEATH THREATS

July 23, 2007 -- The allegedly dirty NBA referee who's set to sing in a mob point-shaving scandal sought police protection yesterday - after receiving threats that he could be whacked, cops said.

Three Manatee County Sheriff's squad cars screeched up to the Bradenton, Fla., home of terrified former NBA official Tim Donaghy to investigate menacing telephone calls against him.

"Our concern is for his safety and his family's safety," said Sheriff's Lt. Robert Mealy. "We are definitely going to share any information we get with the FBI."

The rogue ref's family is even urging him to enter the federal witness-protection program, one friend said.

"They think he will be killed if he goes to prison, or even if he doesn't, just because he's probably talking, cooperating, and that's ratting on the mob," the pal said. "I don't think [the Mafia] would take that very well.

"[Relatives] are very concerned for his safety," the friend added. "I think they knew something serious was going on, but not like this, not this big, whole life-or-death issue with the Mafia. I mean, it's the Gambinos."

Mealy declined to reveal more details of the threats against Donaghy, who is being investigated by federal authorities for allegedly working with mobsters tied to the Gambino crime family to fix the scores of NBA games to pay off his gambling debts.

The disgraced ref is said to be set to spill all - threatening to bring down anyone and everyone with him, sources said. He'll be naming names of other refs, coaches, players and game "validators," who sit unobtrusively in the stands to review calls on the court, the source said.

"There are other allegations of gambling that the FBI will run down," based on Donaghy's talk so far, one source said.

"Everybody's pointing a finger at everyone else."

Donaghy's name came to the attention of feds during wiretap probes of Gambino mobsters.

Yesterday, "he received some threatening phone calls, and he wanted them documented," Mealy said. "I know Mr. Donaghy was concerned."

Donaghy, 40, resigned from the NBA shortly after this past season amid then-undisclosed allegations that he bet on games he officiated.

Feds have not yet revealed which games they are probing.

Several friends in Cape May, N.J., where his parents summer, said Donaghy's co-workers grew suspicious of his behavior about three years ago, when he would offer to trade free tickets to certain games with some refs in exchange for others - and then suddenly renege.

"He just started screwing them," one friend said. "Tickets started going missing, misplaced . . . It was no longer, 'Hey, Tim's kind of an a- - hole.' It became, 'Tim is f- - - ing with the NBA.' And that's when they stopped trusting him completely."

Retired dentist John Minutella of West Chester, Pa., where Donaghy grew up and worked at a golf course, recounted a horrific prank Donaghy pulled on him 10 years ago, when the embattled ref put a dead bird in his golf bag. Minutella found the maggot-infested carcass 24 hours later.

"Nobody wanted to play golf with him," said Minutella, 64. " I can't say one nice thing about him. I believe this guy was almost soulless."

Additional reporting by David K. Li and Stefanie Cohen in New York and Tom Liddy in West Chester, Pa.

[email protected]

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
What I worry about the most is will they release a document of his testimony so we know everybody he points out? So that we know if they manage to dodge this bullet who to keep an eye on?

Worst case scenario is if his testimony is not released to the public and we are left clueless about who he accused and how vast the problem is etc.

The fbi better do their job and that means during or at least when the storm is over is make the documents public.

Stern will do his best to keep this completely under wraps, so he cannot have a say in any of this after his embarrasing performance lately.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
If he does make a list, it most likely wont be released right away, but rest assured whoever is fingered and convicted in this scandal will be made public

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Stern holding a press conference this week:

Stern Expected To Hold News Conference

July 23, 2007 - 7:35 am
New York Times -

David Stern, the N.B.A. commissioner, is expected to hold a news conference this week — perhaps as early as today — to discuss the league’s involvement in the F.B.I.’s gambling investigation of the referee Tim Donaghy.

According to two people briefed on the investigation, the N.B.A. had no knowledge of Donaghy’s betting and questions as to whether he influenced the outcomes of games until after the season. These people spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way.

Donaghy last worked May 12, in Game 3 of the Western Conference semifinals between Phoenix and San Antonio.

N.B.A. referees are prohibited from betting on any sport; sufficient evidence of gambling would result in immediate termination. Donaghy is no longer working for the N.B.A

OP
OP
S

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Stern will obviously do his best to whitewash the affair, claiming that only one individual was involved and that the actual outcomes of games was not decided by the individual in question.

Considering that hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake, Federal Agents are not above playing politics either. In fact that's what they do. The FBI has a long history of collusion with organized crime. It is possible that all concerned will attempt to minimize the scandal and use the "bad apple" defense, depending on how far up the latter it really goes.

The best we can hope for is that the true scope of the corruption is made known, and all games which were not called fairly are made public. I wouldn't (ahem) bet on it, however.

OP
OP
S

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
ESPN.com: So explain then, how a referee could control the outcome of a game so that he or associates of his could win a bet?

