Gambo and Ash actually had a good topic today.

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know it's rare, but they were discussing the topic of Paul Tagliabue's contributions to the league. Their prime question, "In 1985 Baseball and Football had an equal number of fans who claimed then as their favorite sport where as today 33% claim Football to 14% claiming Baseball. What caused this to happen?"

I heard a lot of answers, but no one expressed my point of view. That is that since the advent of television Football has slowly overtaken Baseball as America's favorite sport. The "National Pasttime" actually plays pretty well on the radio. On TV it's the perfect sport to take a nap to. Tag had nothing to do with the ratings, it was just another generation coming of age, able to see both products on the boobtube and being able to clearly identify which was superior.

Another thing to consider. Football got 33% ,Baseball 14%. basketball and Nascar were probably the next two and you Know that their fans woud list Football as their #2 well before they'd mention Baseball. So, from that perspective, Baseball is probably even less popular than they realized.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Gambo and Ash actually had a good topic today

You mean it wasnt listening to them dial the phone for 20 minutes looking for someone to say I wanna golf and I listen to AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AMA MA AM AM AM AM ...............................

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
I like Gambo and Ash.

They are the best show in phoenix.

Bob Kemp is an idiot and Dickley and Jurecky are even worse

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo is an idiot....but Ash keeps him in check, and the show is actually pretty enjoyable most of the time.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Those guys are idiots, but football is an easier sport to follow. Only 16 regular season weeks, people are usually free on Sundays, and you can catch all the games by watching TV on Sunday.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
MastersofCombat said:
Gambo and Ash actually had a good topic today

You mean it wasnt listening to them dial the phone for 20 minutes looking for someone to say I wanna golf and I listen to AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AM AMA MA AM AM AM AM ...............................

This is my favorite portion of the show. It kills me when they get someone to fall for their act.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think baseball has taken the same steps as football to make the playing field equal. By that I mean you have the large budget teams in baseball that can afford all the good players (Yankees) and you have small market teams with small minded owners like Carl Pohald who can't field a competive team year after year.

With the NFL each team spends up to the same amount each year where the only advantage the heavy revenue teams have it to give more guaranteed or upfront money

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many strikes did baseball have in there? the NFL strike was 82 so the main reason IMHO baseball lost ground was the strikes.

I never came back after the '95 strike, I think I've attended 1 game since then.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Football is simply more fun to watch on TV. I can sit on the couch watching football for three hours or more and watch teams that I have no vested interest in. However, I struggle to make it through a baseball game when my favorite team is playing. Luckily now that I have a DVR and can fastforward through all the BS (stepping in and out of the batter’s box, continuous throws to first, arguments with the umps). I sometimes even fastforward between pitches.

Strikes don't bother me at all. I just find something else to do with my time.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I must say though, listening to a free-throw contest on the radio is really boring.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
I must say though, listening to a free-throw contest on the radio is really boring.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

No kidding. This is the worst idea in the history of radio.