BL: Totally with the fouls he calls. If he has fixed the total and has a number he's thinking of, he can get the team in the bonus earlier in the quarter. Let's say he wants a final score where both teams tally more than 205 points and he needs 59 points in the fourth quarter to make that happen. If he puts both teams in the penalty with 8:00 to go and every foul is a free throw, it's not too hard to have a 60-point quarter.

ESPN.com: So what do you think, given your experience, might have happened with Tim Donaghy?

BL: You see a lot of calls in the NBA, "Hey -- he didn't even touch him." But he's [under suspicion] because they will go back and watch every game he officiated, know the spread, know the totals, they'll watch the fourth quarter and they'll know exactly what games he [allegedly] fixed. One hundred percent, no questions asked, they'll know exactly.
They just have to look at the fourth quarter. That's where you'd be able to tell. I'm telling you -- it would have to be the total, not the winners or losers. You can't dictate a side, especially in the NBA. He couldn't take that chance. If someone gets injured or doesn't show up or is having a terrible night or whatever, you can't do it. But manipulating the total you can control from the very tip. If you need an over, a referee can dictate a high- or low-scoring game just by how he's calling it. It's going to come out.

--

Interesting. So in essence he's saying that they wouldn't try to fix the game in terms of which side would win, but certain calls (especially in the fourth quarter) could still decide the outcome of a game incidentally -- that is, by the fact that the game is being officiated for a reason other than whether or not a foul actually took place.

Either way the "win" is tainted.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Man, I hope he gets the names out and people get punished. Stern most likley is the mob boss anyways. Why doesn't he get punished when this happened under his watch?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
--

Interesting. So in essence he's saying that they wouldn't try to fix the game in terms of which side would win, but certain calls (especially in the fourth quarter) could still decide the outcome of a game incidentally -- that is, by the fact that the game is being officiated for a reason other than whether or not a foul actually took place.

Either way the "win" is tainted.
On the other hand, trying to fix the over-underspread can most definitely affect which team wins, the snowball effect is completely valid here imo.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
*sigh*

This thing is going to get ugly. It's almost enough for me to say, "Screw the NBA, I'm done."

I don't think it's fair to take out this frustration on the Suns though.

I hate this.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember with me, D'Antoni screaming to the referees late in a game, something to the effect... why call it now. I believe it was late in a SA game (perhaps even game 3) when Steve Nash finally started getting foul calls after the game had already been decided. Nash had not been given the calls earlier in the game. Why not? He was clearly being bludgeoned by Bowen and company all game.

nowagimp

Reaction score
On the other hand, trying to fix the over-underspread can most definitely affect which team wins, the snowball effect is completely valid here imo.

Yeah, you sure could hold the game "under" by sittng amare down with 2 quick fouls early, but I doubt the suns would win then. When the mob is involved, there will likely be a network of conspirators, not just donaghy, its very sad for the NBA.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anyone remember with me, D'Antoni screaming to the referees late in a game, something to the effect... why call it now. I believe it was late in a SA game (perhaps even game 3) when Steve Nash finally started getting foul calls after the game had already been decided. Nash had not been given the calls earlier in the game. Why not? He was clearly being bludgeoned by Bowen and company all game.

This was in game 3

fordronken

Reaction score
If Greg Poppovich has been paying off the mob, I will feel validated in all the anger I've had for the last three years.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score

Your memory serves you well. From Simmons' story a couple days after

Other than the latest call in NBA history (a shooting foul for Manu Ginobili whistled three seconds after the play, when everyone was already running in the other direction), my favorite moment happened near the end, when the game was already over and they called a cheap bump on Bruce Bowen against Nash, so the cameras caught Mike D'Antoni (the most entertaining coach in the league if he's not getting calls) screaming sarcastically, "Why start now? Why bother?" What a travesty. Not since the cocaine era from 1978-1986 has the league faced a bigger ongoing issue than crappy officiating.

I would REALLY love to see a D'antoni interview this week on his opinion/reaction to the whole thing. Im surprised we havent seen a breaking news bulletin about him turning into the Tazmanian Devil and raging and rampaging through the streets.

You must be registered for see images

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
D'Antoni will take the high road IMO, but I would love to hear his real thoughts.

Anyone hear Nash's reaction? It was pretty dang funny.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni will take the high road IMO, but I would love to hear his real thoughts.

Anyone hear Nash's reaction? It was pretty dang funny.

No I didn't..... link?

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
ESPN has a video of Kobe and Nash's reaction on their little side player on the nba page. Labeled Bryant, Nash React to Referee News It was when the story first broke, I believe before Donaghy was named.

something along the lines of

WHOAH! Was he in game 5?!?! Uh, no comment I mean

edit: its on page 3 of 3 on the side video player

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser